Exotic top SEs in Europe

Unfortunately, you tempting ebony will sound... like maple!
Only the thin veneer top is exotic. The wood underneath is traditional maple over mahogany so you're buying the exotic look, not the sound.
I would have liked to have heard the unique wood top combinations too but then again, they're SE's with an appropriate SE price so what can you expect?

My Custom 22 Zebrawood Semi arrived a couple of days ago...

Very nice looking guitar with very high quality build. Yes it's only a veneer, but so what, think of it as a finish option instead of a tone experiment. It makes a change from flame/quilted maple but with the same sound characteristics. The binding on both the body and neck adds just a little more visual quality which can sometimes be missing from the relatively flat SE tops.

I've already swapped out the speed knobs ( the originals were just a little bit too red ). I may put some nickel pickup covers on it.

I'll take some better photos in natural light soon.

TPHLe8Hzr50Y1EQh4t-O4FNq5x1e8pZcIPHVZx3KaWs8OnxxDsKHsRYKN8HgkbRgBmw22Mf7NM1MB5If9KjPOrq0uI6Um-uHNQzX4j4Bm5tI4OCRkin9f41Vd1lS5B7_f-Rxki77rr3K-IA82qfKZh6KMFdC_F8SrwGtl1e6ggqa9MMw0MD1vrXZrmz8z3MU0cPkk7R9jRmOHxLQXC7CJf8ZTHPSYhVIUYsgakAzBNX7vEUj2a-yBwES8Nzl-F-jkshiEvxr0gLsQD091LtJpPriiIJ2gSdtmbwMnlxcnwaBuV2yQCCvFj5tGfOrGg6EqDQyI1buGNYFMuH3rdEtWmk4La98N4V6R2pgCzYeEs1MNvCDoz_VDL2lEK5n15ZB9WtM4NakOIIA_-H42BRlrjrIEXNikMYvxizCHp6oDVtiZgfrwV5CX2eEJ1k5PhxtWetznj8itBRcLHRU6RzEPISAYtdkKDgDnQwEt5nOY1iUFx2ZFGqTbMfBLaHWW2e92YHzPT6NcPKajD31H9ffKC-vNdE0XHpjkubH-nJjGFGr6Ww8RQ4bp84cfklG48mENjERIgKJvzBp2CWn3y3A8LYsLjH_5ZwNmtymoxSM0OBLVhBWisFb51Q18OdXVhHyorlPzDaW4ItmbGUxA5wfXacjfNVKI135mRQ1tBGlpA=w582-h774-no

Cool! Nice and stripey!

And this isn't a knock, but since PRSi often get called "furniture guitars":

It has that 1950s "futuristic" coffee table look to it.

Unfortunately, you tempting ebony will sound... like maple!
Only the thin veneer top is exotic. The wood underneath is traditional maple over mahogany so you're buying the exotic look, not the sound.
I would have liked to have heard the unique wood top combinations too but then again, they're SE's with an appropriate SE price so what can you expect?

I'm okay with that :)

Seandesigner::::Where did you buy that? I was gassing for the SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow in the Ebony finish and must have reached out to 5 or 6 different PRS dealers in the UK, all of which claimed world wide deliveries. Trouble was when I got to the check out everyone said they couldn't ship outside of the EEC due to the rosewood fretboard and the regulations limiting the distribution of rosewood. Nice looking guitar, BTW.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/CM2SH...edition?_ga=1.217119894.1093185256.1490749570

Scootersite... I'm in the UK so didn't have the worries you're having, however the bigger issue is finding somewhere with them in stock. Most retailers have them preorder at the moment and aren't sure when they'll be arriving. A few stores have one or 2 of some of the models from the initial release a couple of weeks ago. I was lucky to get mine from www.gak.co.uk. I had originally ordered from Andertons, but they kept pushing back the date they'd be getting stock. Good luck.

Seandesigner::::::::::::::::I didn't realize you were in the UK.........that explains no export worries for you. I did find the Ebony top that I wanted in stock at two dealers, one was Gear4music and I'm not positive but I think the second store that did have it in stock might have been GAK. Your top almost blends into the table you have it setting on.

Seandesigner::::Where did you buy that? I was gassing for the SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow in the Ebony finish and must have reached out to 5 or 6 different PRS dealers in the UK, all of which claimed world wide deliveries. Trouble was when I got to the check out everyone said they couldn't ship outside of the EEC due to the rosewood fretboard and the regulations limiting the distribution of rosewood. Nice looking guitar, BTW.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/CM2SH...edition?_ga=1.217119894.1093185256.1490749570
I a bit confused. How does rosewood on a guitar that's built for a USA company earn restrictions when shipping back into the USA? Don't all the SEs get set up here in the first place? Wouldn't those restrictions have already somehow been satisfied along the way?

Back