Experience w/ Custom 22 artist or McCarty dc245?

dabedat

Hey all -- I'm new to the forum but expect to be a contributing member starting... Friday, the day I'm selling an '82 SG and a hotrod tele for my first PRS.
The two that I've narrowed it down to are a 20th anniversary Custom 22 Artist and a 2009 McCarty DC245. Both are similarly priced (a bit more for the 245). I'm comfortable with both necks, but will not play either amplified before pulling the trigger. THoughts on the Dragon II v. the 57/08? That pickup make it a much better choice?
I know the differences on paper (necks, bridges, pickups) but NOT how those will translate to pleasure in playing. I'm sure both will be well worth investment in musical joy, but would love to hear players of either (or BOTH???) with some wisdom that will help me make the best decision.

Thanks in advance, PRS community. I appreciate the feedback!

I have had 3 PRS guitars and all three have been custom 22s. They are, in my mind, the perfect guitar. Pups are so subjective that it really will be difficult to tell what direction you want to go with out the aforementioned amplified sound test. The current 22 I have has dragon II pups in it. The second guitar with those in it that I have had. My other one had dragon I's in it. And, for me, they were a little hot and I found myself having to roll off the volume to get that really nice clean tone that I like. For me, a good clean tone translates into a creamier dirty tone (if that makes any since). So, though the dragon 1's were really nice pickups, I prefer the 2's. I have not yet played 57/08's yet so I can't speak on them. But I HAVE tried an a$$ load of different pickups over a lifetime. All of which had people who either loved or hated them. Often though, I just liked what I liked, and didn't like what I didn't like regardless of what other people said about them.

Whatever direction you go....just remember.....It didn't happen without pix!!!!! :D

I have a 2006 CU22 Artist that I am in love with. I will never part with it.
It just feels like an old pair of comfortable Jeans . It plays so easy and sounds great. I don't have any experience with the McCarty so I cant comment on that. But if I had the choice I would go with what feels good to me. And that's this Artist 22.

That is hugely helpful, River Rat and Danktat! Awesome feedback! I like the neck and the color of the Custom 22 Artist better, but am in a bind b/c the McCarty has the 57/08s and I've heard nothing but raves about those. I've read that many really do like the Dragon II's, but people seem to gush over the 57/08's. Are they as good as all that? Didn't Paul claim that you were buying the pickups
with a guitar and case thrown in? That's pretty intriguing!

I have had 3 PRS guitars and all three have been custom 22s. They are, in my mind, the perfect guitar. Pups are so subjective that it really will be difficult to tell what direction you want to go with out the aforementioned amplified sound test. The current 22 I have has dragon II pups in it. The second guitar with those in it that I have had. My other one had dragon I's in it. And, for me, they were a little hot and I found myself having to roll off the volume to get that really nice clean tone that I like. For me, a good clean tone translates into a creamier dirty tone (if that makes any since). So, though the dragon 1's were really nice pickups, I prefer the 2's. I have not yet played 57/08's yet so I can't speak on them. But I HAVE tried an a$$ load of different pickups over a lifetime. All of which had people who either loved or hated them. Often though, I just liked what I liked, and didn't like what I didn't like regardless of what other people said about them.

Whatever direction you go....just remember.....It didn't happen without pix!!!!! :D

Great post!!! My feelings exactly! I think you are going to LOVE 57/08s when you try them.
One of my favorite pups ever. No weaknesses anywhere. They do it all!

The 57/08 pickups are one of my favorite PRS pickups and arguably highly sought after. I'm also a fan of the McCarty model guitars as well as the short scale models such as a 245 (24&1/2") So now you know which I would choose.

Haven't tried the 57/08.

I guess I'm gonna have to find a set and put them in my artist 22 to feel the magic within.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if anyone around here has a set they would let go to a fellow PRS fanatic...... :D

Last edited:
My thinking:

You don’t hear a color, you hear a guitar. The CU22 is great (have had several), so is the McCarty (have had several). 57/08 pickups are amazing, a perfect all-around pickup that does lots of things well.

You can always buy different pickups.

Pick your poison.

My thinking:

You don’t hear a color, you hear a guitar.

Pick your poison.

I have a different thinking on this point. For me, the LOOK of a guitar is almost as important as the sound. Why you might ask? Well, I am more apt to PLAY a nicer guitar better than one that I don't particularly like the look of. It may not make a lot of since to some, but a sexy LOOKING guitar seems to play better than the one I don't consider very good looking if all other things are equal. If I can look at it and go "WOW"!!! than I am more likely to pick it up and play it. I just feel happier playing a guitar that I think looks great so it translates into my playing. I know, there is a certain amount of vanity in that. I am not of fan of guitars that have been reliced ON PURPOSE :/ I mean, to deliberately take a decent finish and destroy it never made since to me.

But I digress.........I would be buying the one I liked the look of the best if the only difference was the pickups. Because, as you said, a pup swap is a pretty common occurrence anyway. Almost like an exhaust swap on a Harley.

We will still be needing pix of the final purchase though ;)

Is the Custom 22 a stoptail?

I’d probably lean towards the Ted, the shorter scale length and 57/08’s.... but If there’s a trem on the CU22 and that’s important to you....

Whatever, eventually you’ll want to buy both. Flip a coin.

You don't hear a color. Outstanding. Agreed all around. Do the 57/08's make the McCarty WAY more desirable because of the pickups, or do you find the Dragon II's good enough to be in the same ballpark? I'll only have about 5-10 minutes with both guitars and your insight into this part of the equation will go a long way. If you don't get back to this, no worries, as I'm meeting him tomorrow to make the choice. I'll close my eyes and see what feels right. Thanks to you and the other members of the forum for helping a brother out. I'll send word when the dust settles and one guitar is left standing!

My thinking:

You don’t hear a color, you hear a guitar. The CU22 is great (have had several), so is the McCarty (have had several). 57/08 pickups are amazing, a perfect all-around pickup that does lots of things well.

You can always buy different pickups.

Pick your poison.

I have a different thinking on this point. For me, the LOOK of a guitar is almost as important as the sound. Why you might ask? Well, I am more apt to PLAY a nicer guitar better than one that I don't particularly like the look of. It may not make a lot of since to some, but a sexy LOOKING guitar seems to play better than the one I don't consider very good looking if all other things are equal. If I can look at it and go "WOW"!!! than I am more likely to pick it up and play it. I just feel happier playing a guitar that I think looks great so it translates into my playing. I know, there is a certain amount of vanity in that. I am not of fan of guitars that have been reliced ON PURPOSE :/ I mean, to deliberately take a decent finish and destroy it never made since to me.

But I digress.........I would be buying the one I liked the look of the best if the only difference was the pickups. Because, as you said, a pup swap is a pretty common occurrence anyway. Almost like an exhaust swap on a Harley.

We will still be needing pix of the final purchase though ;)

The good news is, they both look effing amazing. Either would be the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned a few real beauties. That 10 top maple is just gorgeous. (But for the record, the CU22 Artist is a tad warmer looking, more inviting. The 245 will need to feel better -- wide/fat neck and all -- or sound way better to pull me to it.

And I'll send pictures as soon as I have it and I've logged the required 3 posts to add a link (otherwise, I'd send the pics now! If you want to check them out and have a little time to kill, go to Chrisguitars.com/prs.html I believe they are numbers 10 and 11 on that page. It's a great online dealer who happens to be close so I'll go to his garage/shop to check them out tomorrow.

Thanks again. You all have been awesome. I hope I can pay forward some of the beta you've passed on to me!

A little help.......

The McCarty
prs09tedmccarty-dc245-10-birds-mccarburst.jpg

The CU22
prs05cu22artist-amb-20th.jpg

As much as I am a 22 fan, I really like that McCarty. The finish seems to show a little more of the wood (I am a sucker for natural finishes and that burst give the best of a stain and a natural feel). I am a stopbar tailpiece fan much more so than the trem (that I blocked on the 22 that I had with one). AND --- and here is something to think about ---- the 22 has the rotary switching system in this case. The McCarty wiring is a more familiar [to most people] three way toggle. Not sure if the tone knob on that one will push/pull for coil tapping but if so that is a plus too. Some LOVE the rotary switch....But, I have always found it difficult to figure out where I am because there isn't a visual reference to know what position it is in. It offers a little difference in tonal variation than the three way toggle, but what you need will depend on what and how you play.

My ideal scenario would be the finish and switching system on the McCarty, but on the 22...go figure.
So, Long Story Short.....BUY EM BOTH!!!!! lol

Is the Custom 22 a stoptail?

I’d probably lean towards the Ted, the shorter scale length and 57/08’s.... but If there’s a trem on the CU22 and that’s important to you....

Whatever, eventually you’ll want to buy both. Flip a coin.

Thanks. The CU22 is a trem, which is not a plus for me. I like it on my strat but prefer the hardtail on all of my other guitars. The 57/08's and the hardtail are the plus for the DC245. The neck on the CU22 is its plus, along with the aesthetics. It's a dilemma, as both is just not an option right now. It may just come down to a coin!

Wow, Danktat. You have just gone above and beyond any help to a stranger. Outstanding, my friend! Cheers and thank you! (Of course I'm no closer to knowing, but I do have new info, which should help when I get them both in hand...)

A little help.......

The McCarty
prs09tedmccarty-dc245-10-birds-mccarburst.jpg

The CU22
prs05cu22artist-amb-20th.jpg

As much as I am a 22 fan, I really like that McCarty. The finish seems to show a little more of the wood (I am a sucker for natural finishes and that burst give the best of a stain and a natural feel). I am a stopbar tailpiece fan much more so than the trem (that I blocked on the 22 that I had with one). AND --- and here is something to think about ---- the 22 has the rotary switching system in this case. The McCarty wiring is a more familiar [to most people] three way toggle. Not sure if the tone knob on that one will push/pull for coil tapping but if so that is a plus too. Some LOVE the rotary switch....But, I have always found it difficult to figure out where I am because there isn't a visual reference to know what position it is in. It offers a little difference in tonal variation than the three way toggle, but what you need will depend on what and how you play.

My ideal scenario would be the finish and switching system on the McCarty, but on the 22...go figure.
So, Long Story Short.....BUY EM BOTH!!!!! lol

My suspicion is that you will just "know" which one is "yours" as soon as you lay hands on it because she will tell you. She will choose you. You won't choose her.

You bastages!!!!

You got me gassing for a set of 57/08 pups.

I hate you all!

p.s. just ordered a set.

But they will go in my 1989 CE24 (avatar guit) to get rid of the duncuns someone put in it.

Back