Extracting some clean tones out of my CU24... they're beautiful!

Sounding very nice there Rachmaninoff. Like the tone and the playing. Thanks for sharing.

You got some great clean tones out of that! And with HFS/VB, no less. I'm going to have to try those Dunlops. .07s, huh? Did you have to do anything special on the truss rod/setup/action?

And I love your tasty, melodic playing.

(I'm a clean tone junkie.)

I'm going to have to try those Dunlops. .07s, huh? Did you have to do anything special on the truss rod/setup/action?

With such light gauge, yes, you have to re-setup your guitar almost entirely. Depending on the gauge you're currently using you may have an instant backbowed neck, and need to loose the truss rod, then redo the saddle intonation. But it's nothing beyond that, I did it all myself at home.

These Billy Gibbons' signature .007 strings are the lightest on the market. The thing with the tone of these is that they have some snappy Hendrix-esque high-end character, that pops out of the amp... which I like quite a lot. Also, being very light, bends become effortless. You can play for hours without hand fatigue, or fear of tendinitis. They're very addictive! ;)

See the man himself talking about them here, skip to 4:12.

Really enjoyed this. I've always been a sucker for that 50's style I-VI-II-V chord progression. I also appreciate the subtle tremolo work. Heh, I may have to try a PRS-made tremolo system. I have a 2006 fender strat, with all the bells and whistles, and it still goes out of tune the minute you breathe on the trem bar.

With such light gauge, yes, you have to re-setup your guitar almost entirely. Depending on the gauge you're currently using you may have an instant backbowed neck, and need to loose the truss rod, then redo the saddle intonation. But it's nothing beyond that, I did it all myself at home.

These Billy Gibbons' signature .007 strings are the lightest on the market. The thing with the tone of these is that they have some snappy Hendrix-esque high-end character, that pops out of the amp... which I like quite a lot. Also, being very light, bends become effortless. You can play for hours without hand fatigue, or fear of tendinitis. They're very addictive! ;)

See the man himself talking about them here, skip to 4:12.

I use 8-8.5's myself, but have been extolling the tonal virtues of light gauge strings for a long time to anyone who'll listen.

I use 8-8.5's myself, but have been extolling the tonal virtues of light gauge strings for a long time to anyone who'll listen.

I just ordered a couple of sets of Billy Gibbons' strings. A set of 7's and a set of 8's. Interested to see how they sound/feel. My fingers have come really sensitive recently. I'm hoping these are a little less abusive the pan 10's and 11's.

Back