Favorite acoustic guitar albums

james

Administrator
Staff member
The wife loves the early Iron and Wine stuff. I do too.

Top two albums that come to mind:

Jack Rose - Kensington Blues
John Fahey - The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death

Looking for recommendations

Phil Keaggy....."Acoustic Sketches"

1250790.jpg

Bert Jansch did a bunch of classic stuff, and the acoustic band Pentangle he was in during the late 60s-early 70s had a classic album called "Basket of Light" that is fantastic. Leo Kottke has always done wonderful, classic work. Of course, there are the PRS endorsers as well.

Michael Hedges was an amazing acoustic guitar player, caught him live a few years back before his untimely passing. Amazing. His album "Aerial Boundaries" is worth its weight in gold.

Paul Simon is pretty darned good. Al Dimeola's acoustic work on the classic Return to Forever album, "Romantic Warrior" is astounding. There are so many others who've made significant contributions, but these aren't bad places to begin.

Bert Jansch did a bunch of classic stuff, and the acoustic band Pentangle he was in during the late 60s-early 70s had a classic album called "Basket of Light" that is fantastic. Leo Kottke has always done wonderful, classic work. Of course, there are the PRS endorsers as well.

The Bert Jansch self titled album is so good. Also listen to the double Pentangle album Sweet Child a lot.

Also really like Bill Fay, Davy Graham, John and Beverly Martyn, Kevin Ayers, Fairport Convention, etc

Ever heard Michael Chapman? New to me, but liking it

dwightyoakamacoustic.net by Dwight Yoakam. Awesome album and no, that is not a website, it's the album title.

Hedges was unbelievable. Les is right - Aerial Boundaries is an absolute gem, but I've always been partial to Taproot. I was fortunate enough to see him three times and get to talk to him. I saw him about two weeks before he died. Two very cool things - one was getting him to sign a pic of him that may be the finest picture I've ever taken and give him a really cool pic that seemed to touch him. The other thing was that it was one of the most incredible nights of guitar playing I've ever seen, and I've been lucky enough to see some transcendent players. On that last tour, Hedges and his guitars were truly one - he played guitar like I breathe, like it was nothing more than just a natural act. I told my wife when I got home that night that it was unlike anything I'd ever seen a musician do. Days later and it was all gone. His death hit me harder than I would have expected. My wife had our kids at her mother's a couple days after Hedges was found and my son said "Daddy's sad because the guitar man died."

I love all acoustic but as far as playing, I am definitely more of a nylon guy.
I can listen to Sabicas play all day long. His technique and musicality are unsurpassed.
Hearing him play duets with Mario Escudero, one of the few guitarists Sabicas respected, is a treat.
The CD of "The Fantastic Guitars of Sabicas and Escudero" also contains "Flamenco Styles on Two Guitars" which were released as two separate albums.
Even if you don't dig Flamenco, these guys really can play. Every guitarist should check it out.

'Sounds of Wood and Steel' is something that I think Taylor guitars produced to showcase their endorsees maybe? Some really nice playing on there and I found some great players through listening to it.

Sacksioni and/or Akkerman

Harry Sacksioni, or Jan Akkerman - both on acoustics in this clip
I got me Harry's "While my guitar gently weeps" double CD last year - great stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back