Ebony Fretboard On A DGT....Thoughts?

studio66

Thinking of doing something a little different and maybe setting up a PS build on a DGT. Considering an Ebony fretboard and wondering if any has tried this?
My concern is that my current DGT leans to the bright side and Ebony may exaggerate that tonal DNA.
Any thoughts are appreciated....just looking to something a little different.

Ebony will attenuate the pick attack a bit less than rosewood, so it will seem brighter, but after the initial attack, not necessarily be brighter.

Rosewood tends to soak up a little more of the bright attack of a string, in my experience.

On the other hand, ebony tends to feel "fast" under your fingers, and it looks cool. So there's that. One thing you might consider is a RW neck in combination with the ebony board for something that might be a bit warmer sounding.

Incidentally, I have no preference between ebony and rosewood fingerboards; I like what both woods do. So I play both.

Ebony is smooth :) and I am a big fan on Gibsons
They was a CU22 I was looking at that had an Ebony board it was just sweet looking.
Do you need to go private stock to get an ebony board on a DTG

I like Ebony/Maple neck. I'd be really excited by the Floyd 24 if the head stock didn't have a veneer. I just love the look of maple.

Thanks guys!!!
I appreciate the comments and insights....just playing with the idea....PS or Artist pkg.
Just a little concerned the ebony would add to the spice/sizzle that the DGT is famous for where maybe the rosewood in the original formula is there to keep it in check...as usual I'm just probably over thinking it :)
Thanks again!

Ebony FB & Rosewood neck = AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC_8962.jpg

DSC_8970.jpg

DSC_8974.jpg

Ebony will attenuate the pick attack a bit less than rosewood, so it will seem brighter, but after the initial attack, not necessarily be brighter.

Rosewood tends to soak up a little more of the bright attack of a string, in my experience.

On the other hand, ebony tends to feel "fast" under your fingers, and it looks cool. So there's that. One thing you might consider is a RW neck in combination with the ebony board for something that might be a bit warmer sounding.

Incidentally, I have no preference between ebony and rosewood fingerboards; I like what both woods do. So I play both.

What a great answer to my question....Thanks!!!

Damn Whitey, I do love that gtr! It was killing me when Brian 1st got it. Glad you grabbed it before I sold a kidney or something to get it.

Back