Ever sell all your guitars to purchase another PRS?

a cheaper super eagle would be SWEET!
I'd like to see an S2 or SE line of silver sky as well.

Thanks! I think so!
340r2wT.jpg

Triple win!

Back in 2000, my local GC had a Labor Day Weekend sale. I wandered around and plugged in a 1999 HB-II and, well, it just spoke to me.

I'd never had a PRS before, and I don't recall now why I even picked it up (other than seeing violin amber, birds and a 10-top). But it was calling me by my secret name.

An appalling (for me, at the time) amount of money later, I went home with it. I knew I had to sell off some other guitars fast, before the credit card bill hit.

23 days later, I had sold off a minty 1997 Guild Starfire IV (Westerly production, flawless blonde pinstripe flamed maple body and neck) and a perfect 1998 Heritage 535 (back when even their pickguards were flamed maple).

Haven't missed either of the ones I sold, and I still cherish the HB-II nearly 20 years later.

-K-

Man, I would've loved to get my hands on that Starfire, John Mayer playing one on "Come When I Call" on the "Where the Light Is" DVD is one of my top semi hollow tones of all time. The newer Guilds just don't interest me, they look cheap.

When I was in high school I had a friend that had a vintage yellow PRS. I think it was an 1985 model. Ever since then I have wanted a PRS.
Fast forward many years. I would change guitars depending on the bands I was in.
I was a Gretsch guy for a long time because I was fronting a Rockabilly band. I had a 6120 DSW and a Brian Setzer 6120 Signature and a Tele.

When th Rockabilly came to an end and I was asked to play lead in a classic Rock cover band I kinda switched gears and was after a new sound that could handle a wide variety of tones.

I played a PRS CU24 at guitar center and was very happy with it and thought back to my high school days and knew the PRS would be my next guitar.

I found a 1997 Emerald Green CU24 on TGP and the seller was looking for a Gretsch 6120.
So I traded the DSW and was enjoying my first PRS. Sold that to a close friend who still gigs with it every weekend.

Fast forward a few years later and I saw a CL ad in San Diego for a PRS. There was no description just a pic and PRS. The seller was looking for trades.
After talking with him, he wanted to trade for my Brian Setzer signature Gretsch. I was a bit reluctant but was headed to San Diego for a week on the beach in Coronado so I decided to meet up.
He gave me an address which was under an overpass near train stop in chula vista area. It looked shady but I had my brother with me and my Glock so I wasn't too worried.

I got there about the same time as the other party and we talked for about a minute and pulled out the guitars. I opened my case first and he instantly fell in love and said Deal! But wait a minute. I gotta check out his PRS.
He opened the case and my jaw dropped. A 2006 Artist 22 with a one Piece Burl Maple Top in Violin burst! Mint condition.
I picked it up, played it a bit and shook on it. DEAL!
This is one of those guitars I love so much it will never leave my hands.

Years later I scored a deal on a 1934 Martin 0017 in excellent shape. I got it to flip it and was into it for less than 500 bucks and thought another PRS would be nice. I went to a local music shop and showed it to them. His eyes got big and you could tell he really wanted it. He was a big Martin guy. The owner said if I wanted to trade it pick anything in the store.
So I went over to the guitar wall and grabbed a brand new PRS Signature Limited in black gold burst. I said, I will take this one. And a deal was made. Sold that to the same good friend who still gigs with it every weekend.

My most recent acquisition is my 1989 CE 24 in electric blue.
I've always liked the electric blue color so when one popped up with a maple fretboard I couldn't pass it up. Also another Gear Page deal.
This is my 4th PRS and will be not be sold. So this one and my Amber violin Artist will be with me forever and ever.

So there you have. The history of the River Rat PRS quest. I'm sure I will be adding another PRS. I liked the Sig LTD and may pick up another in the far future.

What I would really like is my friends 1985 PRS in vintage Yellow. But that will never happen. He went sell and I'm sure this things are way out priced for my budget.

Last edited:
Some guitars come and go, some stay for the duration. It's the way it works. There's only one guitar I've sold that I truly regret selling.

I just went through a mini purge. I ordered a Custom 24-08 Artist that should be coming in October/November (1 year wait time....tick tock tick tock tick tock.....). I didn't need to sell anything, but I'm kind of running out of space in my home studio. The closet is full of guitar cases, the walls are full of guitars, I've got two amps and cabinets, my recording desk, all of my mics in their cases, a corner devoted to vocal recording and my son's drum set all in a 10 x 10 room. I was looking around going, where am I going to put the 24-08? Where am I going to store the case?

I sold my Les Paul Standard and sold a Gibson Custom Shop 339.

I think I'm in a fairly stable place with regards to guitars...for now. Looking forward to the 24-08.

Just because I know folks like talking about guitars and collections:

• Fabrizio Alberico built baritone acoustic guitar (Italian Spruce over Cocobolo)
  • Fabrizio Alberico built OM (European Spruce over Cocobolo)
  • Matt Mustapick built GC (Sitka over Narra)
  • Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody II Artist
  • Paul Reed Smith Vela
  • Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
  • Fender American Elite Stratocaster
  • Fender MIM Fishman Triple Play Stratocaster HSS
  • Fender American Jazz Bass
  • Yamaha silent guitar
  • Paul Reed Smith Custom 24-08 Artist (on order. Supposed to arrive in October or November)

I have certainly sold a few to pay for one and then sold that one to pay for a few. It's all fun and part of the hobby.

It is always done to justify that next new toy.

As stated prior, I’ve aleays been a tele Guy.

Once I got my s2 singlecut standard, I’ve been trying to compare any guitar I own with it. Long story short, there IS no comparison, dangit!

I can’t like the teles any more. I can’t like my jaguars, or my sg’s. I’m a bit ticked off.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but the older I get I prefer humbuckers to single coil, whereas I’ve always been a single coil guy.

Can anybody explain this to me? It’s a strange phenomena that I’m not used to.

Same boat

>>Bought an S2 Starla
>>wow this is nice.jpeg
>>Stopped playing everything else
>>Bought a CE22

Now looks like I'm holding onto my strat as it is sentimental, but everything else is about to be sold off. When I go to pick up a guitar now it's one of the two US PRSi

Having worked Full-time, then Part-time at a local music store that has always carried PRS (for the last +/-35 years), my collection has always changed. When I married my wife, I had about 40 guitars...(PRS, Gibby's , Fenders, Guilds, Yamahas, etc.) At some point about 20 years ago...I was all-in for the good stuff.(drank the PRS Kool-Aid, blah blah blah, baby!!!) They're just consistently better, so why not. A couple regrets stand out...one of the first McCarty's in Gorgeous Green (of course), and an early Studio (HSS) with a great Flame Red 10 top got away (ok, and a fretless first generation black fretless, Bill!!!!). The Studio had moons, but they were even cool! My collection's about cut in half, but all in, except for Spector fretless basses, which are incredibly well made, too.
When Graingers are available fretless, (Not as PS), well, that will raise quite a conundrum!! But mainly, no regrets...Have played many, and loved them all.

Some amazing stuff guys! Is that really a one piece Burl top RiverRat? I'm pretty sure I see a join line, but not that it matters anyway. It's a sweet guitar.

I have sold or traded ( to get more or different PRS )

Funny looking at the list it would be a great collection :)

Fender Tele
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les paul ( x2 )
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Startocaster ( x3 )
PRS SE Tremonti
PRS SCT (Rosewood Neck)
PRS Mira 245
PRS KL-33
PRS SC-58
PRS Core Starla
PRS 305
PRS CU24
PRS CU22
PRS NF3
PRS Modern Eagle II

I’ve sold all my PRSes to buy a special PRS, for goodness’ sake!

So I guess the answer is...yes?

Back