Ever notice how...

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I'm with ya on the maple board thing. I don't know why...but it feel so right...if loving maple is wrong...I don't wanna be right...HUGE statement from me (according to the redhead) .

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I'm with ya on the maple board thing. I don't know why...but it feel so right...if loving maple is wrong...I don't wanna be right...HUGE statement from me (according to the redhead) .
I thought you’d lean toward something with a bit of rouge in it!:p

Went two places today to see if either had one to try. No luck. Keeping in mind I’ve never played a Vela or a Starla, I’ve never heard any of those pickups. Really want to try one first. This is not a Swamp Ash Studio we’re talking here, which is something I had always wanted. But I have NFs and 57/08s so either in an ash guitar with maple board would be great with me. I’m just thinking this might be something tonally that I don’t have in a PRS anyway.

...Keeping in mind I’ve never played a Vela or a Starla, I’ve never heard any of those pickups...
The S2 Starla pup is a really fun pickup and unique to the PRS lineup. It maintains sizzle even when you’re pouring on the gain but not in a way that jabs your eardrums out, like the HFS (IMO). Plus, it splits really well, then blends with the Type D beautifully. By itself, the Type D is a truly beautiful pickup. Clean, it’s so articulate and chimey but still has a warmth that sets it apart from something like a Strat single coil. It does it’s own thing well and deserves a special setup in your rig. It will take gain and not squeal, but you’ll be happy that you set the EQ specifically for this pickup.

Like I’ve mentioned before, I’ve come close to swapping out the Starla for a vintage PAF a few times, but I decide it’s not worth messing with...I have other guitars for that sound. There’s something individual and fun about it...I love it!

Back