Exotic top SEs in Europe

Ooglybong... the European SE guitars aren't sent to the US for a setup. I know that for the UK at least, they are sent from WMI in Korea straight to the PRS European headquarters (distribution centre) in the UK for inspection and setup. There are a couple of videos about it on YouTube.

I a bit confused. How does rosewood on a guitar that's built for a USA company earn restrictions when shipping back into the USA? Don't all the SEs get set up here in the first place? Wouldn't those restrictions have already somehow been satisfied along the way?
With the addition of all Rosewood species to the CITES appendix II in late 2016 there must be paperwork to accompany the shipment of the raw wood and finished product. Unfortunately I suspect the dealers don't get the appropriate paperwork from their local distributors, who probably just keep and file the paperwork they get in the shipment from the factory.

So to ship something overseas is now going to be a royal pain until/unless someone makes a ruling on finished goods like whole guitars that allows their sale/transfer without paperwork.

This is what it takes to buy a guitar from GB that has any rosewood on it according to Coda Music::::::::::(the prices are incorrect as he thought I was looking at a different model
As much as I wanted this guitar; it was way too many hoops to jump through.

We can ship to the USA. The guitar is £489, but this includes our VAT at 20%, so you would actually pay £407.50. Shipping is £100, so total for guitar and shipping is £507.50.

Due to new CITES regulations that came into force on 2nd January 2017 we have to apply for a re-export certificate for the guitar due to the Rosewood on the fingerboard. This takes around 2 weeks and cost £59 (payable by yourself). So the total you would pay us is £566.50 GBP. I can apply for the cert, once received we get a copy to you and you apply for an import certificate ($70 USD I believe), you can find details of the American departments here https://cites.org/eng/cms/index.php/component/cp/country/US and also [email protected].

You can email aphis on the email address above to get the necessary forms for you to apply for the import certificate.

Let me know if you wish to continue, but I would strongly recommend you contact both the US departments on the links above before making that decision, and also be aware that from start to finish it will take approx. 8 weeks from the date you order.

Last edited:
These CITES regulations can be a pain in the you-know-where.

That said, just received my first PRS, an SE 245 with the ebony finish. Very nice looking, indeed!

N.F.

Those flamed spalted maple SEs are giving me some spalted maple

It is a question if the visual treatment is worth the price difference, since these are supposed to sound exactly like the standard version.

When the standard version is seven hundred, adding one hundred more is a bit questionable.
Unfortunately, I had only photos to help me decide. I haven't seen yet another SE 245 (these must be quite rare here in Greece)

N.F.

Back