Eriza Verde MC58

markd21

Another one...you can tell it's a boring Sunday, lol. Just hanging around watching "The Temptations" on VH-1 waiting for my wife to get motivated for the day....

So here's a cool one. When I went on my initial PRS spree I grabbed a Ted McCarty DC245. I was THRILLED because it had the 245 scale like my favored SC245....it had the 57/08s which, as I have mentioned numerous times, are MY pickup...it had the cool Santana headstock. In all, it should have been IT!!!! But, aside from the quality, I was not enamored with it...

A true beauty that just didn't work out. :(

Unusually, I was still within the return period at GC. I took it back to my buddy James, and began searching for another guitar. I had also returned another guitar (for whatever reason I cannot recall) and had about 5K to spend on an instrument. There were a few that were on the list, and we were researching them - how long they were in the system, how much the stores had bought them in for - they typical things we'd do to score killer guitars at the best price.

Sitting on that cash was HARD to do, lol - but my wife INSISTED that it be spent in the best way, getting the best quality instrument I could find. Well, after about a week the MC-58 popped up on the used site. We called the store in Colorado and talked to the manager. He texted me some KILLER pictures of the guitar, the serial, the birds - and we spent abut 15 minutes with him on the phone picking the guitar apart. It was expensive - and it had JUST come in, so there was NO wiggle room. I couldn't even SIT (in store transfer) it over. I HAD to buy it outright in order to check it out. Hmmmm.....

James and I talked about it. My biggest concern was that it just seemed to be the DC245 with a 25" scale and the regular headstock. I was miserable with the DC245. I was a bit uncomfortable at buying before trying - it was $2599 used. I had been returning a lot of guitars that didn't cut it for me, and the area manager was expressing concern to James. They were considering limiting my ability to utilize the return policy. It was a real risk.

After a couple hours of debating, I bought it. The manager in Colorado assured me that guitar was MINT and that it was a beast of a player too.

The day it arrived I had a gig. I ran to the store to get the guitar. When we pulled it out of the box I was graced with a KILLER paisley case. It instantly drew attention from the other guitarists in the store. A small crowd gathered around (probably 5-6 people) as I opened the case. Inside was the most BEAUTIFUL guitar I had seen. The color was VIVID, and a bit ostentatious, lol. The birds looked AMAZING. The fretboard was smooth and dark. The binding was sweet. The natural back and neck....man, I could go on and on, lol....

James and I took into the Vault and plugged it in. I only played it for 2-3 minutes. I didn't need any more. It was FLAWLESS. A looker AND a player. I carried it out to put it back in the case. A guy was standing there asked me:

"What are going to do with that guitar?"

I smiled, and said:

"Play it at my gig tonight!!!"

He was stunned and told me I was crazy. I laughed and shrugged my shoulders.

I signed my receipt, packed that guitar, and headed to the gig. I didn't even need to tweak the truss rod. When I got to the venue, I took it out and went to tune it. I didn't need to - it was PERFECTLY in tune.

I played that guitar for the whole set. Good thing it was killer because I didn't bring another one!!!!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WcnDWm]

More to come in a bit!! Unless my wife gets motivated, lol....[/url]

Thanks guys!! It is a particularly "perfect" piece. I went looking at some used Private Stock guitars that GC Lakeland has (had?) in stock. I brought the MC58 as the benchmark. The deal with my wife was that I could get one if it crushed the MC58 in EVERY, SINGLE way. She came with me to help me decide. Odd, right? What wife would come to "help" you buy a $9,999 USED guitar. The cards are already stacked against you, right??? Not in this case. My wife is the one who pushed me to get all these PRS' in the first place. She is a TV producer and has a great eye and ear for tone.

If you haven't noticed I am wordy, so I will get to the point. We picked over 4 Private Stock guitars. While ALL of them were SUPREMELY beautiful, none of them held a candle to the MC58 when it came to tone and playability. I even had the sales guy play each in conjunction with the MC58 and he agreed. In the end, my wife left it up to me. Her words:

"Get one if you want. I don't care. But you need to be honest with yourself, do any of these guitars offer you something different than what you have? Are you gaining anything other than bragging rights by buying one? You already have some that you don't play too often. Would one of these fall into that category?"

I debated with the Devil and the Angel, and in the end she was right. NONE of those guitars eclipsed the MC58. (For reference all those PS guitars were based on McCarty's or Custom 22s - my thing)

That is a beauty. Love that color and model. Has the headstock even been drilled for a truss rod cover? I don't see a hole there. If you don't like the black MC58 truss rod cover which I think was standard, get a rosewood one to match the headstock.

HAHAHA, good eye. Yes it was drilled for the TR cover, I just did a spot touch up to hide the whole. Good idea about the rosewood cover. I am not a fan of the GIANT MC58 on the TR cover. It's in the case candy bag. Yeah...a rosewood cover would be sweet. Where do you get one?

HAHAHA, good eye. Yes it was drilled for the TR cover, I just did a spot touch up to hide the whole. Good idea about the rosewood cover. I am not a fan of the GIANT MC58 on the TR cover. It's in the case candy bag. Yeah...a rosewood cover would be sweet. Where do you get one?

You can get them on ebay. Not expensive and they come in different shades of darkness. In fact, there are wooden control covers as well for the back of the guitar.

Back