Ever sell all your guitars to purchase another PRS?

horax

As stated prior, I’ve aleays been a tele Guy.

Once I got my s2 singlecut standard, I’ve been trying to compare any guitar I own with it. Long story short, there IS no comparison, dangit!

I can’t like the teles any more. I can’t like my jaguars, or my sg’s. I’m a bit ticked off.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but the older I get I prefer humbuckers to single coil, whereas I’ve always been a single coil guy.

Can anybody explain this to me? It’s a strange phenomena that I’m not used to.

You could be right, but it could also be the honeymoon period!
I haven't sold all of my other guitars, but I did a some "rationalization process" and sold a few though.
If your feelings are the same a few months later, then I think it would be the time to consider changing/selling stuff...

When I bought my PRS I had a smaller house, no kids and savings. I didn't need to sell anything off (though I did move one on mostly to save space). Now all of that has changed and I'd need to sell all of my non-PRS guitars to be able to afford the level of PRS model that i'd want. But then I'd be missing a Strat, Les Paul and 335 type guitars :(
One day when finances have recovered (read sending the Wife back out to work) I may be able to add additional PRSi to the stable, but I can't really see myself selling my other guitars just yet.

I sold 4 PRS’s to get 1 private stock PRS. Have sold that private stock and wish I still had 3 of the 4 I sold.

I sold a 1969 Gibson SG and a Suhr standard pro to fund two of my four PRS. When the bug bites, it bites hard. Completely happy with my decision though, my custom 24 is a million times better than that SG was.

Last edited:
Traded an 89 strat plus for an SC245.

To be fair I thought I could get great strat sounds from the 245 and although the single coil sounds are nice, I ended up buying an American Standard when they were being blown out for the Professionals. PRS is still my fav but when I feel like playing a Strat I really like having one around.

I currently only have 8 prs guitars. Most all my other guitars are gone.

I've considered selling them and getting a private stock but that's a gamble. I like the guitars a have and the private stock would have to be extremely incredible and extremely versatile. I certainly don't want to regret a decision like that.

I currently own an S2 Singlecut, a Bernie, a Gibson Firebird Studio and an SG. Since I got the S2 it's the only guitar I play. I want another one and am considering selling any or all of my other guitars. I love the Bernie but the S2 is different gravy.

Yes. I tend to do that. The guitars I am not playing get moved toward guitars that I connect with. I wait, though. I make SURE the guitars I move out are ones I do not like. I play all my PRS' live with my band, and that is the proving ground. If the guitar doesn't "click" after a show or two, it's gone.

I will get remorseful sometimes, but it is ALWAYS from a "hoarding" perspective - not a playing perspective. My BEST advice would be to not make any rash decisions. Wait a little while before deciding what to get rid of.

I know I could be honeymooning....but dang, I've never mooned like this.

I currently have:
Taylor GC3 (NOT selling....I agreed to name my son Taylor (wife's decision) in trade for me buying a guitar he could get when I die)
Yamaha A3R (NOT selling YET....amazing and my daughter wants it as she helped pick it out)
1966 Gibson SG Jr (pelham blue with bigsby)
2013 Squier VM Jaguar (for surf music)
2013 USA Fender Tele Standard with B5 bigsby
2017 Fender Brad Paisley Signature Telecaster
2017 Blake Wright Guitars 1959 Les Paul Clone
2017 PRS S2 Singlecut Standard with birdies

My wife THINKS I only own 6 guitars...but knew I was buying the PRS as well.
I still have an empty case, too.

I'm not moving anything just yet, but in reality I COULD trim down a bit.
if I feel the same a few months from now I'd have to make some decisions....decisions I'd hate making
but would be understandable if I never play any of them again. I think the Gibson might have
to stay becuase it's a golden era gibson....but who knows about the rest.

the usa tele has the broadcaster/twisted tele pickup combo, and the brad paisley is beautiful and has an overwound 64 bridge pickup with a twisted tele
neck. Both get amazing sounds, just nto as in depth as I'm getting from the PRS.

1st world problems....gah!

It's been my experience that returning to an "old friend" after a long period of time in the case is a homecoming of sorts. If there is no financial need, make sure you are done with it before you move it on.

It's been my experience that returning to an "old friend" after a long period of time in the case is a homecoming of sorts. If there is no financial need, make sure you are done with it before you move it on.

truly wise words.
I'm sure there will be a time where I'd wish I had something laying around that used to be there.

good point!

Back