Elements of ME V to Core?

Skeeter

Total speculation thread! But hey, why not? Wondering if anyone thinks some elements of the ME V will filter down to a Core model?

I’m thinking elements of the electronics (more the pups, and switching options - not necessarily the 500k to 250k switch). They made a very specific design choice in placing the single coil pup in an unusual, but helpful position. Plus that single coil pickup itself doesn’t seem to exist (or have existed) on any model that I can think of (save, maybe some iterations of the Swamp Ash Special?). Why not throw a 305 pup there? Or NF? Why create a new pickup just for a limited PS guitar?

Just seems like a lot of design effort into something with a very small marketplace. Of course, I imagine upholding the Modern Eagle lineage is important to the company. And the design and electronics may not a big deal for a PS team that turns out masterpieces daily. And obviously creating a single coil pup isn’t rocket science.

But seeing features that might make sense on the 509 or Paul’s Guitar makes me believe (or hope) that they might be integrated into those models, or that we may even see a slightly streamlined and stripped down version of the ME V, but with the same pickup setup and majority of switching options - hopefully the push/pull allowing all 3 pups.

Thoughts?

After some experimentation on my McCarty, I found the resistor mod in the neck pickup to be preferable with a rating of .75k ohm which seems just enough to fatten the sound without losing any of the high end sparkle.

The bridge I wired in an LC circuit with a 3.5k ohm resistor and a .1 microfarad capacitor activated when the coil is split so the second coil acts as a filter while the main coil does the majority of the output. This made the thinner split sound thicker while still having quite a bit of top-end clarity as the capacitor sends the ultra-low end to ground. And that means the hum frequency amplitude has been reduced by some small degree (not that it was overbearing to start).

I have a strat with a push pull and it'll be the next experiment to see what effect putting resistors in parallel with the volume pot does and which values I find pleasing.

Well they made the PS Super Eagle for John Mayer then made the Special Semi Hollow so there is hope if the PS version is well received

It's standard operating procedure for PRS to introduce new features on high-end and/or limited release guitars, then filter them into the production models. Now which features might become standard is anybody's guess.

I think the 250k pot switch won't work favorably for mahogany bodies and mahogany/rosewood necks with a set neck joint, which are already warm.

Back