Fading Charcoal or Grays???

1994 Gray Black Custom22 that I have owned for 20 years.

Wow! Unusual top, love the face below the bridge.

22OhsyD.jpg

Holy fracking quilt V-Man!

Days of old...

WyDwiAN.jpg

....when knights were bold?;)

Can that flame get any tighter? That thing is crazy!
Indeed! And the reverse-chevron angle still looks good, but makes it unique. And it's relatively light in weight for a thick-bodied SC 594.

I must admit, though... I might be making this one "available" soon. :(

I'm especially interested since I really wanted my new frostbite char. dragons breath Dragon to "Hang Out" but don't want fade.
In the case of frost bite there's another concern other than fading: maple will become darker/yellower when exposed to daylight. With frost bite going all the way to a very light gray stain and even completely natural color, those lighter colored areas could change quite a bit.

See this how this 2018 Private Stock HB 594 fared after two years in a store.
Some of the differences are due to white balance differences though, but even if you adjust for white balance the stain has clearly faded a bit in the updated pics:
2018:
2018-PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-Hollowbody-McCarty-594.jpg

Updated 2020 pics:
20200515-dsc00005.jpg

In the case of frost bite there's another concern other than fading: maple will become darker/yellower when exposed to daylight. With frost bite going all the way to a very light gray stain and even completely natural color, those lighter colored areas could change quite a bit.

See this how this 2018 Private Stock HB 594 fared after two years in a store.
Some of the differences are due to white balance differences though, but even if you adjust for white balance the stain has clearly faded a bit in the updated pics:
2018:
2018-PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-Hollowbody-McCarty-594.jpg

Updated 2020 pics:
20200515-dsc00005.jpg
This is true, and I believe the yellowing is typical side effect of nitro finish. I’d be curious if a frostbite PS was done in poly if the same thing happens. Most PS are nitro, hard to find them with a complete urethane finish. Seems the lighter and whiter the stain, the more noticeable it is.

WOW!
That is one seriously demonic looking guitar.
Especially that guy behind the bridge.
That dude told me last night to change out the silica gel in the case. Last warning, he said..

Back