EZ Drummer 2

d4rkst4r

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Been using MusicMaker to record, edit, etc (tried ProTools, no bueno). This is just for my local amusement....Anyway, MM application works just fine, but the drum editing can be tedious and time consuming. Then I saw EZ Drummer 2, watched some videos, read reviews and it seems just that, E-Z, but too EZ to be true. So, I'm appealing to you fine forum participants to see if you've any knowledge/experience with it, and what you think. Is it really that easy using a GUI to create, drag, and drop? Is it creating a midi file that has to be imported into the project, and if so, is it black and white or does it require some path building and manipulation. Any thoughts here would be appreciated before I drop coin I may end up regretting.

I've just started using EZ Drummer 2 about a week ago so I don't have much experience with it. There's such a insane amount of grooves and fills to choose from and I've just been using those for now. I just drag and drop the ones I want to use in my songs to my drum track. I definitely like it a lot so far and want to dive deeper in it and start creating my own drum grooves. I know I probably can't help you decide on getting it or not but these are my first impressions so far. Hopefully someone else has more experience than me.

Been using MusicMaker to record, edit, etc (tried ProTools, no bueno). This is just for my local amusement....Anyway, MM application works just fine, but the drum editing can be tedious and time consuming. Then I saw EZ Drummer 2, watched some videos, read reviews and it seems just that, E-Z, but too EZ to be true. So, I'm appealing to you fine forum participants to see if you've any knowledge/experience with it, and what you think. Is it really that easy using a GUI to create, drag, and drop? Is it creating a midi file that has to be imported into the project, and if so, is it black and white or does it require some path building and manipulation. Any thoughts here would be appreciated before I drop coin I may end up regretting.

It's pretty much that easy. It can be as simple as assembling the parts in EZD2 and letting them play from there, or dragging those parts into your DAW. You can edit the bits in the DAW, you can leave blank spaces to tap in your own parts. I can't recommend this enough, especially for someone getting started with recording and MIDI drums.

I've used it in various ways - assembling the parts and playing an EZD2 drum kit, assembling the parts and using other drums, using drums from EZD2 and another source, to full-on playing the parts and recording my MIDI.

One of the HUGE time savers is called something like Tap To Search (I'm not on that computer now, but I can check it later). If you have a pattern in your head, you can tap it into the search function and EZD2 will search through all the grooves it has and find matching patterns and rank them in terms of how closely they match what you tapped.

Pretty much what I do any time I'm recording now is find a pattern that has the right feel and just loop it - sometimes I'll assemble something that more closely resembles the song arrangement - and use that to track at least the basic bass and rhythm parts. Then I'll refine the drums later, whether that's full-on programming on my part, or just tweaking fills and such, and getting the right drum sounds.

Toontrack offers tons of specials through the year, but right now at Sweetwater (and maybe elsewhere), you can get EZD2 and a free expansion kit - more sounds, more grooves. And they run deals a lot through the year on the expansion kits.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions or want examples. Hell, we can even FaceTime or Zoom if you want to (but today might be rough).

Thank you all, your feedback is valued and appreciated. This answers plenty enough where I'm comfortable in giving it a shot!

It's pretty much that easy. It can be as simple as assembling the parts in EZD2 and letting them play from there, or dragging those parts into your DAW. You can edit the bits in the DAW, you can leave blank spaces to tap in your own parts. I can't recommend this enough, especially for someone getting started with recording and MIDI drums.

I've used it in various ways - assembling the parts and playing an EZD2 drum kit, assembling the parts and using other drums, using drums from EZD2 and another source, to full-on playing the parts and recording my MIDI.

One of the HUGE time savers is called something like Tap To Search (I'm not on that computer now, but I can check it later). If you have a pattern in your head, you can tap it into the search function and EZD2 will search through all the grooves it has and find matching patterns and rank them in terms of how closely they match what you tapped.

Pretty much what I do any time I'm recording now is find a pattern that has the right feel and just loop it - sometimes I'll assemble something that more closely resembles the song arrangement - and use that to track at least the basic bass and rhythm parts. Then I'll refine the drums later, whether that's full-on programming on my part, or just tweaking fills and such, and getting the right drum sounds.

Toontrack offers tons of specials through the year, but right now at Sweetwater (and maybe elsewhere), you can get EZD2 and a free expansion kit - more sounds, more grooves. And they run deals a lot through the year on the expansion kits.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions or want examples. Hell, we can even FaceTime or Zoom if you want to (but today might be rough).
As a new EZ Drummer user myself, I'd like to thank you for all that helpful info you posted. I never noticed the Tap 2 Find feature. Man, that's going to help me a lot. Cheers !!!

Grabbed it...now if I can shake all these honey-do's, I can get down in it. Thanks again.
Alright !!! Have fun !!!

Grabbed it...now if I can shake all these honey-do's, I can get down in it. Thanks again.

Very cool! Don’t be afraid to ask for help, but honestly, it is pretty easy to use. There’s some complexity if you dig, but even then it’s fairly straightforward.

I don’t think you guys should talk. You’re gonna figure out you’re actually long separated twins. I’ve known Darkie for more than 30 years, and have interacted enough with Alan in the last 5 years to know you’re the same guy!

Very cool! Don’t be afraid to ask for help, but honestly, it is pretty easy to use. There’s some complexity if you dig, but even then it’s fairly straightforward.
I may hit you up on this soon. I thought I was ready to start recording a couple years ago, but for some reason, my “fastest” computer is an absolute dog so I gave up. I’m going to buy another one soon and an interface and drum program. A lot of people say start with Superior or something because you’ll be upgrading later anyway. I don’t know if I will because my immediate needs are simple so I want something that’s easy to learn and use. Sounds like this is the way to go.

I don’t think you guys should talk. You’re gonna figure out you’re actually long separated twins. I’ve known Darkie for more than 30 years, and have interacted enough with Alan in the last 5 years to know you’re the same guy!

Oh, I love plot twists!

A lot of people say start with Superior or something because you’ll be upgrading later anyway. I don’t know if I will because my immediate needs are simple so I want something that’s easy to learn and use. Sounds like this is the way to go.

I think that depends on how much you intend to tinker with the drums. I’ve thought about the upgrade several times but never pulled the trigger. Between EZD, Steven Slate Drums, a couple Abbey Road drum packages, and maybe one other, I’ve been able to find what I need. I’ve only recently gone in and played with the mix much, and I don’t think I’ve ever played with things like mic placement. I’m sure someday I’ll make the move, but so far I haven’t found a compelling enough reason.

And when you’re ready, ask away. You know which gutter my mind is in!

Secret's out...that's what mom must've meant by a lost twin.

I have used EZDrummer for years. Sometimes I record my own MIDI via my Roland V-Drums, and use EZDrummer to add fills or change the playing style. I'll also use EZD2 for different sounds, as well. It's really simple once you dive in and get comfortable with the simple concept of drag/drop MIDI sequences.

Here's a song I did over the past few days using ALL EZ products - EZKeys, EZBass, and EZDrummer. Sometimes it's just very easy to put things together this way. I've never done it 100% Toontrack before, and I am very pleased with the result. Check it out!!

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/one-year-later-my-journey

@d4rkst4r I found this EZ Drummer tutorial video playlist on Youtube and I really liked what I watched so far - I haven't gone through all the videos yet. I thought you might want to have a look too.

I seem to remember running across this when I started my hunting and gathering phase for this, but at the time, it wasn't relevant 'cuz I had no clue without being able to follow along. Thanks BV, I'll definitely do a little side-by-side with this as I play in the sandbox.

I have used EZDrummer for years. Sometimes I record my own MIDI via my Roland V-Drums, and use EZDrummer to add fills or change the playing style. I'll also use EZD2 for different sounds, as well. It's really simple once you dive in and get comfortable with the simple concept of drag/drop MIDI sequences.

Here's a song I did over the past few days using ALL EZ products - EZKeys, EZBass, and EZDrummer. Sometimes it's just very easy to put things together this way. I've never done it 100% Toontrack before, and I am very pleased with the result. Check it out!!

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/one-year-later-my-journey

You should be pleased, it's a nice listen!

Back