Votes: 11 61.1%
  • KT77

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 6CA7

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm simply terrible with names. I didn't remember Erlewine was in that band until I read it somewhere. I was a bit younger, and looked up to them, and the guys in Commander Cody, etc.

I felt a little awkward, like I was pretending to actually be on their level, even with the guys in my bands, who were older and more experienced musicians than me. In fact, I still feel a sense of 'how am I getting away with being a musician when I know nothing'!
Better to be worthy and not think yourself so than the other way around.

Just installed the Matched Mullard 12 ax7 / Genlax Gold Lion KT77's in my . Paisley has TAD's before , with red bases EL34's .

Impressions : Well the reports are true , these puppies are much crisper , of course they haven't broken in yet . Still has plenty of gain , but much more of a snarl than a deep woof. Just a slight nudge on the bias adjustent , Overall , a bit tighter overall sound with more clarity up top. Reminds me more of a 50W Grissom now which is Mega as it matches the other amp much better now .

A worthwhile experiment , and one big answer to the "Mystery microphonic" I was hearing , turns out that one of the foot screws on the transformer had backed out and was loose in the chassis , of course it's the one closest to the front panel and a major PITA to get to without removing the chassis , no problem .. stored it away for safe keeping . No more noise of that kind :) Next change I may pull the chassis out and reinsert . Having built 10,000 chassis of this nature in my early days I know it's fine until then . Rock solid
A very cool and interesting report!

I found I liked the HXDA even better than when the amp was new when I put NOS Mullards in the preamp, and NOS Siemens EL34s (probably made by RFT) in the power section. Tightened up the bottom (my amp came with Winged C EL34s, they were still in production at the time), and I liked the top end better.

Back