EVH PRS - project #1

The Fight

Long Hair Demigod
Hey dudes! So long story short I bought an awesome black 91 ce24, all maple neck. Installing a floyd rose (3rd prs) and came across a pickup problem. I feel like I the Hfs pickup I have in it at the moment is a bit to harsh. When playing clean especially with coil tap, it is just awesome. But when playing rhythm it just gets to bright and sharp at times. I normally have no problems with the Hfs pickups and actually prefer them over most other pickups. I remember trading out the bridge hfs out of my 96 custom 24 for a evh pickup. It did not work. The Hfs killed it on many different levels, including volume.
I'm thinking bcs that pickup was designed for that guitar/wood combination.

So what am I trying to do? I guess I'm trying to make my ce more like Eddies. would the evh pickup up be what I'm looking for in the ce? Seeing that Eddies guitar was a maple neck. Totally looking to find a pickup that is designed for a maple neck.
Any one have any suggestions on other pickups they have tried? Or mby I should just change my volume pot to 250K to cut down the brightness.

Any help would be appreciated!

I feel the same way about the HFS. I just can't bond with that pickup. For what ever reason, I put one in my McCarty which is tuned to D and drop C. It sounded pretty good in that tuning so I would ask what tuning are you using?

Somebody on here has an EVH proto type prs. I don't remember what it had for a pickup. Maybe search for that thread.

Good luck.

I usually just use drop D tuning.
The Hfs is my favorite for the custom24 and does rock/heavy very good.
I was thinking for the ce mby changing to a mule, DAllen tru59, Gibson angus, or mby even a burst bucker. I just want that guitar more eddie/classic rock sound.
I'll check out the old posts, thanks!

Oh woah that's sick! Alright that's totally a good choice, I was hoping someone would comments on that pickup. That things bin on my mind for a wile. Thank you!

Hey quick question! Do you know anything about the Evh pickup up? I have one still yet to try it in my ce. How do you think it would compare to the Vhll? either way I'm ordering one this weekend, hey thanks for the help. Stoked!

The EVH Frankenstien is amazing, the Wolfgang a little less so, but still in the same vein and cheaper. My personal preference here is Frankenstein, BK VHII, Wolfgang.

I own an EVH Steath with zebra Wolfgangs
2 Charvel EVH Art Series ( red, white and black and black and white ) with Frankenstiens
A Jackson PC1 with a Frankenstien

I find the Frankenstiens to have a bit more bite or gain than the BKP VHII, otherwise they are really close, the Wolfgangs are less vintage EVH, more current version of his sound than the original brown sound.

Hope this helps!

Hey Raven17 never got the chance to thank you for recommending the Vhii bareknuckle pickups. They were the best pickup for my Ce24. Now I get some crazy good classic tone with just the right amount of hair. Thanks man!

Thanks for the kick in the knuts, Fight - I don't think I ever thanked Raven for the advice on the Frankenstein in my EVH Striped. It took an hour or so of modding - the pickup base and tabs were not meant to fit in the Striped cavity, so I had to use some cutters and a file to get everything to fit. Thank goodness it was really soft metal! But I eventually got the pickup in, the wiring was the easy part, and it sounds a lot better. More agressive, harmonics just leap out of it. Now I sound just like Eddie!

That's Eddie, Iron Maiden's mascot.

Good deal guys, I know I enjoy my EVH guitars and use them when I'm in the mood to channel my inner "Brown Sound".

Something cheep to try, by an alnico magnet off of ebay for a few bucks and just swap the magnet to see if you like it.

I've tried pretty much every EVH-style pickup there is. My personal favorite is the Seymour Duncan EVH, which they now call the 78. But for an alder-bodied CE, the first thing I'd try is the EVH Frankenstein. Good luck!

I'v been seeing the 78 for a wile now and have been wondering how it sounds.
Mby give it a try, I didn't really like the frankenstein though.

Back