Ebony and Rosewood necks---nothing else like it

shallbe

I love ebony fretboards in general, but especially on PRS guitars. I was lucky to grab this 2008 CU22AP from John Mann many years ago that also had a rosewood neck.

That is when I discovered nothing does the "rings like a piano" thing like a rosewood neck/ebony board guitar. You can feel it in your fret hand and feel it against your body. Amplified, it has clear low end, nice midrange and wonderful clarity. I liked the guitar so much I wanted something similar with a trem and found this one-off DGT. Both of these guitars REALLY ring and have such a sweet and beautiful top end.

Some people have commented the DGT neck pickup can be woofy or bassy. Mine is not that way at all---sweet, clear and open sounding. The CU22 has been modded a bit with a Schroeder adjustable bridge and old PRS Artist pickups (alnico 4 magnets!). It sounds like a glorious cross between a humbucker and a P-90 guitar. Just an amazing instrument.

Another plus---these necks do not move. I play 11-52 strings and live in a very humid environment. I never have to adjust the truss rod.

I could not agree more, ever since I first played (and immediately bought) a McCarty with a rosewood neck, other neck woods have been a deal-breaker for me!

I lucked into a Private Stock with a rosewood neck, but it's the Modern Eagle that is my current all time fave to play, that neck is just magic.

While I don't have anything with a rosewood neck, both my WL DGT and SE Angelus have ebony fretboards. I love the feel and tone of ebony. My DGT has a flamed maple neck and I don't have the "woofy or bassy" neck pickup tone either.

Thanks for the responses. I am specifically talking about the somewhat rare rosewood necks with ebony fretboards. The ebony adds a top end to the rosewood and an immediacy to the attack.

Plus, the playing feel is sublime. Nothing like it. I gig these 2 frequently and they sound tremendous thru my old Matchless.

Now that’s one combo I haven’t tried yet!

I think an ebony board works well on any neck.
I also really like African Blackwood fingerboards - maybe slightly slower to sing than ebony, but nice harmonics through the full 4 octave range.
Agree on the African Blackwood - best of both worlds!

That’s interesting. I love ebony fretboards, and will choose them on just about anything, if possible.

But, I haven’t managed to get one that also has a RW neck. Most RW necks I find are from WL runs, and they almost always go for brazzy boards (which are great, of course).

But, I’ve often wondered what an ebony/RW combo might be like, given the brightness of the ebony against the darker nature of RW neck.

So, thanks it was very helpful to hear your positive thoughts on that combo. I guess that it could be found easiest via AP, as I’m just not seeing it on WL runs. I’d love to find that combo on a Pattern Thin 408

Rosewood necks FTW. Super comfortable feel.
Love them on my 513s and Rosewood Tele. Very distinctive difference in sound vs. Mahogany neck.
In 513s, at-least in my very limited experience, the Mahogany necked one sounds more Les Paul like whereas the Rosewood neck sounds more stratty.
As a consequence, I converted one of my 513 Rosewoods to my Eb guitar, perfect for Hendrix and SRV.

Love ebony boards though separately (don't have the combination). Definite brightness and clarity. Hope to try out the rosewood neck/ebony board combination one day

Not a typical combination. If I can look aside from PRS, here is one I have had a while. Brazilian neck, ebony board. On top of that, ebony (carved) top and back, sandwiching figured maple (and thin stripes of padauk). Quite unique, not least due to those specially designed Lollar pickups. I shudder to think what it would cost if I was to order one today! Hippie sandwich, as it were.

Oh yeah, built in pre-amp (gain) circuit as well. Def has a bit more "focus".

I really liked the feel of the rosewood neck I had on my McCarty a number of years ago. I did feel like it was a bit scooped sounding in comparison to mahogany though. I think I prefer the warmer sound of Mahogany, but the look and feel of rosewood is great.

You see the rosewood/ebony combo necks from time to time, usually Artist Pack guitars. I know Brian's has done several. There is a CU24 AP in charcoal for sale on TGP right now. Wide thin keck.

Anyway, I love them---much more so than a standard rosewood neck. I prefer the feel AND most importantly, the response and sound. My Santana Yellow CU22 reminds me of the first Dragon I saw in person. Same color, uncovered pickups, rosewood neck, stoptail.

Strictly from a visual, aesthetic perspective, I prefer ebony fret boards. As much as I love figured wood, I think some PS builds are too busy, and certain wood combinations visually clash. I like the way ebony lets a great top be the center of attraction, and nothing allows cool FB inlays to stand out like a jet black ebony board.

Back