fake singlecut on ebay

davidb1986

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRS-PAUL-RE...E-/321021116588?pt=Guitar&hash=item4abe5980ac

Fake singlecut.......I posted it on prsforums.com to be reported I will be emailing PRS with the link in a few minutes. Does anyone else know how to get this auction taken off? It has a bid and is a blatant fake. The seller keeps fumbling around with his answers and says he uses a "guitar expert" it validate the guitars he sells but any expert would know its a fake. I think he is trying to pull a big one here.

Looks great for a fake. I just don't understand why he made it so believable (in order to present it as a genuine PRS) and then deliberately flipped the headstock, so you can tell it's fake right away.

PRS locking tuners my butt.
Those look like the Planet Waves Autotrim tuners I run on all of my guitars.

planet-waves-auto-trim-tuners-close.jpg

There are SO many things wrong with that guitar.

The headstock carve is reversed!
The tuner holes are not symmetrical.
The truss rod cover is the wrong shape and has 3 screws.
The tuners are obviously planet wave replacements. (the description states PRS locking tuners)
The headstock signature is wrong (too thick and cluncky - missing elements)
There is some kind of wonky side dot at the 12th fret that shouldn't be there.
Upper and lower bout carves are wrong.
Lower bout carve has no relief on face of guitar.
The body is a wonky wrong roundness.
The body face carve looks wrong.
The "binding" appears to be plastic!
The PUP switch is in the wrong place.
The bridge looks wrong.
The maple is definitely not a "10".
The electronics covers don't fit!

I'm sure there are many more things - that is all from just my first look!

Edit: I just reported the listing as a counterfeit item to ebay noting the main, most glaring feature - the reverse of the headstock carve.

Last edited:
Here is another fake listing ending soon. Description/phots are real but the listing is not. Hijacked gem stone seller account

Supposedly an '88 Standard 24.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130803714169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There was an identical listing created from another account a couple of hours ago that I reported and was taken down, but this one is still up and close to ending.

The image passing as text asking to contact the seller before bidding gives it all.

Report that thing!

The 88 Standard 24 looks legit. The features they had then are different than they are now..........serial number and style screams legit standard 24.

Oh the description on the singlecut fake says the scale is 25 1/2". My Tremonti and Singlecut are only 25".

The 88 Standard 24 looks legit. The features they had then are different than they are now..........serial number and style screams legit standard 24.

Yes, the guitar in the pictures is legit as I mentioned. The listing is fake. Accounts of reputable sellers get hacked all the time and items get posted on their stores. On this one you can easily tell because of the following image they put in all their listings where they urge you to contact them outside ebay before bidding to try to get your money or information outside of eBay.
contactz.jpg

Also the same exact listing popped up in another account hours after along with other high end items. That one was taken down very quickly.

I tried contacting this one up about the fake listing but I am pretty sure the response I got was from the same people in control of their account.
-----------------------------------
Hi,
This is not our item,
plz don't purchase,
we are trying to end the listings
Have a nice day!
-gem-gogo
---------------------

Said they would take it down and never did. I tried to report it but eBay didn't act on this one before it ended. Now somebody will be waiting for their $2k '88 PRS that will never arrive. :dontknow: oh well..

After finding the guitar from the OP during a PRS search on ebay, I thought I would try to contact the company to alert them of the infringement. That's what led to the forum. Doesn't surprise me there was already a thread dedicated to this ridiculous fake. So I registered in order to post the message I sent the seller on ebay:

Hi, just in case you are not aware, this guitar is a fake.

Obvious indicators:

1. The headstock shape is reversed from the shape of the trademarked Paul Reed Smith headstock.

2. The Paul Reed Smith logo appears to be a sticker, and if it is screen printed, it is clearly still far too dimensional to be legitimate.

3. Wrong truss rod cover.

4. The hand written serial number and "10" designation are far too opaque and the ink/ paint used is of an incorrect type.

5. While over the years PRS has gotten more liberal doling out "10 Top" designations, in no way at any time would the top on this guitar meet those standards.

6. The bridge is a very different design than the Paul Reel Smith patented wrap around bridge.

7. The edges of the fingerboard are painted.

8. Placement of many of the bird shaped fingerboard inlays is off, as are some of the inlays themselves in regard to size and shape.

9. The finish lacks the smooth mirror-like reflective quality of a real PRS.

10. The tuners… Really?

For these reasons and more, this is the most easily identifiable fake I have ever seen. As you are probably aware, knowingly advertising and selling counterfeit items is a serious crime. I suggest you remove this item from ebay immediately, and pursue legal action against the person who sold it to you as an authentic Paul Reed Smith.

You have now been made aware of the legal status of this auction, and it is up to you to remedy the situation. I know I am not the first person to point out the fact that this guitar is obviously counterfeit. Serious legal ramifications will result if you actually sell this item as an authentic Paul Reed Smith.

We'll see what happens. It makes no sense for someone to continue an auction like this when they have a good rep on ebay...

I have contacted the seller, eBay and PRS Cust. service, yet the listing in the OP is still up.

I'm starting to wonder why I bothered.....

I thought I would try to contact the company to alert them of the infringement. That's what led to the forum.
Welcome! Based on that message seems like you clearliy belong here :top:

I'm starting to wonder why I bothered.....
^^I think the same. I rarely see an actual fake attempt PRS like the one from the OP, but these fake listings from hacked seller accounts are there every day. I don't know why ebay can't get smarter in flagging these.

And the '88 red PRS strikes again from another account:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRS-Standard-24-Vintage-1988-USA-/251185240684
Report if you are bored.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRS-PAUL-RE...E-/321021116588?pt=Guitar&hash=item4abe5980ac

Fake singlecut.......I posted it on prsforums.com to be reported I will be emailing PRS with the link in a few minutes. Does anyone else know how to get this auction taken off? It has a bid and is a blatant fake. The seller keeps fumbling around with his answers and says he uses a "guitar expert" it validate the guitars he sells but any expert would know its a fake. I think he is trying to pull a big one here.

Can't believe this is still for sale. Ebay clearly don't give a monkeys!

Still up! Unbelievable really, the auction ends in 17 hours and there is actually a bid. For what its worth, I flagged the item too. I do hope there are some serious ramifications for the seller; after all the messages he's received, he can certainly no longer feign ignorance.

Just reported it - again - only a couple hours left and it's still there.

It's stuff like this that really puts my antennas up about e-bay...

Just received this from the seller --

Although we appreciate your input, our local instrument dealer has a different opinion. We respect his expertise. In this very unusual case, we will be extremely careful to allow the buyer adequate time to examine the guitar. If he is not happy with it, it will be returned for a full refund. Thanks again!

Back