early version CE24 10 tops?

Artjr

My wife's a Lawyer
i found and ordered a 97 CE24. It has a 10 stamped pressed in the head stock. It’s a nice looking top either way. I won’t have it in my hands till Wednesday.

Heck with the 10 top part. It’s turned into , is this a 24 neck on a 22 body. To me it looks like that bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than most 24s.

01717_bn5iFcjkfxt_600x450.jpg

Heck with the 10 top part. It’s turned into , is this a 24 neck on a 22 body. To me it looks like that bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than most 24s.

Look at the spacing between the neck and bridge pickup. It's a 22 fret body.

Look at the picture below. The position of the bridge, treble pickup, volume/tone/pickup selector all stay the same relative to each other, but the bridge/pickup/volume/tone/pickup selector are all closer to the neck pickup on a 24 than they are on a 22.

The wide pickup spacing between the neck and bridge is what gives that body away as a 22, not the distance of the bridge pickup to the bridge.

prs_ce22_ce24.jpg

i have gone as far as scaling and overlaying the photos with another CE24. From the 24th fret to the bridge everything matches up. except the bridge pickup the bridge pickup in set back maybe 1/4”. That 1/4” looks like a mile just looking at the guitar.

i have gone as far as scaling and overlaying the photos with another CE24. From the 24th fret to the bridge everything matches up. except the bridge pickup the bridge pickup in set back maybe 1/4”. That 1/4” looks like a mile just looking at the guitar.

Let’s hope it’s just an optical illusion

Can I just throw my opinion in the ring?

The fret marker on the end of the fretboard would indicate it has 24 frets.

For the 25 1/2 inch scale to work on a 24 fret guitar and for upper fret access, the neck joins the body around the 22nd fret. As such, the bridge will be mounted closer to the top of the body in comparison to a 22 fret version. This causes the distance between the two HB’s to be lesser on a 24 fret guitar.

As you have stated, both bodies are identical in shape and size and it appears that the controls are in the same place on each body.

Therefore, I think it’s most likely that the shadowing around the bridge pickup is, as “2nd most notable” has said, causing the optical illusion that the pickup is closer.

If it feels like the guitar for you, go for it!

When I overlapped the body’s my CE24 with a CE22 the bridge on the 24 is forward about 3/8” that’s a rough guess but it’s definitely forward. So I have concluded that it is a 24 body.
Btw CEs 25” scale just like CUs

Look at the spacing between the neck and bridge pickup. It's a 22 fret body.

Look at the picture below. The position of the bridge, treble pickup, volume/tone/pickup selector all stay the same relative to each other, but the bridge/pickup/volume/tone/pickup selector are all closer to the neck pickup on a 24 than they are on a 22.

The wide pickup spacing between the neck and bridge is what gives that body away as a 22, not the distance of the bridge pickup to the bridge.

prs_ce22_ce24.jpg

Veering off the thread topic a little, but there's an '06 Blazing Copper CE22 Mahogany (like the one on the left in the above photo) in "minty" condition that's up right now on the Tampa Bay Craigslist for $1100. Good deal? I'm tempted...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/d/prs-ce22/6521033738.html

Veering off the thread topic a little, but there's an '06 Blazing Copper CE22 Mahogany (like the one on the left in the above photo) in "minty" condition that's up right now on the Tampa Bay Craigslist for $1100. Good deal? I'm tempted...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/d/prs-ce22/6521033738.html

That's not a bad price. I'd want to check it out in person though. Looks like he's removed the finish from the back of the neck. Or micro-meshed it, at the very least.

That's not a bad price. I'd want to check it out in person though. Looks like he's removed the finish from the back of the neck. Or micro-meshed it, at the very least.

Yeah, it definitely looks like he removed the finish from the neck - In fact, you're the second person to notice that.. Good eye.

That makes me a little gun-shy about this one, but maybe it's no big deal. But I might pass on this one simply for that reason. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks for the info!

Decided to pass on this one. That sanded-down neck bothers me some.. It's probably no big deal, but why take a chance?.. I'm noticing there are other older CE22's around for close to the same price.

Back