Easiest way to block a PRS trem?

Clapton uses blocked trem Strats for a reason. Clearly he could have as many hardtails as he could ever possibly want.

Supposedly, when you use the wood block method, you get no trem movement, but the springs still contribute something to the tone. I put a maple block in one of my Strats about 15 years ago, and left there since. It makes a very noticeable difference in feel, and it also seemed to improve sustain. Not sure I hear the springs or not though.

The most effective method has already been mentioned several times, a solid piece of quality wood that fits well between the trem block and the body cavity and you should be good. Tonewise there shouldn't be much of a difference but bending notes should be night & day. I block my trem not cause I don't use it, but due to the give that the trem springs create when bending notes. It's cool if all your guitars have that give and you're used to it, but all my other guitars are stop tail and I hate having to adjust my technique when switching guitars.

Hey guys, I know I'm new and everything, but will a Tremol-no work well with a Floyd? I'd love to be able to drop tune without it taking 15 minutes each time.

Here's what I just did yesterday on my CU22. Block size: 2 3/4"(L) X 1 1/2"(D) X 5/8"(W) from hard rock maple.(There's a cabinet making shop down the street from me and they were kind enough to cut a piece right then and there(brought the guitar so they could see what I wanted) To snug it up, turn claw screws counter-clockwise. Retune. Could I hear a difference? Yes. Is there any string sag when double stop bending? No.

I did the same thing to my Custom 24. I also ran a short screw into the side of the block, closest to the cavity cover, for easy adjustment and removal. Do I see gas line or rubber tubing in your trem springs? That's a great idea, I have some occasional spring noise on my guitar.

Back