Ever take a tool to your PRS?

I'll take any tool to any guitar if it needs to be done. Screwdriver, hammer, soldering iron, drill, router, whatever it takes.
You just haven't lived until you've routed Les Pauls and Singlecuts for Floyds!

FR17.jpg

FR35.jpg

I'll take any tool to any guitar if it needs to be done. Screwdriver, hammer, soldering iron, drill, router, whatever it takes.
You just haven't lived until you've routed Les Pauls and Singlecuts for Floyds!

Nice work. That's sweet!
Not yet ready to "live" like that on my PRSi, because if it went wrong I would certainly feel like dying.

I do everything I need on my guitars.
Pickup swaps, piezo install, complete setups, even refinishes when I had more free time.
My last (yet unfinished, needs clearcoat) project is this, inspired by PRS's faded blue Jean finish.
DSC00176.jpg

Soldering irons? No problem. Screwdrivers? I'm fine with them.

I do not fear the tool any more. ;)

Pass the soldering iron. The only things I don't try to tackle are frets and refinishing, but I can't imagine ever wanting to refinish my PRSs - they're beautiful just as they are.
Pickups are a different story. :)
Oh...and I drank the Kool Aid and replaced pots and caps, too!

I used to do almost all of it before I played PRS. I was convinced I could get cheap guitars and upgrade them and they would be just as good. This involved routing for pickups, refinishing, pretty much anything short of working on the frets.

My main PRS has not needed any of these things. I did swap the pickups but that's it (I'm pretty sure most will agree DGT pickups are better than Dragon 2s).

I really enjoyed working on the guitars in all phases, planning, purchasing, executing, playing. If I won the lottery I'd probably go to Roberto Venn and learn to make guitars, set up a small shop and work on them whenever I wanted to. However, that's the stuff of dreams. The reality is I work, have a family and play in a band. There just isn't enough time for much else!

Back