Ebony Tuning Pegs

As promised a updated picture of the Chris Robertson SE.

Custom Ebony & MOP Eagle Truss Rod Cover
PRS Core Nut
Ivory Switch Tip
Core Ivory Pickup Surround
Wilkinson EZ-Lok Tuners
PRS Adjustable Stoptail
John Mann Brass Satin Stoptail Studs
“Core” Amber Lampshade Knobs
CTS Pots
Spraque PIO .022 Capacitor

Close up of the tuners

These are made from 2 sets of Wilkinson WJ-01 EZ-Lok Tuners. The EZ-Lok system uses 2 sets of holes drilled in the shaft are right angles to each other, you feed through the top holes first then back through the lower ones locking the string and tune to pitch.

Looks great!

Nice work, clever idea modding the Wilko tuners. I presume a set of chrome and a set of gold?

Yeah one set of each. The spares are going on a guitar that my owns that already has reverse hybrid (gold bridge silver saddles). Like I said above though at half the price of gotohs its good to have the spares (especially when you have a collection like mine). I'm probably gonna get 2 more sets and redo the Santana to match the hybrid bridge I have coming for it, the ebony tuners off the Santana will probably end up on my SE Nick Catanese (werewolf artwork).

My modded TRC's on my core models

2001 Standard (translucent Purple) Ebony & MOP TRC

2006 CE-24 Mahogany Ebony & MOP TRC & Bone Machine Heads

2015 Black Gold Wrap McCarty Rosewood TRC & Machine Heads

Last edited:
A while back I was looking for an alternative to the gold buttons on my P22 with rosewood neck.
Snakewood, or ebony?

Snakewood...

Ebony...

I think ebony won.

I’m gonna go all Les on this one:

“Well, when I was harpsichordist for the court of Henry VIII....”

I digress!

Snakewood from the back and Ebony from the front.

But my opinion doesn’t matter, as long as you’re happy.

OK it’s not a great impression, but it’s a work in progress!;)

Yeah one set of each. The spares are going on a guitar that my owns that already has reverse hybrid (gold bridge silver saddles). Like I said above though at half the price of gotohs its good to have the spares (especially when you have a collection like mine). I'm probably gonna get 2 more sets and redo the Santana to match the hybrid bridge I have coming for it, the ebony tuners off the Santana will probably end up on my SE Nick Catanese (werewolf artwork).

My modded TRC's on my core models

2001 Standard (translucent Purple) Ebony & MOP TRC

2006 CE-24 Mahogany Ebony & MOP TRC & Bone Machine Heads

2015 Black Gold Wrap McCarty Rosewood TRC & Machine Heads

Must admit I like the Gotohs, nice and smooth, well finished. Pricey though to do this mod.

We bought my Pops-in-law a set of Wilkos to go on a guitar of his and I must say I’m impressed.

You’ve made some really nice mods. You’ve given me some things to think about. Thanks:D

Must admit I like the Gotohs, nice and smooth, well finished. Pricey though to do this mod.

We bought my Pops-in-law a set of Wilkos to go on a guitar of his and I must say I’m impressed.

You’ve made some really nice mods. You’ve given me some things to think about. Thanks:D

Cheers mate I really like the way it came out, it may be
a swear word but you should out my modded gretsch's.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157632741036277/with/43088992571/

Last edited:
When swapping a metal button for a wood or plastic button, do you notice that the drop in weight changes the tone at all? Do the strings vibrate and ring more freely? Does the difference in weight even make the guitar feel better? I started another thread about this because David Grissom swears the faux bone tuner buttons on the DGT made a big difference for him so wondering before I make the mod. $50 is cheap for a mod, just trying to keep guitars that I paid $3k+ for as stock as possible lol.

When swapping a metal button for a wood or plastic button, do you notice that the drop in weight changes the tone at all? Do the strings vibrate and ring more freely? Does the difference in weight even make the guitar feel better? I started another thread about this because David Grissom swears the faux bone tuner buttons on the DGT made a big difference for him so wondering before I make the mod. $50 is cheap for a mod, just trying to keep guitars that I paid $3k+ for as stock as possible lol.
Stock guitars are overrated, make it your own I say!
(Even better if you can reverse the mod if you ever decide to sell, if that's something you might do)

I think the white looks pretty good. But, I would soak them in coffee for a couple of hours to make them a little darker. More antique white kind of thing. Love the tuner knobs.

Soaking in coffee???

Back