Easy way to fix lacquer raising on the side of the fretboard?

StSpider

Yesterday at some point during rehearsal I noticed that a small bit of lacquer had raised on the side of the fretboard. You can't feel anything under a fingernail but you can for sure see it.

I wouldn't normally bother, but the fact is that on these guitars the side dots are already not that easy to see - hence the tape to mark the 12th fret - so this big milky spot at the 10th fret adds to the confusion and could definitely lead me to make mistakes while playing gigs.
GUhjTDn.jpg

Do keep in mind that in the picture the actual dots look super bright, but in reality, when light is dimmer, the difference is not that striking at all, it's barely there.

So is there any easy way to fix it? Some kind of glue, maybe heat it up, anything that doesn't require a tech?

Thanks!

There isn't an easy fix. This was a common issue for PRS in certain years. I've tried heat, buff, and mild sanding. It stays without a strip and refin.

I had this issue when I first got my 408. Sent it back to the PTC and they took care of it.

I forgot to mention it a 20 years old McCarty and I'm in Europe. I doubt there's an easy way to get it fixed by PRS.

They make a thin super glue that you may be able to get in there if it is open at the top of the fretboard. If it is a bubble, there isn't much you can do until it opens up somewhere.

I just put a drop of clear lacquer where the chip is and let it fill in. It isn't perfect, but it will help keep the chip from spreading.

Also, for the side markers, I put a dot of glow in the dark paint over the dot. Do it thinly and it might take 2-3 coats but it will be easy to see and will have a bit if a raise that you can feel. I do more of a longer line at the 12th fret marker.

Simple Fix. Get a few furniture stain markers and color it in. You can also mask the fret board off at that spot and use 1200-1500 WET sandpaper and see if that comes off. You can polish it out after words.

If you do sand, be sure to use a small flat block to wrap the sandpaper around. This will keep the side more or less 'flatter' from left to right.

I have been refinishing guitars for 30 yrs + and will share tips as needed. AI was out 9of the country for a handful of years and it's glad to be back.

Tim
ARS N9NU

P.S. I need to update my avatar photo. Whoops

One guitar PRS refinished :)
Another was a combo of pealing finish and ex owner wearing rings , That guitar I had the neck spot filled , sanded and the neck resprayed with Nitro clear coat.
Another well played example I was able to gently sand and re polish the neck after a small drop fill.

Here's how I do it. More or less.

Never apply the superglue directly from the tube. Eventually you'll screw up and get it on your guitar.

Dip a toothpick into the glue and use that drop at the end of the toothpick to drop a drop into the chip. Much more controllable.

Blue painters tape can be used to mask the surface and prevent the glue from going where you don't want it to.

Use thin super glue (not gap filling) and get some under the flaking finish to glue it down.

If you try to fill it all in one pass with gap filling glue it seems to take a long time to dry in the middle of the fill. The surface dries but it doesn't dry hard in the middle of the drop.

So I use thin superglue and let each pass dry before applying the next.

Let it get good and hard before starting the razor blade trick. Maybe even over night.

That's a great trick for leveling a drop fill.

Last edited:
Back