Ebony tuner knobs on tweaked Phase III tuners?

Guitarsan

"I floor it. That’s technical talk." SRV
Anyone else tried to put Phase III PRS ebony tuner buttons on the tweaked Phase III tuners? They slide further down the shaft, making the clearance with the headstock really tight. They're not touching, but man it's close and really doesn't look great. I'm pondering very small washers to push them back out a bit, but that would be a shame.

11D5E6CE-A480-4979-87D4-5EA705BABB43_zpsr2yqwbck.jpg

5B8518F4-B2F9-4653-A375-7A561BF7B4CF_zpsljpx40rl.jpg

Top and bottom E knobs turn? The top pic says yes, bottom says nope.

Top and bottom E knobs turn? The top pic says yes, bottom says nope.

Yes, they all turn. The angles are a bit deceiving in the photo, but you can see the top and bottom knobs are really close. (Look at the bottom right button on the top photo, top right button on the bottom photo for best angle.) Just too close for comfort and as I said, being this close makes the headstock look a bit weird. The shaft on the Phase III tweaked must be a bit shorter is all I can figure. Heading to the hardware store later to see if I can reach a better solution. Worse case I go back to the "normal" buttons, but love the ebony look.

Yes, they all turn. The angles are a bit deceiving in the photo, but you can see the top and bottom knobs are really close. (Look at the bottom right button on the top photo, top right button on the bottom photo for best angle.) Just too close for comfort and as I said, being this close makes the headstock look a bit weird. The shaft on the Phase III tweaked must be a bit shorter is all I can figure. Heading to the hardware store later to see if I can reach a better solution. Worse case I go back to the "normal" buttons, but love the ebony look.
Some black grommets may look better than washers?

Well, I gave up on the idea of using the ebony buttons. They just don't fit well on the tweaked Phase III tuners. Guess chrome will have to do!

Umm, aren't they supposed to not touch? The idea being the set screw (torqued in a jig at the factory i.e. don't touch it) takes the button out of the equation, allowing for less string damping? The gap adds some decoupling?

Umm, aren't they supposed to not touch? The idea being the set screw (torqued in a jig at the factory i.e. don't touch it) takes the button out of the equation, allowing for less string damping? The gap adds some decoupling?

Yeah, that's the second reason I took them off, realizing this very thing - adding anything to close the gap wouldn't look good and hinder tone possibly.

These very PRS ebony buttons worked fine on my Phase III Hollowbody II tuners, but not on these tweaked ones. They must be a bit smaller on the shaft. It's all good.

Back