EQ Or Pickup Swap? A Quick EQ Demo

László

Too Many Notes
There's been a lot of discussion of pickups, and folks wanting to change their tone.

As you may have read, I think pedal EQs can do things for guitar tone you might not expect. So here's a quick demo clip of Things You Can Do With EQ Pedals. Before listening, here's what I did:

Guitar: 594, 58/15 LTs - Full humbuckers. No coil splits!
Same guitar, exact same volume and guitar tone settings for each pickup, all parts of clip.

Amp: Mesa Lone Star 100, clean. Same setting for entire demo.

On the whole clip: Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2, set for just a small touch of grit when digging in. All parts of clip have exact same setting.

EQ Pedals In Demo:

Eventide H9, Pettyjohn Filter EQ..

The idea was to have the Eventide EQ set for a more extreme change in tone, and the Pettyjohn set for a more subtle change in tone, just a lift in the clarity frequencies to add a little air, and cut some bottom end flub.

And for grins, I also did passes with the Eventide on, plus the Pettyjohn on. Because EQs can stack nicely, just like drive pedals.

Funky Pattern = Neck Pickup Only:

The passes are all back-to-back.

1. Eventide "single coil" EQ on; 2. Eventide off; 3. Eventide "single coil" on plus my own Pettyjohn setting; 4. Eventide off, but Pettyjohn stays on.

Rock Pattern = Bridge Pickup Only:

1. Eventide "single coil" EQ on; 2. Eventide off; 3. Eventide "single coil" on plus my own Pettyjohn setting; 4. Eventide off, but Pettyjohn stays on.

Listen on decent speakers or headphones:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/eq-demo

As you can see, EQ pedals can do a lot. Here’s what I’m NOT saying:

I’m not saying EQ is somehow better than a pickup swap. That’s not my call, it’s different. I’m NOT saying that I’ve created a Strat with the Eventide EQ, just that it sounds single-coil-ish. An EQ is simply another option in the toolbox worth considering.

What I AM saying is that an EQ is something you can use with every guitar, and every amp, that you might find useful. And it costs about the same, or less, than one set of pickups.

So not trying to convince anyone of anything, other than, “Gee, the EQs make things sound different!”

Last edited:
Interesting things happen when Les gets bored.
I still prefer more guitars to fewer guitars and more pedals.

Hah! It’s a cloudy, muggy day here today. Had to find something to do.

So this thread isn’t about more guitars vs fewer guitars/more pedals. Because the obvious answer would be, get more guitars PLUS more pedals. ;)

The thread’s about ways to shape your tone with EQ.

Who shouldn’t know what EQ can do to help you get sounds you want?

Hah! It’s a cloudy, muggy day here today. Had to find something to do.

So this thread isn’t about more guitars vs fewer guitars/more pedals. Because the obvious answer would be, get more guitars PLUS more pedals. ;)

The thread’s about ways to shape your tone with EQ.

Who shouldn’t know what EQ can do to help you get sounds you want?
It's interesting.
I've gone through pretty rigorous ear training during my life (several years of dictation and sight singing, and some conducting). I have good though not amazing ear. Which is to say, if I'm training it, it's pretty damn sharp. When I'm not, it's pretty damn mediocre. I contrast that to friends that I have who's ears seem to always be very sharp, regardless of how much work they do (and no, they don't all have perfect pitch).
Until about 4 month ago, my knowledge, and approach, to EQ was EXTREMELY primitive. However, recently, I've been trying to learn more about recording and production; hence EQ has become a bigger topic for me. I have to say, my ear for pitch and rhythm, these days, is pretty "on". However, when I get into mucking about with EQ, I feel like I'm starting a new flavor of ear training as a beginner. At once, annoying, humbling, and fascinating

One day I’ll have to do a thread on how to set an EQ.
Well if you’re offering, I’ll be selfish
The aspect that I find most fascinating and challenging, is using eq to carve out room for instruments in a finite sonic space. The rough analogies that I’ve been keeping in mind to help have been how one uses orchestration-which I have a reasonable amount of experience with, and using organ stops- which I have considerably less experience with, but still more than I have with eq-ing mixes.
The analogies seem to have their merits, but only go so far

Well if you’re offering, I’ll be selfish
The aspect that I find most fascinating and challenging, is using eq to carve out room for instruments in a finite sonic space. The rough analogies that I’ve been keeping in mind to help have been how one uses orchestration-which I have a reasonable amount of experience with, and using organ stops- which I have considerably less experience with, but still more than I have with eq-ing mixes.
The analogies seem to have their merits, but only go so far

EQ’s pretty simple, when you get down to the basics. But it also has to be done in conjunction with panning, dynamics, relative volume, reverberation, and other factors.

Rule 1: Many recorded tracks don’t need any EQ to sit in a mix, so when in doubt, don’t EQ.

Interesting.
Not observing that rule may be a considerable part of the issue
I’m leading this off topic; apologies...
My practical problem is I’m using a virtual orchestra.
I can hear the instruments just fine out of the box.
The problem is, many of them don’t sound great to me. Eg, flutes to shrill, violins to brittle, etc.
so I muck about with EQ and often make things worse in various ways. The most common is a get an instrument to sound ok on its own, then suddenly it doesn’t sit well in the orchestration anymore- can’t hear it well usually
Perhaps my lesson is: if I don’t like the way an instrument or section is recorded, EQ isn’t going to help much (???). Or am I way off?

Perhaps my lesson is: if I don’t like the way an instrument or section is recorded, EQ isn’t going to help much (???). Or am I way off?

As with so many things, the answer is, “That depends.” But let’s pursue this another time. This thread’s about EQ pedals.

Finally had a chance to listen...VERY enlightening! Not really a surprise, but evidence that, in the hands of a pro, EQ can make anything happen. The difference between the 70s and now, besides the bell bottoms thing, is that Tom Scholz could not duplicate his studio magic in their live show until he created portable pedal versions of EQs and such things. Now, every pedalboard can do what Les demonstrated with 2 or 3 pedals. Amazing.

To my torn up ears, the Eventide EQ would sit more prominently in a mix, even if it were only with drums and bass. The Pettyjohn made the single guitar sound layered 2-3x, again, great if it’s the only rhythm guitar (double the track with Eventide detune for FAT fun). I’d imagine wanting the Eventide for lead, Pettyjohn for rhythm, and both if it were the only guitar on the track. Without them, the track sounded flat. Great examples of your point, Les!

Very cool topic, I’ve always used EQ to “balance” my tone and find that happy medium to have the ability to switch between pickups without getting lost in the mix. I’m gonna kick back and learn now, thanks Les

I don't know how people live without some sort of eq pedal. Even the greatest amps (cough DG30) can really benefit from some extra carving of frequencies.
After spending 25 years with my Boogie MkIII with a 5-band graphic EQ, I was a little lost when I went 100% with the Super Dallas. It doesn’t need an EQ, but sometimes it would be nice. I thought heavily about getting one of the Mesa pedal GEQs and putting it at the end of the pedal chain. Those 5 frequency bands are just about all I’d need. It’s the only reason I’d want an FX loop.

To my torn up ears, the Eventide EQ would sit more prominently in a mix, even if it were only with drums and bass. The Pettyjohn made the single guitar sound layered 2-3x, again, great if it’s the only rhythm guitar (double the track with Eventide detune for FAT fun). I’d imagine wanting the Eventide for lead, Pettyjohn for rhythm, and both if it were the only guitar on the track. Without them, the track sounded flat. Great examples of your point, Les!

Yup, I think the Eventide is more clinical, which isn’t a criticism, the PJ has the analog character that I bought it for. I could probably get them close, because they’re set differently here; but there is a basic character each has that’s useful.

I actually think the parts of the clip where I combined the two EQs achieve the tones I associate with a good Fender. But it’s not like there’s only one good Fender tone, anyhow.

Speaking only for myself, EQ is the most powerful tool I have on my pedalboard.

I don't know how people live without some sort of eq pedal. Even the greatest amps (cough DG30) can really benefit from some extra carving of frequencies.

EQ pedals can be real difference-makers.

One thing is that the turnover frequencies on an amp can be different from those on the pedal, making for more shaping possibilities, kind of like cutting and boosting at the same time on a Pultec.

I suppose one can EQ at the DAW or console. But as you know, getting the sound right at the source is a thing. And the EQ pedal drives the amp differently, so there’s that added factor.

I’m glad you all liked this little experiment; I’ll have to think of more of them.

Last edited:
Wonderful thread, and totally on-point IMO. It's amazing how many great players use EQ 100% of the time - from David Gilmour - to John 5 to all those crazy Nashville players. Often it's the venerable GE-7. I used a GE-7 (Sniper mod??) for years, the MXR 10-band back when it came out, and I've been really enjoying the EQ on the J Rockett Rockaway in the last year.

Still, as the OP pointed-out, there are qualities that just can't be had without a pickup swap.

For me, I am still working on getting my first PRS, so I am way behind you guys!

For me, I am still working on getting my first PRS, so I am way behind you guys!

You’re not behind, because PRS journeys never seem to be done! We’re right with ya, working on getting some darn PRS, no matter how many we’ve got!
:)

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread. I have been using a basic BOSS GE7 EQ and use it to shape tone (sometimes I preset it & then turn it on only when soling). I also use it occasionally as a volume boost. It does give you options and the more I experiment with it, the more I like it. Given my age, I have to document the EQ settings that I want for each song or I will quickly forget them.

Back