Elbow pain

gioforce76

Bartender to the stars
weird thing has happened over the last few months . I use my kotzen tele a lot and the next day my elbow is fine . However when I use my custom 22 my elbow the next is in a lot of pain. Anyone else every have this happen to them ? It’s just a very strange thing.

Reminds me of this......

Jokes aside, sounds to me like strap length and the pressure it puts upon your shoulder. Out of curiosity, is the elbow in question associated with your picking or fretting hand?

Gio,

Are you tucking in the elbow as you move up the neck, or angling outwards? Any significant variation from your Tele might be the clue...also the angle of the wrist grip might be a factor, if perhaps you experience pain regularly.

FTR, whenever I practice guitar myself for more than 30 to 40 minutes at a time, my right strumming or picking hand will hurt the next 2 days following...my understanding is that the muscles are generally weaker when you don't practice as often, and will strengthen with more regular practice and exercise, just like any other form of exercise, typically once the pain has subsided and you don't feel any strain when you practice.

When you feel strain, then it's time to stop, allow a few days to heal, and then back at it for more strengthening.

Does it happen when you play standing? I have an issue with my right shoulder, I had to go to a smaller body acoustic than a dreadnought I had, But also, I almost always play standing now and it is significantly better.

Of course, you are talking about fretting hand and I'm talking about the strumming hand. But you might want to see if standing gives you more freedom of movement in your left hand/arm and helps with the discomfort.

My wife and I had a baby 3 months ago and I noticed I hold her with my left arm all the time I think the pain in my elbow and arm at times might be because of the way I hold the baby. I not used to hold 7 pounds in that position for that long . so if that's the case its worth the discomfort for now. For some reason I just can't switch to the right arm and hold her the same way.

What’s the neck carve on the two guitars? I tend to grip differently on a WT neck than I do a Pattern, DGT, or WF, which can exercise a different set of muscles, tendons, and ligaments. That can make my left arm fatigue sooner, depending on the style of music I’m playing.

My wife and I had a baby 3 months ago and I noticed I hold her with my left arm all the time I think the pain in my elbow and arm at times might be because of the way I hold the baby. I not used to hold 7 pounds in that position for that long . so if that's the case its worth the discomfort for now. For some reason I just can't switch to the right arm and hold her the same way.

This could definitely explain it! Congratulations on your new family member!

the b
What’s the neck carve on the two guitars? I tend to grip differently on a WT neck than I do a Pattern, DGT, or WF, which can exercise a different set of muscles, tendons, and ligaments. That can make my left arm fatigue sooner, depending on the style of music I’m playing.
neck on the custom 22 is wide fat and the Kotzen tele is a large C shape after playing the Kotzen tele it makes the custom 22 feel like its a wide thin neck.

It’s my fretting hand and im usually sitting down . I try to sit the same way .

Seated. Ok, but which knee are you resting the guitar on? Most players (Right handed) use the right knee, which is fine for playing down the bottom end. If you are reaching upstairs to 12th fret & above from here, that could cause some discomfort, because you sort of contort yourself doing so.

For this reason I use the guitar on my left knee. It takes a little getting used to, but you should find it a less awkward playing position if you use the full length of the board.

Seated. Ok, but which knee are you resting the guitar on? Most players (Right handed) use the right knee, which is fine for playing down the bottom end. If you are reaching upstairs to 12th fret & above from here, that could cause some discomfort, because you sort of contort yourself doing so.

For this reason I use the guitar on my left knee. It takes a little getting used to, but you should find it a less awkward playing position if you use the full length of the board.
Most of the time the left knee , I played classical guitar in college so I kind of got used to using the left knee.

Back