E String Breaks with SE Locking Tuners

cinemafunk

I have a 2022 245 SE that I purchased in Oct 2022. Within a month, I added the standard SE locking tuners.

In the last month, I've replaced 4 E strings (D'Addario 9s) because the E string keeps breaking at the tuner. I do tend to notice that this happens when I'm transporting the guitar in the original SE bag that came with the guitar. I consider myself very careful with my guitar when I transport it in the bag, and lay it very gingerly in my car's trunk or backseat. I have not had any issues with the other strings so far.

I've tried not tightening the locking tuner too much, seemingly just enough to keep the string intact, but not too tight.

I have another 2010 Paul Allender SE with the same locking tuners and I've never had this problem, even with transportation.

Any thoughts on how I can prevent this in the future?

fwiw, I thread string through the hole straight up the neck, then turn post so the hole turns about 45 degrees, while still holding string straight up parallel to neck. this way it bumps against the edges of the hole, but definitely goes exactly through the middle of the post. Now tighten screw.

and not too tight, that could be the problem too.

I've had that problem with a couple of different sets of lockers, especially if I tuned down to e-flat and back. I started putting a few wraps of string on just the high e. At least if it breaks you've still got some string to work with. It's one reason I'm not really keen on lockers.

My first question would be how tight are you tightening the locking screw? I have always just tightened these with my fingers even though PRS suggests using a coin. I have never had any issues. I would also try what Sergio said and swap the screws to see if that helps.

If it happens when you transport the guitar ... detune the E a bit prior to transit.

You may want to add a turn around the post prior to inserting into the hole to distribute the tension
a bit differently.

Is the string breaking at the hole insertion or where the screw clamps it? You can look at the remainder in
the hole prior to removing it.

I’m with Sergio, try swapping the thumbscrew with another. Also, finger tight only. No need to crank it down.

So I shouldn't be using this?

Dewalt-DCD771C2-20V-Special-Buy-Drill-Kit.jpg

Thanks everyone for the serious replies.

Perhaps I've been hand tightening them too much, but I was more conscious about this most recent replacement. Next time I change strings, I'll try to take a look at the interior of the tuning key hole to see if there is anything that might cut the string, as well as switching the screws around. I'll report back if the issue continues further.

When I used to repair guitars, there were several occasions where I found a sharp edge where the string comes out of the tuning peg hole (i.e. where the string makes its first bend) and it would breaks strings. I would just round it off a bit with a rat tail file.

Back