EMG 89s with 5-way rotary?

Toejam

How would I go about installing a set of 89s with the rotary switch on my '97 CE-24? Or would I just be better off getting a 3-way toggle and using push/pull pots for the coil splitting?

Don’t EMGs have their own connector system? I would think you’d have to work around that.

EMG uses their own switch but I think they can be retrofitted, key word think or maybe?

Do EMGs have their own switch now? I've had EMGs before, just the 85, 60 and 81, but they only needed their own stereo jack (as well as their own 25k pots). The standard switch was fine on whatever guitars I had them in.
The 89s have the splitting capabilities (basically an 85 with the single coil mode of the SA.) Usually for splitting, you'd either use a mini switch or push/pull pot, but I figured there might be some way to get the splits with the PRS 5-way rotary, or maybe even add push/pull to the volume and/or tone controls. I'm not good with wiring, though, so I'd have to take it in to someone if I decide to swap out the Duncan Pearly Gates set that's in it now.

A quick goggle says its possible, but I've never tried it and personally would welcome the swap of a rotary. I really didn't dig too deep but info is out there to let you know how or if it can be done.

Wiring in EMG is beyond easy if you get it all. Plug and Play, Where you put the battery is the bigger question. Personally I'd keep the PG and would rather put in a toggle and push pull for them.

Edit- Or sell me the one that got away so I can do it! LOL

Thanks. I'll have to do a little more research. I'd rather just keep the 5-way, but a 3-way toggle with push/pulls on both the volume/tone might be easier. I'm not even sure I'm going to swap the pickups out at the moment, just thinking I'm not that crazy about the Duncans in there now.

Thanks. I'll have to do a little more research. I'd rather just keep the 5-way, but a 3-way toggle with push/pulls on both the volume/tone might be easier. I'm not even sure I'm going to swap the pickups out at the moment, just thinking I'm not that crazy about the Duncans in there now.

What is it you don't like with the PG? Different animal, but I've had them in a LP before and liked them.

Awesome wife!!!

The PG sound pretty good, I'm just always looking for something with a little more output and a little warmer (especially warmer in the bridge, and I tend to like brighter in the neck). Though, something is a little weird with how these are wired up.
The bridge sounds fine as a standard humbucker. The 2nd position I'm guessing is either one bridge coil split by itself or maybe with one of the neck coils together. The 3rd position seems like it's both humbuckers. 4th position sounds like it's the neck humbucker. The 5th position is definitely brighter, might be coil split or parallel, not sure what's going on. I'll have to tap it with a screwdriver and see if I can determine what coils are on, but I really have no clue about wiring, so might have to take it in to my local shop and see if he can figure it out for me.
I do have a DiMarzio Tone Zone and Duncan JB laying around I could maybe swap in, too.

The screw driver or such is a good place start. Or remove the finger torture rotary lol! It would pretty easy to open up and check make sure the wires are going to the proper spots too. I get it if soldering isn't for you but you can look and trace. Nothing wrong with taking to a tech and get it sorted. Its a pretty easy job for a pro.

• Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone
I wouldn't call the JB warm, but I do love a JB once it's set up right. Split is great too. I'm much more of a SD guy than DiMarzio not because they are better or worse, It's just what I know and have always used.

I probably won't do the JB, as I usually think it's overrated and hit or miss in certain guitars. I've got one in a G&L Legacy at the moment that sounds decent, though. I'm pretty sure whoever wired this up with the Duncans did not keep true to the PRS scheme. I used to love EMGs but haven't had any in awhile and was thinking about getting an 89 set for the coil splitting, but I'll probably hold off on that and just live with these PGs a little longer.

Good plan. Get the PG sorted and then go from there. It wouldn't surprise me. The wire scheme coloring is different between PRS and SD. Yes the JB needs to be dialed in down to the pole pieces. I also like it with 250k pots vs 500k of most HBs.

I'm in the camp of liking EMG but given the choice or main guitar I'd take a set of passives over active. Keeping with PRS and passive, I absolutely love my 59/09 and would like to try 57/08. The 85/15 are perfect in a CE to my ears. All that said, I'd get the PG wired right and dialed in first then go from there. Cheapest option of them all considering you already have a good set of pickups.

How would I go about installing a set of 89s with the rotary switch on my '97 CE-24? Or would I just be better off getting a 3-way toggle and using push/pull pots for the coil splitting?

I had original 81's & 85's in my ' 83(actually an '82)BC Rich Eagle and had to use EMG's phase switch. Not sure you can split which might require cover removal and void warranty.

I had original 81's & 85's in my ' 83(actually an '82)BC Rich Eagle and had to use EMG's phase switch. Not sure you can split which might require cover removal and void warranty.
The 89s are actually splittable, so I would go with those. They used to come with a mini toggle switch for splitting or push/pull pot. Right now, I'm scrapping the idea and have decided to stay passive in this guitar as I do like the Duncans in it.

Though, they do make an 81TW set that is now splittable, plus they have a 57TW and 66TW that also split.

Back