Exp 13 custom 50 2 channel amp rectifier?...

Shultzie

I think it's really just a CAD custom 50 vs. anything different about 'exp 13'

Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, does anybody know the type of rectifier is in a custom 50 two channel?

I.E. Tube vs. Solid State.

Thanks!

Shultzie

I believe the only amp running a tube rectifier is the new DG...all the others are solid state. DG and Doug discussed this during David's amp clinic.

Thanks! I thought they made a pretty strong point on the tube rec in the DGT on the web-site.

Figured it was with good reason.

So, this Custom 50 I'm looking at is solid state.

...but it's Blue!, (w/matching CAB) that's gotta count for somethin'

Thanks again,

Shultzie

Sorry, I knew that much - I 'stated' Solid-State poorly.

But thanks again for answering my question...

Shultzie

My experience with both tube and solid state rectifiers in high end amps over the last 20 years has been that it's often difficult to tell them apart sonically. When there is a sonic difference, it's often said that the tube rectified models tend to be a little spongier, and the solid state rectified models tend to have a bit faster attack, and in some cases, a bit firmer bottom. But these are really generalizations that may or may not apply (though I found them applicable in amps where the choice was purposely available, as in the case of certain Two-Rocks or the switchable rectifiers in some Mesa amps).

But as I said, all of these descriptions vary from design to design. Most people think of the response of a Blonde or Blackface Fender Twin Reverb from 1960 on as a good example of a solid state rectified amp. But Marshall Plexis and JMPs were also solid state rectified, as were Hi-Watts, Mesa Marks, SLOs, etc. And they all "feel" different from one another when played.

Then too, a good AC30 is tube rectified but also has a great front end pick attack. So it's hard to hear an amp and guess whether it's tube or SS rectified. Every design is different.

Back