Fake? I think so.. whats you opinions?

Any pics of the neck cavity? Doesn't look like an employee guitar to me but maybe it's a refin too. Normally they're marked in some way.

My winged tuners have the screw holes pointing east west not north south as well.

Too funny, I guess I was always so fixated on the older guitars, I never noticed the change. Thanks Sergio!

Too funny, I guess I was always so fixated on the older guitars, I never noticed the change. Thanks Sergio!

Word. Interestingly (only to me :rolleyes: ) enough, there are at least three different types of winged tuner casings. I have a set that doesn't even have screw holes at all and just uses compression and pins to keep 'em in place.

I wish somebody would make knock-off wings... I could get behind those. :oops:

Last edited:
PRS cam back to him

From Matt

Normally there are serial number identification and build codes inside the bridge pickup cavity. On your guitar there are no markings at all. The employee guitars scheme does exist, I personally have my own Employee guitar, but employee guitars always have ‘Employee guitar built for ….’ written on the back of the headstock and are signed by Paul under the lacquer. This would suggest this is not a guitar from the employee guitar scheme.

Private stock guitars always have a Private stock number written on the back of the headstock also written under the lacquer. The serial number of this guitar would suggest it is a private stock guitar but the details missing on the guitar would suggest that it is not. It looks to me like almost all the components on this guitar have been changed (including the wiring looms – the 5 way rotary is installed in the wrong place and cabling is not the same as PRS use). However, it is possible that this guitar has just been heavily modified, re-wired and perhaps re-finished, hence the missing details.

With regards to value, Unfortunately I cannot really comment on 2nd hand value because that is purely subjective and is really down to the buyer and seller in each case. Also, with the missing details its original price and specifications cannot be fully authenticated

Without wishing to appear overly judgmental towards the seller. I would quickly abandon the idea of buying any guitar where the advertisement includes "Up for sale is my PRS made in 2004 by a guy there in his spare time." in the description regardless of what the photographs may or may not suggest.

Back