Ebony and Rosewood necks---nothing else like it

Strictly from a visual, aesthetic perspective, I prefer ebony fret boards. As much as I love figured wood, I think some PS builds are too busy, and certain wood combinations visually clash. I like the way ebony lets a great top be the center of attraction, and nothing allows cool FB inlays to stand out like a jet black ebony board.

Totally agree. My last two custom orders (likely the last I will ever do) featured ebony boards with minimal inlays specifically to highlight exceptional woods on the top.

This one was quite busy, but I do miss it (too heavy for my bad back)

image.jpg

Sold to fund my PS build - Braz neck and board (has purfling on it)
48_CEF1_D0-5_FB9-4_BA3-_BB2_D-642_AC3_CA1527.jpg

I also love ebony fretboards. However, recently I came across a ziricote neck/fretboard on a private stock and it is very, very nice.

Thanks for the responses. I am specifically talking about the somewhat rare rosewood necks with ebony fretboards. The ebony adds a top end to the rosewood and an immediacy to the attack.

Plus, the playing feel is sublime. Nothing like it. I gig these 2 frequently and they sound tremendous thru my old Matchless.
I concur, I ordered my 513 AP with solid IRW neck and ebony board after I had a CU22 with an ebony board and I liked the snap I got
compared to my regular CU22, now my 513 satisfies me with feel and sound and a great contrast to my Ted DC 245 that I love for different reasons.

Big fan of Ebony boards, and also of Rosewood necks. However, I do not have one with that combination.I have had ebony/maple, and really liked that combo.

I think an ebony board works well on any neck.
I also really like African Blackwood fingerboards - maybe slightly slower to sing than ebony, but nice harmonics through the full 4 octave range.

Wait, are you saying that African Blackwood is not the same as ebony? :confused:

Back