Experience 2021

Spending time w/Boscoe - even on video - is just good for your soul. I've never encountered him where I didn't come away feeling better.

He follows me on Instagram and has liked a couple of my posts. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty good about myself after that. :D

Yeah, he's just a cool dude and has such a cool vibe and soul as a player. He cracked me up last night with the remark about someone impersonating him. :p

He follows me on Instagram and has liked a couple of my posts. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty good about myself after that. :D

Yeah, he's just a cool dude and has such a cool vibe and soul as a player. He cracked me up last night with the remark about someone impersonating him. :p

Same on IG for me. He's one of those guys with such a good attitude and a willingness to share that you can't help but come away smiling.

I had not seen the inside of an HX until I watched the video. More of the design is PCB-based than the old HX/DX, but the components that are more prone to failure are still chassis mounted. The construction methods are closer to that a seventies metalface Marshall than a modern Marshall, but it does appear that the entire preamp and through the phase inverter is board mounted. Small signal tubes are far less likely to take the board with them during a failure than a power tube. A power tube short often results in significant burning of the PCB if board mounted. That makes a repair out on the road more of a pain in the backside because it requires a spare power tube PCB whereas a chassis-mounted power tube socket only requires the socket to be replaced if it is carbonized during the failure. There are advantages to PCB-mounting the preamp circuitry in that it only takes getting the signal path routing correct during the debugging stage, which differs from fully handwired amps that often require one to deal with lead dress problems during amp production. We are dealing with DC voltages around 300VDC in a tube preamp, so capacitive coupling between flying leads often becomes a problem leading to unwanted oscillation and other noise.

I had not seen the inside of an HX until I watched the video. More of the design is PCB-based than the old HX/DX, but the components that are more prone to failure are still chassis mounted. The construction methods are closer to that a seventies metalface Marshall than a modern Marshall, but it does appear that the entire preamp and through the phase inverter is board mounted. Small signal tubes are far less likely to take the board with them during a failure than a power tube. A power tube short often results in significant burning of the PCB if board mounted. That makes a repair out on the road more of a pain in the backside because it requires a spare power tube PCB whereas a chassis-mounted power tube socket only requires the socket to be replaced if it is carbonized during the failure. There are advantages to PCB-mounting the preamp circuitry in that it only takes getting the signal path routing correct during the debugging stage, which differs from fully handwired amps that often require one to deal with lead dress problems during amp production. We are dealing with DC voltages around 300VDC in a tube preamp, so capacitive coupling between flying leads often becomes a problem leading to unwanted oscillation and other noise.
Yes, I was a little surprised when I saw the size of that board. It looks like everything is on that bad boy!

I love the way the HX/DA is done inside, and is as cleanly wired as you could ask… a amp tech’s dream. You can see everything. It just looks like a clinic in amp building! Doug knows his stuff, so I’ll leave this with the pros. I’ll keep my HX/DA, though!

The live chat makes Scott, Alnus and I look really mature! thanks

Thanks, @ScottR and I are able to keep it mature, but however that’s kept strictly for Facebook messenger.

We don’t wish to disappoint @DreamTheaterRules and @alantig. And besides mods have never told me off for my “mature” comments ;) Yet!!

Thanks, @ScottR and I are able to keep it mature, but however that’s kept strictly for Facebook messenger.

We don’t wish to disappoint @DreamTheaterRules and @alantig. And besides mods have never told me off for my “mature” comments ;) Yet!!

And by “mature” he means old. Scott/Alnus, don’t get all hoitee-toitee now.

Sorry Kerry I didn’t mean to miss you out, must be my age!;)

And we prefer to think of it as refined:p

Back