Electronic upgrade blues

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
All of our consumer devices are becoming more and more connected and more and more interdependent.

Change one thing and get ready for the cascade. I had an iPhone 4, my sweetie had my old iPhone 3G. The 3G had been dropped a couple of times and the case was starting to separate a bit near the slot for the sim card. The result is that every now and then, the iPhone would forget that it was a phone and display a message "no sim card" - which also meant no calls made or received.

Not having access to a cell phone represents a potential safety and security issue for my sweetie, so I decided it was time to upgrade.I would get a new iPhone 5 and she could change to my almost pristine iPhone 4. I'm not buying a new phone because it is new - it is a necessity. But I am also not going to buy old technology - even though iPhones 4 and 4S are still available new from Apple.

New Years' Day found us in the AT&T store making the purchase and switch. Everything went fine in the store. The only minor hitch is the iPhone 5 uses a new, smaller connector to charge and sync and I have the old cables everywhere - the office, the cars, home, the farm, in the 'go' bags for travel.... I bought cables and adapters, no problem.

Her new-to-her iPhone 4 synced easily and perfectly to her newer iMac at home. My iPhone 5 was a different story. My work mac where I do all my email and maintain my music and photo library was running older versions of both iTunes and the Mac OS. To sync my iPhone 5, I would need to first upgrade the OS and then iTunes since the version of iTunes I needed would not work with the OS I had.

I needed iTunes 10.7 and that meant I also had to upgrade to OS 10.6.8. I ordered the DVD from Apple for the OS update and waited. On Monday (2 days ago) I installed the OS update. Then I installed online updates to get to 10.6.8. I updated iTunes to 11.0.1. That put me at the latest iTunes and the 3rd latest OS (10.7 and 10.8 have been released after 10.6).

I synced my iPhone and everything seems fine.

But, I know from past experience that when you 'update' things, things break. The first thing that broke was access to my network printer. It turns out that Apple no longer supports network printers in favor of direct connect and wifi printers. To get the printer working again I had to connect it directly, reconfigure it for the new OS, cycle the router and then reconnect it via the network. That is a short sentence, but finding the solution and actually getting it working took a full day.

As I go through my applications over the next month or so, I'll see what else is broken...

So - as everything gets more and more interconnected, I ask, is this a good thing?

Last edited:
You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch.

For what it's worth, one of the brothers who directed the Matrix has undergone a sex-change operation, so in the future I think they'll have to change the name of the credits. Laurence Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski.
Additionally, the entire concept of "The Matrix" was ripped off of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" which predates the movie by at least 15 years.
I don't know why I found it necessary to post this information, but perhaps those who are setting the parameters of my Matrix experience understand the reasons.

The "New Improved" Lana:

Last edited:
It was supposed to be a joke. I'm sorry that it offended you. Because I respect you, I retract it completely and ask that you also delete it from your quote above.

It was supposed to be a joke. I'm sorry that it offended you. Because I respect you, I retract it completely and ask that you also delete it from your quote above.

I waited around just to make sure you understood I was playing around too. I didn't want to make you sweat too much!

I am totally digging the dyed mop for a hairpiece, and want a date as soon as possible.

OK...here ya go....

either October 8th, 1955,

or

1142.jpg

Your choice, Les.

I'm a little anti-Apple products, my partner being a graphic designer has a Mac (a 8 year old MacBook pro) and my directors run iPhones so I get a little bit of exposure to the horrors of the infinite wisdom of Mac. I too had similar problems, I bought a newer iPod (as bad as everything else is, iPods and iTunes are still King and Queen of the cruddy music format world), and plugged it into the older MacBook pro. Nope, wasn't compatible with that version of iTunes, went to download to latest one, nope wasn't compatible with that version of OS. Being the stubborn guy I am, I found out there was actually a version on iTunes that worked with both her OS and my iPod. Found it on the net in a non-Mac archive and installed it. Hey presto a working iPod.... take that Mac!

I had reported that I had fixed the printer problem - today it is broken again....

And it doesn't matter what platform you are using - 'upgrade' any software - especially OS software - and things will break.

I had reported that I had fixed the printer problem - today it is broken again....

And it doesn't matter what platform you are using - 'upgrade' any software - especially OS software - and things will break.

Seriously check out that movie I posted and see what one man had to do in order to get his printer to work. I spanked my toaster and spit on my microwave after watching it!

Seriously check out that movie I posted and see what one man had to do in order to get his printer to work. I spanked my toaster and spit on my microwave after watching it!

Good thing you did it in that order - spitting on a toaster can lead to life altering consequences...

Update - I posted an inquiry on an Apple-supported help page. I have had 3 people who want to argue with me that Apple still supports network printers even after I told them an Apple help technician told me that Apple does not.

can be made to work - does not equal - supported.

It just goes to show that everything on the internet is absolutely true - and I'm a French model!

For what it's worth, one of the brothers who directed the Matrix has undergone a sex-change operation, so in the future I think they'll have to change the name of the credits. Laurence Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski.
Additionally, the entire concept of "The Matrix" was ripped off of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" which predates the movie by at least 15 years.
I don't know why I found it necessary to post this information, but perhaps those who are setting the parameters of my Matrix experience understand the reasons.

Once again, the oficial PRS Forum proved that it's a great source of useful information. I've come across Lana (not in that way, pervert) and only said to myself: "Mmmm... I thought they were brothers, not a couple..."

It just goes to show that everything on the internet is absolutely true - and I'm a French model!

This is confusing. You ARE a french model, right? I can remember I have never seen you on fashion magazine covers, which (considering you're also a ninja) is kinda a proof of that...

Back