Even the Pro's Forget how to Switch their Piezos...

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
From Opeth's upcoming Live at Red Rocks DVD, filmed last year (and I was there :))... At 2:33 - good thing Fredrik held that note for a while!

So what if Mikael can't do the growls like he could 20 years ago - this music is still mindblowingly good! Really, these guys were barely out of their teens when they wrote this.

Oh! I let too much time pass between reading the subject line and watching the video... Got to that moment, and thought "oh, look at Mikael tuning on the sly while the feedback holds." "Wait. Dude you're taking too long!" Then he started looking distressed. Then I realized what was going on. :rolleyes: As a band they handled that really well.

Oh! I let too much time pass between reading the subject line and watching the video... Got to that moment, and thought "oh, look at Mikael tuning on the sly while the feedback holds." "Wait. Dude you're taking too long!" Then he started looking distressed. Then I realized what was going on. :rolleyes: As a band they handled that really well.
LOL! They're pro's... they know what to do. Sh!t happens and they deal with it. At the same show during Gojira's set, a Whammy pedal that was key to a song intro was not working - roadie runs on stage trying to fix it while Joe's foot is rocking up and down. o_O

I could really like these guys if they'd get a singer.

Says the guy who loves Dream Theater and Megadeth. :p
I didn't wanna say, but... to my ears James Labrie sounds like cat claws on a chalkboard. :eek: But, hey, we're all friends here, right? Different screachers for different preachers I guess!

And Mustaine... Love his voice (on record), but live, I can always envision him singing a theme song for ExLax :D

don't shoot me but that was absolutely awful, first time I heard that band and the last

I don’t require “great” singers. I like them more than most, but still it’s music first with me. Rush is still one of my all time favorites so that should tell you something. But I dont’ care if someone is the second coming of Dream Theater and Led Zeppelin combined, if they start the Cookie Monster stuff, I’m reaching for the off switch. Can’t stand that stuff.

i think the metal groaners are going for post-crooner tom waits.

TomWaitsSwordfishtrombones.jpg

Love the cookie monster Reference. I picked up a few Opeth discs when they were going to be at Experience...the music is absolutely my thing, but I MUCH prefer singers that hit actual melodies/ harmonies, which he does well, too. Kinda like Avenged Sevenfold. Love some , but not all of their stuff. Same reasoning.

Love the cookie monster Reference. I picked up a few Opeth discs when they were going to be at Experience...the music is absolutely my thing, but I MUCH prefer singers that hit actual melodies/ harmonies, which he does well, too. Kinda like Avenged Sevenfold. Love some , but not all of their stuff. Same reasoning.

Yep, I am firmly in this camp as well.

I’m not huge on the Cookie Monster vocals, but there are some I can take. These don’t bother me. And Mikael has a wicked sense of humor.

No cookies for this dude.

BTW, my wife just walked in the room and said, “please turn that off.” I can’t make this stuff up.

Buddy from another form was trying to get me turned on to a particular guitar player last year. Sent me a link to one of their videos. As soon as the cookie monster vocal started my wife gave me a look like I had an alien growing out of my stomach and said “what in the heck are you listening to?”

My answer, “a band that’s trying to get me to join.”
:p

Hahahaha!

You know, that would be the perfect cover if you ever felt the need to cheat on your wife, she’d never check to find out!
She’s seen Dream Theater, Deep Purple, Kansas, Asia, Genesis, and a few others with me, and she KNOWS I can’t stand the Cookie Monster. And she knows why.
She’s heard my father, brother, sister, me and just two days ago my daughter sing. She knows I can’t stand the cookie.

Back