Favorite boosts/ODs with Archon?

Anyone find a good amp in abox for the Archon? I tend to stick to boosts but similar to my Shiva, the Archon takes pedals well.

Anyone find a good amp in abox for the Archon? I tend to stick to boosts but similar to my Shiva, the Archon takes pedals well.

My Barber Direct Drive, and my BSIAB both KILL on the clean channel for low to mid gain M type tones.

I liked the Wampler Pleaxi Deluxe Drive in the Clean channel. I used the Mad Professor Trimble with my MT-15 for a while. Liked that. Actually, back to boost, and such, you should check out the DryBell Unit 67. Amazing pedal.

My Barber Direct Drive, and my BSIAB both KILL on the clean channel for low to mid gain M type tones.
Thanks, you mentioned the Direct Drive and I want to check it out. Also looking at the Revv G2. Looks like a killer OD, amp in a box and boost.

Actually I hear the Origin Effects are incredible. Next level stuff...

I have the MT15 and recently (two days ago) got the new Archon 50. I use a Moskey Silver Horse to boost for leads. It doesn't really color the tone but lifts it a little and fattens it up a bit.

Thanks on the Moskey Silver Horse.

What do you guys find is best for leads, a loop EQ or boost or a pedal in front of the amp?

I'm looking at a modified Tube Screamer or TS9/808, JHS Haunting Mids or Barber Gain Changer.

The Silver Horse has plenty of gain in the pedal, but you really don't need it. I keep the gain on the pedal at 9'oclock. The Archon already has plenty of gain, so all is really needed is a boost to goose it up a bit louder. I also have the Golden Horse and it does a great job as well. It has a slightly different profile from the Silver Horse, and the Silver has a switch that will actually let the pedal do the same voicing as the Golden. Both of those pedals are in the $28-35 price range.

If you want a loud pedal, the Plumes Overdrive is really good. It has three different voicings and can easily goose the volume up for solos. I keep that one on my board along with the silver and golden horse.

To answer your question from before: I find that a pedal in front of the amp is nice for leads.

The Silver Horse has plenty of gain in the pedal, but you really don't need it. I keep the gain on the pedal at 9'oclock. The Archon already has plenty of gain, so all is really needed is a boost to goose it up a bit louder. I also have the Golden Horse and it does a great job as well. It has a slightly different profile from the Silver Horse, and the Silver has a switch that will actually let the pedal do the same voicing as the Golden. Both of those pedals are in the $28-35 price range.

Right, unless you are running the gain on the Archon low.

For leads, I often like to add some saturation and mids. Just a bit!

I also use an EQ in the loop to increase mids.

I use the OD up front more for shaping my tone and adding a bit more saturation for leads. But the Archon does well on its own, especially since I biased my tubes hot!

I have the Koko Boost. Isn't it essentially a tube screamer? I have a JHS Bonsai and Horizon Devices Precision Drive and it can be hard to tell the difference.

No, it's a clean boost with a sweepable mid EQ option that is engaged by holding the foot switch down a couple of seconds. It's not a tube screamer or dirt pedal. Different function.

I call it my "better-maker" pedal because I usually just run it without the mid accent, at close to unity gain. Gives everything a very nice polish.

Yeah, it is.

Nope, see above.

I've had one on my board since the 'Reloaded' version came out. It's on the upper right. The original wasn't a tube screamer, either.

zEmAL5C.jpg

Edit: The pedalboard pic is completely gratuitous, of course. I'm that guy who shares pedalboard pics. Pedalboards are interesting snd fun.

Last edited:
To answer your question from before: I find that a pedal in front of the amp is nice for leads.
A tube screamer works wonders...

Catalinbread Maxon 808 - complex, creamy mids.
Revv G2 - has huge full mids

I decided to sell my Koko Boost. It just wasn't doing it for me. I never used it.
I don't use clean boosts and I found the Xotic EP better in that regard and I have found better mid boost pedals.

Last edited:
You should have told me. Maybe we could have worked out something tradewise for one of my Gain Changers

You should have told me. Maybe we could have worked out something tradewise for one of my Gain Changers
Hi...
Well I didn't sell it yet! I placed it on TGP but Didn't add to Reverb or Ebay.
We could still work it out if you like!?

So I have been. Looking at a few things.
A pedal to boost for leads, fat mids, saturated, creamy mids and also somethinf that can be a standalone OD into a clean amp at times.
The Revv G2 and Catalinbread Maxon 808 seems like it could too.

Curious why you prefer this to am EQ or miss boost in the loop? For most high gain amps, I figure shaping the amp, like pushing midrange, seems to be good after the preamp. No?
I think you get a better EQ adjustment after the preamp, but you get saturation boosting the front of the amp.

I find it depends on thr amount of gain used. I use a good amount of gain, so I prefer an EQ in thr loop.
When using low to medium gain, I prefer a boost in front of the amp. With a properly built EQ, I can place it in front of the amp or in the loop.

That is why I like the pedal out front. I am usually looking to just bring up the tone that I am already using. I keep the gain on my Archon 50 mk II at about noon-ish. I find the Silver Horse introduces enough mids to broaden out my lead tone without heaping on the gain.

Back