Ever sell all your guitars to purchase another PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by horax, May 15, 2018.

1. horax

horax New Member

As stated prior, I’ve aleays been a tele Guy.

Once I got my s2 singlecut standard, I’ve been trying to compare any guitar I own with it. Long story short, there IS no comparison, dangit!

I can’t like the teles any more. I can’t like my jaguars, or my sg’s. I’m a bit ticked off.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but the older I get I prefer humbuckers to single coil, whereas I’ve always been a single coil guy.

Can anybody explain this to me? It’s a strange phenomena that I’m not used to.

dogrocketp and TRJC24PRS like this.
  2. Jazzedout

Jazzedout New Member

You could be right, but it could also be the honeymoon period!
    I haven't sold all of my other guitars, but I did a some "rationalization process" and sold a few though.
    If your feelings are the same a few months later, then I think it would be the time to consider changing/selling stuff...

horax likes this.
  3. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

I sold everything for car parts. 2 electrics, 1 acoustic, 2 Bass, 2 multi effects pedal's, 1 Roland Cube 30x amp. Regrets.

4. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

When I bought my PRS I had a smaller house, no kids and savings. I didn't need to sell anything off (though I did move one on mostly to save space). Now all of that has changed and I'd need to sell all of my non-PRS guitars to be able to afford the level of PRS model that i'd want. But then I'd be missing a Strat, Les Paul and 335 type guitars :(
    One day when finances have recovered (read sending the Wife back out to work) I may be able to add additional PRSi to the stable, but I can't really see myself selling my other guitars just yet.

dogrocketp likes this.
  5. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I am a hog...
    I have sold nothing.
    That being said, I only had 2 guitars for many years. An old Yamaha Strat clone, and a lovely Fender dread acoustic.
    The acoustic got stolen a long time ago.
    I should replace it.:D

ScottR, bodia and veinbuster like this.
  6. sloanthebone

sloanthebone I love quilts!

I sold 4 PRS’s to get 1 private stock PRS. Have sold that private stock and wish I still had 3 of the 4 I sold.

bodia likes this.
  7. JustRob

JustRob Just a member

I have painted, hacked, routed and modded all of my non-PRS guitars to the point that I'm not sure I could sell them. They'd have to be donated for someone to take them.

Bill SAS 513, ScottR, bodia and 2 others like this.
  8. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 New Member

I sold a 1969 Gibson SG and a Suhr standard pro to fund two of my four PRS. When the bug bites, it bites hard. Completely happy with my decision though, my custom 24 is a million times better than that SG was.

#8 21Hemispheres12, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  9. Smitty

Smitty New Member

Traded an 89 strat plus for an SC245.

To be fair I thought I could get great strat sounds from the 245 and although the single coil sounds are nice, I ended up buying an American Standard when they were being blown out for the Professionals. PRS is still my fav but when I feel like playing a Strat I really like having one around.

10. gush

gush New Member

I currently only have 8 prs guitars. Most all my other guitars are gone.

I've considered selling them and getting a private stock but that's a gamble. I like the guitars a have and the private stock would have to be extremely incredible and extremely versatile. I certainly don't want to regret a decision like that.

11. Barquentine

Barquentine New Member

I currently own an S2 Singlecut, a Bernie, a Gibson Firebird Studio and an SG. Since I got the S2 it's the only guitar I play. I want another one and am considering selling any or all of my other guitars. I love the Bernie but the S2 is different gravy.

ScottR, grausch and andy474x like this.
  12. markd21

markd21 New Member

Yes. I tend to do that. The guitars I am not playing get moved toward guitars that I connect with. I wait, though. I make SURE the guitars I move out are ones I do not like. I play all my PRS' live with my band, and that is the proving ground. If the guitar doesn't "click" after a show or two, it's gone.

I will get remorseful sometimes, but it is ALWAYS from a "hoarding" perspective - not a playing perspective. My BEST advice would be to not make any rash decisions. Wait a little while before deciding what to get rid of.

ScottR, dogrocketp and horax like this.
  13. horax

horax New Member

I know I could be honeymooning....but dang, I've never mooned like this.

I currently have:
    Taylor GC3 (NOT selling....I agreed to name my son Taylor (wife's decision) in trade for me buying a guitar he could get when I die)
    Yamaha A3R (NOT selling YET....amazing and my daughter wants it as she helped pick it out)
    1966 Gibson SG Jr (pelham blue with bigsby)
    2013 Squier VM Jaguar (for surf music)
    2013 USA Fender Tele Standard with B5 bigsby
    2017 Fender Brad Paisley Signature Telecaster
    2017 Blake Wright Guitars 1959 Les Paul Clone
    2017 PRS S2 Singlecut Standard with birdies

My wife THINKS I only own 6 guitars...but knew I was buying the PRS as well.
    I still have an empty case, too.

I'm not moving anything just yet, but in reality I COULD trim down a bit.
    if I feel the same a few months from now I'd have to make some decisions....decisions I'd hate making
    but would be understandable if I never play any of them again. I think the Gibson might have
    to stay becuase it's a golden era gibson....but who knows about the rest.

the usa tele has the broadcaster/twisted tele pickup combo, and the brad paisley is beautiful and has an overwound 64 bridge pickup with a twisted tele
    neck. Both get amazing sounds, just nto as in depth as I'm getting from the PRS.

1st world problems....gah!

Bill SAS 513 likes this.
  14. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

It's been my experience that returning to an "old friend" after a long period of time in the case is a homecoming of sorts. If there is no financial need, make sure you are done with it before you move it on.

ScottR, bodia, veinbuster and 2 others like this.
  15. horax

horax New Member

truly wise words.
    I'm sure there will be a time where I'd wish I had something laying around that used to be there.

good point!

16. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc The pullout king.

Duh.

ScottR and bodia like this.
  17. veinbuster

veinbuster Coming of age

I’ve never sold anything to buy something else. I just wait until I can afford to buy the new thing. Sometimes it really is nicer than the old thing, sometimes it isn’t.

Over time, things I don’t have any further use for may find new homes.

ScottR, bodia and andy474x like this.
  18. horax

horax New Member

I'm assuming you have?

19. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc The pullout king.

Of course. Best idea ever.

ScottR, bodia and dogrocketp like this.
  20. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

About 80 11.

Anybody want to buy one or five?