Faded whale blue turned greyish-green?

Randwulf83

Hi - I came across a lefty Wood Library Custom 24 in faded whale blue online, somewhat of a rarity for us southpaws that I've nevertheless been keeping watch for for quite some time. Problem is, the color looks almost greyish-green, which the dealer says happens when that color is exposed to sunlight long enough. I know nothing compares to seeing the guitar in person, but he insists the pics are accurate. I don't know. Thoughts? Here's a link to it to see for yourselves: https://reverb.com/item/50054826-custom-24-w-ebony-wood-library-limited-left-hand

Yes that’s a fair representation of what blue will/can do when exposed to sun light. Doesn’t have to be prolonged in some cases.

Daves are a well thought of dealer on here. So no worries about them being unfair/un-reliable.

A really nice guitar and some here would say that’s an improvement, not mentioning any names (cough cough @sergiodeblanc).

Yes that’s a fair representation of what blue will/can do when exposed to sun light. Doesn’t have to be prolonged in some cases.

Daves are a well thought of dealer on here. So no worries about them being unfair/un-reliable.

A really nice guitar and some here would say that’s an improvement, not mentioning any names (cough cough @sergiodeblanc).
I've bought from Dave's before and totally trust them. Can you explain why some might see it as an improvement?

I think it is @Collywobbles who has/had a blue PRS that bleached almost to natural.
This is Royal Blue - or what happens to it if you leave it in the sun... It's a very early 1985 Custom (circa serial 0060). The guitar was on a wall display at the old Rumble Seat Music store, so as a guess was exposed to a lot of UV over a number of years. The linked Whale Blue guitar looks exactly like a faded Whale Blue guitar to me.

IMG4249.jpeg

1+ to what all others said.....I'm the owner of a Faded "Blue Fade" cu24.....It was faded pretty bad by UV from fluorescent lighting and a few outdoor gigs...where i didn't case the guitar. I love the way the faded "blue fade" has come to look!

I think that guitar looks spectacular!

Below is a pic of my faded blue fade up close....lighting really changes it quite a bit....and a second pic with my PS Blue fade SC250. And a Third from dealer stock photos of my CU24 when it was new.

Last edited:
Very unique. I like it! I do think the actual color will be a little lighter in reality based on the color of the back neck and body

The blue dye PRS uses is very fade prone, which is what has kept me from acquiring a purple one so far.
Organic dyes are the only ones that are transparent in wood stains. Unfortunately, all organic dyes are photosensitive to one degree or another. If they used inorganic stains, you wouldn't be able to see the wood.

The problem with organic blues and purples is that they're very photosensitive, and unlike amber shades, they kind of clash with the underlying wood when they fade.

HOWEVER

There is a cure: keep them cased when not in use.

I have a lovely Northern Lights PS in shades of blue and purple from early 2016. It hasn't faded one bit, because if I'm not playing the thing, it's cased. Not that I'd be bent out of shape if it faded. But it's nice that it hasn't.

Organic dyes are the only ones that are transparent in wood stains. Unfortunately, all organic dyes are photosensitive…..
HOWEVER

There is a cure: keep them cased when not in use.

I have a lovely Northern Lights PS in shades of blue and purple from early 2016. It hasn't faded one bit, because if I'm not playing the thing, it's cased. Not that I'd be bent out of shape if it faded. But it's nice that it hasn't.
This!!

My SC250 is a 2010 and my CU24 is a 2015. 2010 hasn’t faded a bit because it’s either in its case or in LED lighting mostly. The 2015 is faded more cuz I can’t keep in the case. I…must….play…

Back