Enjoying a new guitar - dilemma

Mirroredas

Disclaimer: this is all hypothetical and curiosity driven, and not based on a specific brand.

You are buying a new guitar from a small builder. The guitars are really great and priced well, but the guy is a douche of biblical proportions (not necessarily a bad person, just someone who has traits that annoy you like crazy). His hands were all over it from the purchase of the woods to the final inspection.

Will you still buy it? Will you be able to enjoy the guitar as much as any other quality instrument?

I don't think I could go for it...

I wouldn’t go for it either. There are zillions of great guitars that are priced well. If you have a problem with the builder, buy a guitar from somewhere else.

Some people may have a different opinion of the builder. He can sell guitars to them. Everyone gets what they want. Problem solved.

That will be 2 cents please.

Disclaimer: this is all hypothetical and curiosity driven, and not based on a specific brand.

You are buying a new guitar from a small builder. The guitars are really great and priced well, but the guy is a douche of biblical proportions (not necessarily a bad person, just someone who has traits that annoy you like crazy). His hands were all over it from the purchase of the woods to the final inspection.

Will you still buy it? Will you be able to enjoy the guitar as much as any other quality instrument?

I don't think I could go for it...
Depends on what it sounds like. I know great people who came from parents I didn't like.

What if you found the guitar in a shop, fell in love with it, bought it without knowing about the builder, then later learned of the DB behind the instrument?

I think I would go to a different source if I had to interact with the builder to get the guitar. It would be an easier purchase if the guitar was just in a shop. Even easier if it was used and you know the money wasn’t going to the builder.

If a person is that annoying and hard to deal with, his product is probably not as great as you want to think.

I don’t know? Back when I bought my first PRS, I didn’t know Paul at all. He could’ve been a complete a-hole for all I knew. Fortunate for some and unfortunate for others that owners, founders and presidents are in the forefront of the public eye. The public knows everything about everyone these days. I’m sure I’ve purchased product from people who aren’t the nicest, decent human beings on earth. I probably wouldn’t endorse anything and yell from rooftops about it if I felt that way though.

Many of the greatest artists are insanely passionate which often puts them at odds with the rest of the world. However, bad business is bad business.

It's not about the guitar. Like has been said above, if I knew nothing about the guy until after the purchase I'd never take it out on the guitar. If I knew before the purchase I would decide based on the guy and not the guitar. If he irritated me that badly I'd walk away from the guitar (no matter how much I loved his work) based on my perception of him.

If the soup Nazi thought I deserved his soup, I still wouldn't buy it, no matter how good it was, period.

I should add that how the customer is treated is of the utmost importance in my book. If customer service is at all in question I won’t waste my time or take chances with a company. If said company owner conducts their business in a way that is off putting to me, no thanks. If it’s strictly weird personality traits that are annoying, eh, maybe. Depends what we’re talking about. There’s so many quality offerings out there these days that customers have the ability to be ultra picky. So public perception is important.

What about a guitar model of an artist who is problematic?

You wouldn't buy a new PRS Nick Catanese (if they still made them), but a used one? (FWIW, I wouldn't.)

I'm always curious about where these lines get drawn and if current artists with issues stick around.

From what I read that sounds like Alexander Dumble. I heard if you email him asking how your build is going he fines you and adds to the cost. Does that mean you wouldn't buy his amp if you had the money? I think anyone who is that anal about building an instrument or amp probably makes a great product. I personally would be more concerned about still being alive when it is done than his eccentricities

What about a guitar model of an artist who is problematic?

You wouldn't buy a new PRS Nick Catanese (if they still made them), but a used one? (FWIW, I wouldn't.)

I'm always curious about where these lines get drawn and if current artists with issues stick around.

Not even this one?

YnfMD0e.jpg

Back