Electric Cars

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
I think a bigger change than EVs will be self-driving.

That's another head scratcher for me... at what point is an insurance company going to deny paying for damage... even death, because the driver was letting the car drive itself. I'm all about technology but this one makes me wonder if there is any common sense at all in some of these companies, or it it's all just "look what we can do." Trust me... there will be MASSIVE law suits when these things mess up, and THEY WILL mess up. (Edit: They already have!)

And again, I'm onboard with technology, environment, etc., but when people talk about "infrastructure" for electric vehicles, how do you compensate for the fact that if I'm traveling and pull up for gas, I've got a full tank and 400+ more miles of driving range in less than 5 minutes... vs. 1 hour for a change that gets you another 25 miles, or overnight for a "full" charge that gets you what.... 200 miles? 250?

And think about what this "infrastructure" really means, and how it compares to what we have now. I got gas at UDF yesterday, a large one that had 14 pumps. 7 stations with pumps on each side. Pull in, fill up, pull out, less than 3 minutes. When I pulled up, there was only one pump open. So, how do "service stations" work if you're trying to recharge? You pull in and tie up an "outlet" for 5 minutes it isn't even enough to drive out. 1 hour at that place, gets you 25 miles... so "home from work" for me. But if every person that pulls up needs an hour or more's worth of charge, the whole dynamics of the thing need to change. To move the amount of cars that can say get fueled and out in one hour at a gas station, you'd need an area the size of 2 football fields, with hundreds of hookups. No "convenience stores" which have all of their items, plus gas, on a 1/4 acre commercial lot. Your talking ACRES of ground to provide plugs for lots of cars and what are all those people supposed to do while they wait for juice?

Unless things change dramatically and quickly, electric only vehicles are basically "charge overnight at home, and don't go further than your charge allows before getting back home." For commuting to work and things like that, it works. But even buying one of those commits to one vehicle you can not travel in at all. And a vehicle you can't pull a boat, camper or any kind of trailer with.

So I'm much more in agreement with those that say we need to move way more that direction, but both need to co-exist. This "all electric by 2035" stuff is a bong dream. As of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't for a minute believe that there is such a thing as a "green "economy" or a "green future". EV's are not in the slightest way really environmentally friendly if you break them down into their from the ground up build processes. Mining, smelting of metals, silicate product production, forging of metal gears, even seat belts and passive restraints require petroleum production to manufacture. Semi conductors (we all know what a mess that is right now) and circuit boards for the electronic brains of the vehicles, and the miles and miles of copper wire in the electrical harnesses.

True but traditional cars are constructed with same semiconductors and plastics but creating no emission

Come on, you can't be serious! By 2035, I will be commuting in my nuclear fission powered jet pack!! Didn't you ever watch the Jetsons? The future is here, it just needs to be built with a new bill approved by congress!!!

On my other shoulder the more serious voice says:
1. Electric is a good start, but so many factors both in production, fuel disposal, refueling and more point to it being a dead end in my long term view (a fad if you will).
2. Hydrogen fuel cells are interesting and their future may be just as bright or brighter than electric!
3. Magnetic's are intriguing to me and will play a much larger role in our future than I think we realize!
4. We will only be as green as the multinationals deem appropriate. They run the world and decide what we will get next. You can Greta Thuberg till you are green in the face, but it will not change who is in charge and therefore decides our future.
5. Teleportation has been my preferred travel choice for many years and is molecularly friendly!

I'm feeling verklempt, talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic - ions!

Come on, you can't be serious! By 2035, I will be commuting in my nuclear fission powered jet pack!! Didn't you ever watch the Jetsons? The future is here, it just needs to be built with a new bill approved by congress!!!

1. Electric is a good start, but so many factors both in production, fuel disposal, refueling and more point to it being a dead end in my long term view (a fad if you will).
2. Hydrogen fuel cells are interesting and their future may be just as bright or brighter than electric!
3. Magnetic's are intriguing to me and will play a much larger role in our future than I think we realize!
4. We will only be as green as the multinationals deem appropriate. They run the world and decide what we will get next. You can Greta Thuberg till you are green in the face, but it will not change who is in charge and therefore decides our future.
5. Teleportation has been my preferred travel choice for many years and is molecularly friendly!

Edit: this is US at "Experience 2022" after visiting Boogie's conversion van.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless things change dramatically and quickly, electric only vehicles are basically "charge overnight at home, and don't go further than your charge allows before getting back home." For commuting to work and things like that, it works. But even buying one of those commits to one vehicle you can not travel in at all. And a vehicle you can't pull a boat, camper or any kind of trailer with.

So I'm much more in agreement with those that say we need to move way more that direction, but both need to co-exist. This "all electric by 2035" stuff is a bong dream. As of now.

My guess is that "all electric" is going to be market spin, mainly meaning that hybrids will count in the all electric column. Or, put more simply, "all electric" will mean all cars have an electric motor. but some will have other propulsion as well. I think you'll see a bigger move towards systems that can generate their own charge, like some do w/the braking systems today.

The biggest thing is that there will start to be a huge infrastructure shift with bigger, better, and as you point out, faster charging stations. As someone pointed out, over a hundred years ago when the Model T started rolling off the lines, there weren't gas stations every block. That took time to build up, and this will, too.

I’m not too worried about range. When I considered a Tesla, I thought a bit about our camping trips. We drive about 225 miles each way, with a good 50 or so miles to visit places once we’re there. If I had one of today’s EVs, it wouldn’t work well for the cargo space I need or the range.

If I’d gone that way, I’d have ended up renting a van for the 4-5 camping trips we take each year.

It's not often Wily gets Yiddish on us, you better listen to him.

I said "cars", not all "human activities".

Either way, the planet is fine.
If you don't believe me, look down.
You're standing on it.

Splitting hairs isn't going to change things, your statement could have been more thorough, not just cherry pick cars, and look at the big picture.

As for doing fine, you telling that to a fisherman who's been on the water for 5 decades and has witnessed the depletion of that resource dwindle right in front of his eyes, that things are just fine simply doesn't fly.

.... and look out the window, the sky is falling, I saw it earlier today.:D

My guess is that "all electric" is going to be market spin, mainly meaning that hybrids will count in the all electric column. Or, put more simply, "all electric" will mean all cars have an electric motor. but some will have other propulsion as well. I think you'll see a bigger move towards systems that can generate their own charge, like some do w/the braking systems today.

The biggest thing is that there will start to be a huge infrastructure shift with bigger, better, and as you point out, faster charging stations. As someone pointed out, over a hundred years ago when the Model T started rolling off the lines, there weren't gas stations every block. That took time to build up, and this will, too.
Are you OK Alan? I did not see a single joke in that reply!! I hope you are feeling well!!!

We are living in the greatest muscle car era of all time. These automobiles will be the last of their kind.

I say get one (with a manual transmission) while you can.

2021-dodge-challenger-vlp-gallery-4-es.jpg.image.2880.jpg

I think a bigger change than EVs will be self-driving. They may coincide and be seen as one in the same, but they're different. Self-drive leads to all sorts of possible changes. Some good, some bad, but full of possibilities. The idea of sending the car to pick the kid up from practice is neat--the idea of it bringing some other kid home isn't. I'm sure biometrics will take care of that. Fractional car ownership leading to homes without garages as we know them... that sort of stuff will be interesting.

I don't know that I'd ever want to just subscribe to a car service, but people in a younger generation? They might. Especially if they can exchange some degree of unplanned mobility for lower expenses.

It's gonna be a pretty awesome future, whatever it is. I do believe that I won't have to change much unless I want to, which is what takes the concern out of it all for me.

Agreed. I love the sound of a tuned engine and the feel of being one with the car, but at this point of my life self-driving is coming along at the perfect time. What I've missed is one of those flying cars that Popular Mechanics touted back decades ago.

Back