Famous PRS artists.

Since 1985, Ted Nugent has always played PRS guitars along with his Byrdland and Les Paul guitars.

DSC_2515-353x.jpg

mclaughlin-with-prs-andrea-palmucci-460-85.jpg

Have you noticed that most of the replies were about older guitarists from the days of the guitar hero, and to be honest I didn't even know who Zach Myers or Mark Holcomb was before I came on this site, -plus- when I went online to hear them I was not impressed. In todays music climate the exceptional guitarist isn't so important anymore and neither is validation that your favorite picker uses a PRS. There are more Fenders & Gibsons out there than PRS, so the math is simple.

I'm one of those cats that has been playing PRS so long that other guitars feel like crap to me, (I wonder how many of you feel the same way,) so the real guitar heroes to me are you guys, the PRS addicts on this board. Forget Ted, Carlos, AL D, & Howard, you guys are the validation.

Have you noticed that most of the replies were about older guitarists from the days of the guitar hero, and to be honest I didn't even know who Zach Myers or Mark Holcomb was before I came on this site, -plus- when I went online to hear them I was not impressed. In todays music climate the exceptional guitarist isn't so important anymore and neither is validation that your favorite picker uses a PRS. There are more Fenders & Gibsons out there than PRS, so the math is simple.

I'm one of those cats that has been playing PRS so long that other guitars feel like crap to me, (I wonder how many of you feel the same way,) so the real guitar heroes to me are you guys, the PRS addicts on this board. Forget Ted, Carlos, AL D, & Howard, you guys are the validation.

Totally agree!!!! I for one will never buy another Gibson again.

Another thread has a related topic, to which I also replied.

While I agree that name-dropping famous artists as a validation for what guitar you play is childish, on the other hand having famous artists play PRS and endorse them helps awareness of the brand. If every album ever made from here on out was recorded using PRS guitars, but the artists played Gibsons or Fenders on stage due to endorsement deals, very few "new guitarists" (i.e. kids watching the TV or at the concert) would know about PRS, and would continue to buy G & F, until the select few get into a recording studio, where they will discover the secret stash of PRS guitars, but still use F & G in stage "for looks".

The only reason I discovered PRS was because Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree played one every time I saw him in concert for a few years in a row. If he had continued to play ESP (I think he played one of those at the first PTree concert I saw), or been playing Les Pauls, I would have bypassed PRS and still be playing just F & G, maybe an ESP.

Great minds think alike shinksma - discovering Porcupine Tree last year was the tipping point for me finally getting a PRS. I had been aware of PRS, and played a few of them over the years, but had pretty much stuck to my G's and F's and my golden era Ibanez Artist and Musician, which are great as well (but the Artist is way too frickin' heavy).

Tom

Another thread has a related topic, to which I also replied.

While I agree that name-dropping famous artists as a validation for what guitar you play is childish, on the other hand having famous artists play PRS and endorse them helps awareness of the brand. If every album ever made from here on out was recorded using PRS guitars, but the artists played Gibsons or Fenders on stage due to endorsement deals, very few "new guitarists" (i.e. kids watching the TV or at the concert) would know about PRS, and would continue to buy G & F, until the select few get into a recording studio, where they will discover the secret stash of PRS guitars, but still use F & G in stage "for looks".

The only reason I discovered PRS was because Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree played one every time I saw him in concert for a few years in a row. If he had continued to play ESP (I think he played one of those at the first PTree concert I saw), or been playing Les Pauls, I would have bypassed PRS and still be playing just F & G, maybe an ESP.

^^^THIS^^^

...just wish Porcupine tree would get back together. I discovered them the year before they broke up and never got to see them live :-(

I discovered PRS guitars when my wife and I were watching a Journey 2001 concert DVD. Neil Schon was playing a PRS that caught my eye to the point where I would tell my wife that someday I'm going to own a PRS like Neil's. That was 2007 when I first saw the guitar and flash forward 8 years later I know own one. So endorsements definitely help sell the brand and if not for Neil playing one I would likely have bought a Gibson this past year not a PRS. FWIW that DVD is a great performance by Journey and we watch it annually.

I saw an artical last night written by Ed Roman saying that Musicians rarely use P R S guitars and he mentioned a bit about this Forum.I have seen some of the top pros using P R S. I have been messing around with guitars for 45 years.I have always wanted to own a P R S .I used Telecasters when I gigged for 12 years ,now I don't gig anymore but I have the best guitar that I have ever owned and I want another.

Last edited:
Whenever I see music videos on the Palladia channel on cable, or on YouTube, I always notice right away a PRS if they are using one.
Yesterday we were watching a Three Doors Down video, and I saw right away a singlecut PRS, and also a doublecut one.

I saw an artical last night written by Ed Roman saying that Musicians rarely use P R S guitars and he mentioned a bit about this Forum.I have seen some of the top pros using P R S. I have been messing around with guitars for 45 years.I have always wanted to own a P R S .I used Telecasters when I gigged for 12 years ,now I don't gig anymore but I have the best guitar that I have ever owned and I want another.
Ed Roman has left the building. Ed's dead baby, Ed's dead.

Yeah, the late Mr. Roman was quite a character, from what I can tell reading his "blogs". He knew a lot of stuff, and had some good ideas, but he had a filter through which he saw everything and seems to have not considered the possibility that others might think differently, or - gasp - that he might be wrong. So read anything you see written by him with a huge grain of salt. He was almost tin-foil-hat material.

The "guitar hero" is not really relevant so much. Zach and Mark a both great players in their own right and do cover a wide variety material if you dig a little deeper. Periphery is one of the more technical bands out there that is making a living. Those guys all got some chops. Zach does another "country" -ish project as well as Shinedown. The only thing I find name dropping handy for is people who have no instrument knowledge or the brand. I can say, "the guitars Santana plays".

:beer:

LOL, that's the one I always have to rely on and even then sometimes I get the :dontknow:? look.
Ha, for me it depends on the demographic of who I'm talking to. I can usually pull someone out of the hat that most people know. :D

@PRSAK - Thank you for that pic of Dicky & Warren. Sweet.

Since I was fortunate enough to purchase my first PRS last month, I've noticed a lot more than before how many professional musicians use them. Not like I didn't look before, but now that I own one and and love it, that fact just seems to be more obvious now to me when it's being used. As I watched the Jazz Fest weekend on cable today, wouldn't you know Ed Sheeran pulls out his aquablue HBII? For the longest time I've wanted an ES 335; guess cause growing up used to love what Clapton did with his; but now, it's the PRS HBII I'm lusting for. That's what's in my sights for my next purchase.

Zafu- Before I purchased my PRS HB I (about 7 years ago) - I played both the HB I and the Gibson ES 335 through the same amp at the store (a Fender Tube amp if I recall correctly). I was looking for same kind of tone you were looking for with respect to Clapton as well as the tone that Larry Carlton gets out of his 335 (admittedly with a dumble amp). At least for me, the HB I was the superior guitar in all respects (tone, playability, quaility). I have not been disappointed and I am sure you will not be disappointed with the HB II - go for it!

Ed Roman had an axe to grind against PRS - rumor had it that he lost his PRS dealership for an undisclosed reason. Afterward, he went on an anti-PRS tear.

He was a real a-hole as far as I'm concerned. It amazes me that folks took his BS seriously, and amazes me even more that they still do.

Back