Everything is bigger in TX, right?

DougUSMC

Perpetual Practicer
Ok, heading down to the fine state of TX next week, and have a hankering to see if bigger = better.

As a lefty, I'm always looking for great places to expand my search base, on the off chance that I'll find something.

I'll be in/around San Antonio, so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction: What's the biggest/best (your call) store in the are for guitars?? Where am I most likely to find such an amazing selection that there may be one, nay possibly TWO nice PRS lefties on the wall??

Oh man! @veinbuster ’s guitar happens to be on sale there right now. You should tell us what that gold leaf SC Santana looks like IRL.
Hmmm, didn't see it on the site. Hopefully that means they have more than what's shown, since I don't see a single lefty. It looks like a great shop, so I'm interested in visiting, but it sux when I hit somewhere and there's NOTHING to consider...

If you're up for a 90 minute drive to Austin you can check out Guitar Resurrection.
I might have to, for a few reasons:
1) Monday is the best day for me to shop, and it looks like Lark is closed on Mondays
2) I don't see any lefties @ Lark
3) Anyone with a website as TERRIBLE as Guitar Resurrection (that still manages to stay in business) has to be a cool store!! :D

Hmmm, didn't see it on the site. Hopefully that means they have more than what's shown, since I don't see a single lefty. It looks like a great shop, so I'm interested in visiting, but it sux when I hit somewhere and there's NOTHING to consider...

I can only imagine how disheartening guitar shopping must be.

It’s listed under their Private Stocks.

I can only imagine how disheartening guitar shopping must be.

It’s listed under their Private Stocks.

Ah, my bad, only looked under Pre-owned. That's a really good looking guitar.

Yuuup, it's a huge PITA. It's not really that challenging with the "big two" manufacturers, but anything cooler than that and I'm just looking, and looking, and looking...

Funny story on how I got my Custom 24, sorry if it's a repeat to some from my "Introduce yourself" thread:
At PRS Exp 2018 w/my brother-in-law, who also plays (better than I), and has PRS'. That's infuriating b/c he's a lefty too, but has always played righty, and doesn't understand my pain. Nay, mocks it. :D
First day, Signature Club only time, ALLLLLLL the dealers are JUST set up w/all the shiny new beauties on sale...
BiL: This has to be killing you, all these awesome guitars
Me: Nope, there isn't a single lefty here, b/c PRS doesn't make a Core lefty in '18, so no temptation. Besides, the only thing I want is a Custom 24, black/black, 10 top, etc...
<Turns corner, finds EXACTLY that guitar, the ONLY lefty @ PRS Exp, in an '18>
Me: $hit, I'm going to have to call your sister.

'Course, the "lefty curse" is also why I managed to convince the wife I *had* to go to the factory to meet the Moore Guitar guys again in the Vault, b/c a PS is really "the only way" I can get the Lefty I "need". :D

Good luck with finding Lefty guitars, and the River Walk is a must. My oldest is in Houston, and we have done the San Antonio thing a couple times...the walk is awesome. The Alamo is a great piece of history, too, and you're right there.
And the saving grace is it ain't hot down there, YET!!!!! Safe travels, and Enjoy!!!!

From Oklahoma so I can't really say much about guitar shops that way, but have been to the river walk several times. Totally worth it. On one trip my family also ran into "sleepy little town around San Antone". Can't remember the name ;) but I saw the city limit sign and was like "it does exist!!!!!" Because we were literally just driving around trying to find something else. Made my dad drive around the block so he could see the sign too.

Anyway back to the point, in the Dallas area I've been to Sanctuary guitars. Cool place. Probably not as big as the site makes it look. Decent selection, I have no idea if they'd have a lefty. I've been there once. But plan to go back.

I might have to, for a few reasons:
1) Monday is the best day for me to shop, and it looks like Lark is closed on Mondays
2) I don't see any lefties @ Lark
3) Anyone with a website as TERRIBLE as Guitar Resurrection (that still manages to stay in business) has to be a cool store!! :D

Lark is an amazing guitar shop with a great selection of nice high end guitars

Guitar Resurrection in Austin also has a nice selection of nice high end guitars, but their not very customer friendly.

IF you drive up in a Merecedes, Jag, or other high end car and dress the part, they might give the red carpet treatment.

Otherwise, you'll be neglected and the might not really want you to audition their high end gear.

For good used gear, Space Tone music is by far the best used guitar shop in San Antonio.

For the best selection of high end left handed guitars, you'd have to visit Southpaw Guitars in Houston.

Nobody in Texas touched them for left handed guitar selection.

https://www.southpawguitars.com/19-gibson-left-handed-guitars

I searched and found Guitar Sanctuary. Don’t know if they are near your location, but on their website they have several left handed PRS

I searched and found Guitar Sanctuary. Don’t know if they are near your location, but on their website they have several left handed PRS

Yes that’s what it’s called. Cool place. But Dallas isn’t exactly close. According to google it’s about a 4hr drive. It’s “only” 3 hrs to Houston again according to google. And if the place in Houston is called “South Paw Guitars”, that might be my destination. That said I’ve never been to that store. I think someone mentioned Austin. I think it’s even closer. And I mean it’s the home of Austin City Limits. It might be the coolest most musical town in Texas. Anyway just thinking out loud. Mostly for my own entertainment.

Ok, heading down to the fine state of TX next week, and have a hankering to see if bigger = better.

As a lefty, I'm always looking for great places to expand my search base, on the off chance that I'll find something.

I'll be in/around San Antonio, so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction: What's the biggest/best (your call) store in the are for guitars?? Where am I most likely to find such an amazing selection that there may be one, nay possibly TWO nice PRS lefties on the wall??

Spacetone Guitars in SA has some interesting stuff, as well as the above mentioned Guitar Resurrection...and if you want to go a lil further...take a tour of the Collings Factory just outside Austin

Ok, so here's the running list:

Spacetone in San Antonio: Good quality used stuff - might have to check out if I have time
Lark in San Antonio: Great high end guitars, would be first stop, IF they were open tomorrow when I have 1/2 a day to kill. Might have to check them out later in the week
Guitar Resurrection: 80 mi from the airport, but open Monday. Might be heading there straight from the airport.
Southpaw guitars: Looks like my best bet, but 200 mi away, not going to make it this trip.
Guitar Sanctuary: Interesting shop, but 300 mi away, not happening.

Unless SW screws up ANOTHER flight, look for updates from Guitar Resurrection tomorrow. :D

If you're up for a 90 minute drive to Austin you can check out Guitar Resurrection.
Good call on GuitarRez. I bought one there a year ago. Kind of an odd location but decent folks and good selection.

Wow, talk about a great trip!

I started at Resurrection. Great place, a lot of beautiful guitars, but no lefties. I had a great chat with the team there, but they didn’t have anything for me.
I hit Lark Guitars today, and they’re another great shop. Really beautiful place, with an amazing collection of guitars. Cool shop, cool people, totally glad I visited but nothing there for me.
Space Tone is the one that hooked me up. Used instrument shop, with a hell of a selection. While checking them out I found a used Strat, they made a great deal, and I’m now noodling along on it in my hotel room.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

Wow, talk about a great trip!

I started at Resurrection. Great place, a lot of beautiful guitars, but no lefties. I had a great chat with the team there, but they didn’t have anything for me.
I hit Lark Guitars today, and they’re another great shop. Really beautiful place, with an amazing collection of guitars. Cool shop, cool people, totally glad I visited but nothing there for me.
Space Tone is the one that hooked me up. Used instrument shop, with a hell of a selection. While checking them out I found a used Strat, they made a great deal, and I’m now noodling along on it in my hotel room.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!
Sounds like a good trip. I spent about 2 hours at GuitarRez back in October. Heading to San Antonio in August and will have to check out both Lark and Spacetone, Cheers.

Back