EG 1991 employees built or custom color?

ultras

3650a1bb2745.jpg
88d20a7b7b65.jpg
Hello. I would like to get more information about my guitar. I have a PRS EG 1991 , but the color of the guitaris not standard. I saw only one guitar in this color, it is located in the UK. Question: this is a custom coloror is it a limited edition or something else, for example, an employee PRS has built himself ? the previous owner claims that it is the employee PRS built himself .

Last edited:
I don't have any insight into what the story is on your guitar, but the color and pickup configuration are very cool.

Can you post a picture of the back of the headstock and back of where the neck meets the body? That might give us some clues. Would there be anything in the pickup cavity too?

But Employee-build/spec guitars do happen often enough (I mean, why wouldn't they?!), so it would not be out of this world to believe it was a customized factory color.

And see the image here of a PRS EG:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/idiotbox919/pictures/gear/629857/

That seems to be a similar/same color. So maybe it was available, but not part of the standard color charts that year.

Can you post a picture of the back of the headstock and back of where the neck meets the body? That might give us some clues. Would there be anything in the pickup cavity too?

But Employee-build/spec guitars do happen often enough (I mean, why wouldn't they?!), so it would not be out of this world to believe it was a customized factory color.

And see the image here of a PRS EG:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/idiotbox919/pictures/gear/629857/

That seems to be a similar/same color. So maybe it was available, but not part of the standard color charts that year.
http://s020.radikal.ru/i700/1501/f5/2b089f89ecce.jpg
http://s018.radikal.ru/i501/1501/c6/e2916bb44212.jpg
http://i072.radikal.ru/1501/f5/a3a67275606f.jpg

I saw this guitar, it is in the UK.
My guitar last collected in 1991.
It has a serial number 151289.
The serial number of his guitars 050164.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rULiSTXbtRM
http://s018.radikal.ru/i509/1501/cb/dc5d9413daa2.jpg

First version: He bought this guitar in the employee PRS who made it for myself
Second version: this guitar was built for him.
These two versions are quite popular on the local music forums

Last edited:
I don't know about that one but I've seen that color on an EG before. It is rare, but not one-off-employee rare.

Can't help you on the name of the color unfortunately. Really nice looking though!

There was an EG for sale here in Colorado that was that color. Different pick guard though.

These are cool guitars, I dig 'em.

I think it's just a modified EGIII personally, doubtfully done by PRS himself. The pick guard material wasn't popular or consistent with that time period, or with what PRS would've had lying around, and the humbucker route looks a little too contouring and less squarish in the edges. The knobs aren't what normally came with these guitars and the parallel pickup orientation on the single coils isn't continuous with what they were doing at the time, let alone the pickup choices... I don't know what circumstances would have had to occur for PRS to select an Ibanez pickup in the middle position when there must've been a pile of Seymour Duncan pickups available that the company already paid for.

Here's a picture I Googled that shows what this guitar may have originally looked like:

An employee may have bought it and worked on it at work, and there's a big maybe that Paul would've done it (even though these early EG's were more of a Joe Knaggs thing) but I feel like it is equally as probable that the previous seller was an inventive storyteller.

Bangin'! guitar. I want it.

Last edited:
These are cool guitars, I dig 'em.

I think it's just a modified EGIII personally, doubtfully done by PRS himself. The pick guard material wasn't popular or consistent with that time period, or with what PRS would've had lying around, and the humbucker route looks a little too contouring and less squarish in the edges. The knobs aren't what normally came with these guitars and the parallel pickup orientation on the single coils isn't continuous with what they were doing at the time, let alone the pickup choices... I don't know what circumstances would have had to occur for PRS to select an Ibanez pickup in the middle position when there must've been a pile of Seymour Duncan pickups available that the company already paid for.

Here's a picture I Googled that shows what this guitar may have originally looked like:

An employee may have bought it and worked on it at work, and there's a big maybe that Paul would've done it (even though these early EG's were more of a Joe Knaggs thing) but I feel like it is equally as probable that the previous seller was an inventive storyteller.

Bangin'! guitar. I want it.

Now the guitar hasa custom Pick guard, previouslyit was set at the white standard Pick guard HSS and pearl white Pick guard HSH. Before the pickups were the original PRS, now I only have DragonTreble. This guitar pictures and videos, link to the previous message. This guitar was bought by a private guitardealer at the first (second) owner for the purpose of resale. From the very beginning were installed locking pins.
Photo from catalog a different color, though similar, I think/

Last edited:
Nah it looks way different in the photos but thats the same color. Its pearl so it looks drastically different depending on the light source you photograph it under.

for example, an employee PRS has built himself ? the previous owner claims that it is the employee PRS built himself.

I think it's just a modified EGIII personally, doubtfully done by PRS himself.

I think there is a language barrier issue there Sergio. (The OP has links to .ru domains.)

I think the OP is saying he is being told the guitar was built by the PRS Employee himself, not by PRSh. I too doubt PRSh was involved with this in any way.

And yeah, it just looks like someone replaced the whole pick guard sub-assembly with a customized configuration.

So not even an Employee-build, just a modified "Off-the-shelf" guitar, albeit an uncommon model.

I think there is a language barrier issue there Sergio. (The OP has links to .ru domains.)

I think the OP is saying he is being told the guitar was built by the PRS Employee himself, not by PRSh. I too doubt PRSh was involved with this in any way.

And yeah, it just looks like someone replaced the whole pick guard sub-assembly with a customized configuration.

So not even an Employee-build, just a modified "Off-the-shelf" guitar, albeit an uncommon model.
My english is bad.
You are right.
I meant that this guitar was made for one of the employees, that worked at the factory, and not personally Paul Smith.

"PRS staff have the opportunity after one or two years and then again after seven years with the company to request an employee guitar, specially made for them and supplied more or less at cost." (Dave Burrluck. The PRS Guitar Book, p. 84).

My english is bad.
You are right.
I meant that this guitar was made for one of the employees, that worked at the factory, and not personally Paul Smith.

"PRS staff have the opportunity after one or two years and then again after seven years with the company to request an employee guitar, specially made for them and supplied more or less at cost." (Dave Burrluck. The PRS Guitar Book, p. 84).

Oh, okay.. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Employee guitars from this time period are kind of mysterious as they didn't adopt the current method of marking them as such. Is there any writing in the pickup cavities under the pick guard?

[QUOTE = sergiodeblanc; 184362] О, хорошо .. Я извиняюсь, я неправильно понял. Сотрудник гитары с этого периода времени являются своего рода загадочным, как они не принимают нынешний метод маркировки их как таковые. Есть ли письмо в пикап полостей под Pick гвардия? [/ QUOTE]

I think the space under the pickup was changed to install pickups (HSH). Cut a cavity under a separate humbuckers, and to install any configuration singles and humbuckers.

This guitar came in the early 90's, and I think even if there was some kind of record, it could not be overlooked as the most famous owner of this guitar was and is an active musician, and not a collector. In 91,92 year no one knew about this company in the Soviet Union (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus), most likely it was one of the first guitars of this brand that brought. There is an opinion that the employee who did it himself came to the United States from the Soviet Union and was friends with the musician Vladimir Tkachenko, video and photo I posted earlier in this thread. Many believe that this guitar is a real Custom Shop master built like a fender), because its specification is somewhat non-standard, unusual color, plus all the sound.

I bought a similar guitar around 1990. The color was called Burgundy Mist. I love the color, anyone who knows guitars is surprised when they see it because it's definitely a PRS by body contours, but so different by other accounts - especially the switching! When I was looking to buy the guitar, I called a dealer who was in a relatively "out-of-the-way" location, and I asked if they had an EG guitar with S-S-H p/up config. He had two - one in a color called burgundy mist, which he had a hard time describing; the other was called "seafoam mist" which he described as kind of like the bottom of a swimming pool, only a little greener. I don't know how many were made in this color, but I feel lucky because it is very unique. The pick guard in the one shown is definitely unique, maybe not original - hard to say. I wish I could get an explanation of the knob configuration - one volume and two tones! The two tone knobs have very subtle differences, but I've never been able to figure out what the intent was. And - horrors...I replaced the Lindy Fralin bridge p/up with a Seymour Duncan P-Rail because, while I loved the bridge lead tone, I always wished it had a bit more strat-like tone as well. I can't say I love the change more, but the P-90/middle combination is really nice, but the humbucker setting just doesn't have enough meat - or as Greg Koch would say, "gristle". Will probably always be my #1 go-to guitar.

That is the lighter of the Burgundy Mist EG's. I have the same color. I worked at the the Virginia Ave shop, before they moved to stevenville factory, from 92-93 (unfortunately only about 8 Months) Yes we could build a employee guitar at 1 year... did not make it that long, probably the best as I was just out of high school, and in college full time, and trying to work full time. Ended up getting myself sick. I also got mine my junior year in high school 92, from an employee of the shop. Though he did not work there when I came to the shop. I do remember he had a bright red VW beetle with zebra striped interior. I had loaned it to a friend of mine from Jimmies Chicken Shack, when they were playing an outdoor show, and it got knocked over, and ended up with stress fractures in the neck pocket. Thankfully I was still at the shop when it happened and Joe Knaggs was kind enough to fix the neck pocket for me. I asked the paint shop to repaint in the same color, and they said NO WAY!!! Apparently the color was super hard to get the finish to not show any sanding marks! The Later EG's that came out with the Burgundy Mist, were darker. Still miss that job, but it was a dream come true to even be in the shop for the 8 months I was there.

I have a photo of mine but cant figure how to upload it.

Back