Ever Feel 'Competent' At Music?

László

Too Many Notes
As some here know, I've spent many, many hours, days, weeks and months on orchestral scores during the past 3 years. It's become something of an obsession, to the exclusion of previously important stuff, like...playing guitar!! But I love this kind of musical work. The genie is out of the bottle.

For years, one of my best friends has objectively been a lot better at orchestral work than I am. He's wonderful, and listening to his work has been most informative. Sure I'm ancient, but to stop learning is to give up on life. I'm not ready to do that! To his great credit, he's shared a lot of info I've taken into my own head.

Truth is, writing for an orchestra is not easy. The learning curve is long and convoluted.

Anyway, earlier in the week he sent me some of his recent orchestral work, and I sent him mine. Listening to his - beautiful, highly-skilled work, by the way - it dawned on me (well, more it hit me like a ton of bricks!) that I'm finally writing orchestral music on his level, or at least I'm close (who can be objective about their own work?).

I can't begin to explain what this realization felt like. Whatever, it increased my confidence level and enthusiasm.

Competent:

1. having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully
I would have to define what success is to answer under this definition. If I define success as satisfying my desire in what I produce, then yes, I am successful and therefore competent. If success is defined however as monetary gains or popularity, then I am an utter failure to this point, which is fine as my definition of success has been the former and not the latter!

2. (of a person) efficient and capable
I am able to produce what I call music, therefore under this definition, I would consider myself competent, but others may disagree!

3. acceptable and satisfactory, though not outstanding
I believe I have nailed it on this one!

Les, your stuff is great and ready for prime time IMO! Keep it up and as with all pursuits in life, you will grow and get better as you travel this complex orchestral path!! I would caution that continuing to try and compare your work to others is a fools errand IMO!!! Whether you like it better than another composers work or think it is in the same league should be irrelevant!!!!

Les = COMPETENT (definitions 1 & 2)!!!!!

I would caution that continuing to try and compare your work to others is a fools errand IMO!!! Whether you like it better than another composers work or think it is in the same league should be irrelevant!!!!
I agree that in the greater scheme of evaluating art it oughta be irrelevant, yet it's still instructive to listen to the work of talented people and decide whether mine's up to snuff.

After all, music is one of those things I get paying gigs in. It's a competitive field, unfortunately. There's no entrance exam to weed out the supposedly unqualified, and there's no guarantee of success if you follow certain steps, as there is in most professions. You put your stuff out there, and you're not competing with your buddies, you're competing with the best of the best in the world. No one's going to hire me because I used to be cute, got good grades, and dressed for success.

It's all based on the perception of the work.

I don't simply do this work for sh!ts and giggles.

So it's good to think I'm at least competitive. Nonetheless, I realize there's still a lot of work to do to get to the level I want to be at.

At the completely opposite end of the scale I do feel "competent" at some gigs, not all.
As it is a group effort supplying "known entities/songs" you get to read your audience in real time.
When I've got my part and vocals right, and everyone is running on all cylinders I feel competent.
And then there's the... um... variables...
Playing live has its pitfalls and/or glory.

I'm always ready to help celebrate one's success so congratulations Les!!

Well done sir!!

It's hard for me to feel competent about my abilities musically because I'm my own worse critic.

Being involved with this country band has brought me some personal satisfaction.

Hearing my guitar sharing the same space on a CD as a couple of Nashville guys feels like an achievement and playing live with this group is comforting in the fact that when I play the parts I created it sounds like the parts I created.

Anybody else playing the parts I created won't sound exactly like the parts I created. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, I'm happy for Les and anybody else that earns the right for a victory lap!!

As some here know, I've spent many, many hours, days, weeks and months on orchestral scores during the past 3 years. It's become something of an obsession, to the exclusion of previously important stuff, like...playing guitar!! But I love this kind of musical work. The genie is out of the bottle.

For years, one of my best friends has objectively been a lot better at orchestral work than I am. He's wonderful, and listening to his work has been most informative. Sure I'm ancient, but to stop learning is to give up on life. I'm not ready to do that! To his great credit, he's shared a lot of info I've taken into my own head.

Truth is, writing for an orchestra is not easy. The learning curve is long and convoluted.

Anyway, earlier in the week he sent me some of his recent orchestral work, and I sent him mine. Listening to his - beautiful, highly-skilled work, by the way - it dawned on me (well, more it hit me like a ton of bricks!) that I'm finally writing orchestral music on his level, or at least I'm close (who can be objective about their own work?).

I can't begin to explain what this realization felt like. Whatever, it increased my confidence level and enthusiasm.
It’s always going to be a journey
Not a destinnation

I don't know if I would say I am competent lol. I feel it is more of an ability to move from the ebb and flow of the boundaries of music. Some days I can traverse the sea of music other days I stay in the wadding area haha. To a degree, I find I will have these moments of clarity that will push you further into the vast ocean, sometimes controlled sometimes chaotic. Regardless these moments of clarity are exciting and definitely push me further into the music with the occasional frustration. When I look at guys like David Grissom and Vernon Reid and they just pull something amazing from out of nowhere I definitely question how they are maneuvering and not just that but where in the vast ocean they are traversing. Anyway just my 2 cents

My level and definition of competence is kind of like my level of manners at times. I can be as couth as the average rowdy....

Technically I'm probably "in"competent. I much prefer the term artistic. But frequently "artistically challenged".
You’re in good company.
It’s kinda like the old gunslinger analogy. You’re the best until someone better comes to town.

I’ve met a lot of “someone better”s. Luckily, in this context, that didn’t put me in a pine box.

Don't worry - it's hardly a distinction to be ignored, especially if you get the wrong demographic (like, say, rock musicians).

From the category of "Pitifully Sad But Nonetheless True Stories" .....I can't remember the actual conversation word-for-word anymore, but it went somewhat along these lines:

Me (to a former band-mate): "You've heard of composers like Mussorgsky, Respighi and Vaughan Williams?"

....shakes head.

Me: "Well, Elgar then....?"

Him: "Maybe. Bit old fashioned for me, that stuff."

Me: "Copland?"

Him, looking a bit more sure of himself this time: "He wrote a song that got covered by Emerson Lake and Palmer, didn't he?"

Don't worry - it's hardly a distinction to be ignored, especially if you get the wrong demographic (like, say, rock musicians).

From the category of "Pitifully Sad But Nonetheless True Stories" .....I can't remember the actual conversation word-for-word anymore, but it went somewhat along these lines:

Me (to a former band-mate): "You've heard of composers like Mussorgsky, Respighi and Vaughan Williams?"

....shakes head.

Me: "Well, Elgar then....?"

Him: "Maybe. Bit old fashioned for me, that stuff."

Me: "Copland?"

Him, looking a bit more sure of himself this time: "He wrote a song that got covered by Emerson Lake and Palmer, didn't he?"
Ha! Great story!

My competency gauge is set when I play with other musicians. I love to play irregardless!

In my bands I rarely ever get corrected or told what to play, but others do. Is that a sign of competency? Perhaps a higher calibre of musicians would set me straight. That said, I take any criticism in stride cos I know I'm not great in any way.

Or perhaps its like being cool...you're not until people tell you.

Great thoughts Les, your competency is STELLAR!!!

My competency gauge is set when I play with other musicians. I love to play irregardless!

In my bands I rarely ever get corrected or told what to play, but others do. Is that a sign of competency? Perhaps a higher calibre of musicians would set me straight. That said, I take any criticism in stride cos I know I'm not great in any way.

Or perhaps its like being cool...you're not until people tell you.

Great thoughts Les, your competency is STELLAR!!!
Thanks for the kind words...but I'm learning like everyone else!

Back