Fatter Wide Thin Necks

LFliegs

Wide fat fanatic
Here’s a question for folks that are pickier on necks.

Looking at Wildwood neck measurements and it seems there are some fatter Wide Thin necks that measure in the zone of my preferred Wide Fat carve in thickness (.84-.85, but who’s counting?).

Have any folks who prefer thicker necks played/purchased a Wide Thin that is on the fat side? Are the shoulders similar or does the neck feel different even though it measures out thicker?

I like what neck feels good in my hand. With that said, my preferred carbs are regular/pattern and wide-thin/pattern-thin. I always felt that the more newer pattern -thin necks are just a bit thicker (in a good way) than the original wide-thin necks from 85 through the 90s.

The pattern thin on my private stock is just fantastic. I did not have that Guitar made for me. I bought it preowned. But it feels like it was made for me. I also have a 1990 custom 24 which has the thinnest of wide sing next I’ve ever played and I like it but not something I look for. I also find regular/pattern to be a delightful carve. I don’t fancy fatter/thicker neck carves.

I don't have as much experience with the wide thin necks as I do the wide fat necks. I can tell you that over the years there has been a lot of variation in them. I have two that are pretty darn chunky compared to my others. They are both from 2006 and are comparable to the neck on a 594 and may be even fatter than the 594. I have to believe that these variations exist in the wide thin necks as well.

In my earlier reply, I mentioned my 1990, custom 24 with a rather thin, wide-thin carve, here’s a photo you could zoom in and see how thin it is. It came out of the factory this way.

ZbMY7oX.jpg

Back