Dustie Waring Hardtail Ce 24

Mark Reynaers

Hey Everyone!

I had a question, i'm very VERY interested in buying a PRS Dw ce 24 hardtail in the colour Jade smokeburst or Blue Smokeburst..
But I can't deceide on wich one to go for..

But I live in Belgium (no guitars in stock that I can check out in real life) and I was wondering if anybody owns one of these 2 guitars or has some photo's of
the exact guitars and not the photo's on the PRS website?

Thanks in advance,

best wishes from Belgium.

I have the Dustie burst finish. From what I’ve seen of the Floyd versions: they are generally more muted than photos. It’s the satin finish. I don’t think you can pick wrong. I wonder if the green is prone to less fading than blue

Hey, I recently picked up the faded blue smoke burst after seeing a shop that had one with a nicer top. See photos below if you're curious. I will say that the variance in color for the blue in particular seems extreme. There are older versions that appear more "cornflower" blue which I don't like at all. There are newer versions that are a bit more teal (see examples at Peach guitars, for instance). This one seemed to have the right coloring as far as I'm concerned (right in the middle), let alone had a nice top, which is why I chose to snag this one rather than waiting for a "blind" order.

IMO, I would not order one of these without seeing it first. There was an example on Sweetwater a few weeks back that was the blue smoke burst, but the top had like zero figuring and was really washed out meaning the center was almost white and most of the color was right at the edges. It looked absolutely terrible in my opinion and I would have returned that right away if it had been delivered to me for what the guitar costs.

The other thing to note is that there are versions floating around that don't match the PRS website. I was comparing two different faded blue smoke bursts and only one of them had the natural binding as shown on the website. Peach actually had a black one without the natural back as well, so there are at least two different versions around that don't seem to be what PRS is advertising. Could be retailers choosing what to order or PRS having made small errors with that here and there, but as I really wanted to the natural binding, I would have been disappointed if the one I ordered didn't have it.

FWIW, I plan to order a jade smoke burst later on and scrape the binding to get the same look. Not sure why they didn't go with the natural binding on that color....Not sure that I've seen an actual photo of one outside of the "Tones Guitars" page on FaceBook. Eager to see more of them in the wild.

Great guitar either way though. I've owned probably 10 PRS guitars over the years and the CEs always seem to speak to me more than the CU24s. Not 100% sure about the pickups (or the positions Dustie requested), but to my ear, they sound better than some of the other PRS pickups I've tried, at least for heavier stuff. Neck carve isn't incredibly noticeable to me as being radically different than a regular carve, but I'm not too fussy about necks in the first place.

Good luck!

this is not so far away from Belgium:cool:

Hey, I recently picked up the faded blue smoke burst after seeing a shop that had one with a nicer top. See photos below if you're curious. I will say that the variance in color for the blue in particular seems extreme. There are older versions that appear more "cornflower" blue which I don't like at all. There are newer versions that are a bit more teal (see examples at Peach guitars, for instance). This one seemed to have the right coloring as far as I'm concerned (right in the middle), let alone had a nice top, which is why I chose to snag this one rather than waiting for a "blind" order.

IMO, I would not order one of these without seeing it first. There was an example on Sweetwater a few weeks back that was the blue smoke burst, but the top had like zero figuring and was really washed out meaning the center was almost white and most of the color was right at the edges. It looked absolutely terrible in my opinion and I would have returned that right away if it had been delivered to me for what the guitar costs.

The other thing to note is that there are versions floating around that don't match the PRS website. I was comparing two different faded blue smoke bursts and only one of them had the natural binding as shown on the website. Peach actually had a black one without the natural back as well, so there are at least two different versions around that don't seem to be what PRS is advertising. Could be retailers choosing what to order or PRS having made small errors with that here and there, but as I really wanted to the natural binding, I would have been disappointed if the one I ordered didn't have it.

FWIW, I plan to order a jade smoke burst later on and scrape the binding to get the same look. Not sure why they didn't go with the natural binding on that color....Not sure that I've seen an actual photo of one outside of the "Tones Guitars" page on FaceBook. Eager to see more of them in the wild.

Great guitar either way though. I've owned probably 10 PRS guitars over the years and the CEs always seem to speak to me more than the CU24s. Not 100% sure about the pickups (or the positions Dustie requested), but to my ear, they sound better than some of the other PRS pickups I've tried, at least for heavier stuff. Neck carve isn't incredibly noticeable to me as being radically different than a regular carve, but I'm not too fussy about necks in the first place.

Good luck!

Wow thank you for the pictures. I've seen some online that don't look so good but this one lookes amazing jezus!
Best of luck with it

:eek:I’m gonna guess the values of these plummet for the foreseeable future. Right or wrong.

Oh, hadn’t seen or heard that. Yikes.

Edit: Did a bit more research. IF the allegations are true, then honestly he can get fucked.

However, I didn't buy the guitar to support him. I didn't buy the guitar because I loved BTBAM. I bought the guitar because I like PRS and I loved the combination of specs on it. Didn't go into it expecting that it was an "investment" that wasn't going to lose value. Regardless of whatever Dustie did, it's still a USA-made PRS with desirable specs and that's going to prevent there being a crazy low "floor" for the price. There will be plenty of people that have no idea who he is that may buy second hand and if you priced it low, they'd wonder why and probably be more skeptical of that then pricing it "reasonably" and then disclosing this fact.

Honestly, this is a case of separating the art from the artist.

Plenty of people in high profile situations that did fucked **** and if we ceased consuming anything they'd ever done, the world would look a whole lot different than it does now.

Think my only "thing" is that I don't like that some amount of the money I spent on it ended up in his pocket, but I shop at Amazon and all manner of other places that probably see money being funneled into the pockets of people that have done some bad ****. It's hard to purity spiral on this when you wouldn't carry that consistency with you everywhere you spend your money.

Right to call it out though regardless.

Last edited:
Ouch. I'm still not parting with my green DW Floyd CE24, as I have zero problems with PRS anything.

As for DW, not defending the guy, but he is innocent until proven guilty in the US. If he truly did this, then I would be nauseated by it and still keep my guitar and recommend it for it's value as an excellent guitar for the money it costs!

Ouch. I'm still not parting with my green DW Floyd CE24, as I have zero problems with PRS anything.

As for DW, not defending the guy, but he is innocent until proven guilty in the US. If he truly did this, then I would be nauseated by it and still keep my guitar and recommend it for it's value as an excellent guitar for the money it costs!
Yeah, if it's true, I imagine PRS will likely move towards restricting their agreement with him for the signature (there's probably language in their contract to do with Dustie doing something that could "harm" PRS as a brand) and continue producing it without Dustie getting a cut any longer.

Hell, maybe that means it gets a little bit cheaper due to not having his name attached (and probably stock PRS pickups rather than the sigs) and it gets to be an even better value in the current economic climate as a result.

That would seem to me to be a possible silver lining situation here.

PRS has had a bad run of luck with metal signature artists. There’s this, Mark Holcomb gaslighting Yvette Young, and the whole Nick Catanese horribleness.

Did PRS ever issue a statement for the previous situations you mention? Obviously they stopped making NC sigs, but they've increased their collaborative work with Mark....

Did PRS ever issue a statement for the previous situations you mention? Obviously they stopped making NC sigs, but they've increased their collaborative work with Mark....
I don’t recall a statement, no.

Unlike the Catanese and Waring cases, it was consensual but he was lying to her about being separated from his wife. You could see their chemistry in a bunch of videos from that time, which are really awkward to watch now.

It looks like Yvette Young is just getting back on her feet with a reformed Covet now.

Back