Dunlop straplok

Hunterfz6

hi, I just went to guitar center and bought a set of Dunlop straplok for my 2013 SE custom 24. I have read the Dunlop screws are longer than stock screws and it might go in tight or it might split the wood. Any words of wisdom? I'm not going to be totally bummed if I mess up the finish, it's not like this is a 3,000 dollar guitar. But, id like to be as careful as I can. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In case anyone runs into the same question. The SE custom 24 strap screw is about the same size as the Dunlop straplok screw. There was no issue. The screws on my CE24 strap buttons are much longer. You can really see the compromises made to put out a cheaper guitar when you compare them side by side. Iwas thinking about putting straploks on my CE24 but I don't want to risk it. The strap button is large enough I don't think it'll need straploks. Regards.

In case anyone runs into the same question. The SE custom 24 strap screw is about the same size as the Dunlop straplok screw. There was no issue. The screws on my CE24 strap buttons are much longer. You can really see the compromises made to put out a cheaper guitar when you compare them side by side. Iwas thinking about putting straploks on my CE24 but I don't want to risk it. The strap button is large enough I don't think it'll need straploks. Regards.

Thanks for the update. I think you will find a lot of people around here agree and feel no need to change out the stock US strap buttons. Me included, and when I got my SE I bought a set and put them on that guitar as well. No straplocks needed.

I put Schaller Strap Locks on my Mira. Used the original screws from the strap pins, but added a couple of ends from some toothpicks (slightly shorter than the length of the original screws) in the original holes. I used the flat toothpicks, not the round ones.
The reason for the toothpicks was because once you've removed the original strap button, the hole would no longer provide a tight fit.

Strap Locks mounted nice and tight, and no need to worry about damaging the integrity of the wood with longer screws.
I've done this with all my guitars. It should work with the Dunlops. I don't see why not?
Works for me. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey gball. I agree that the expensive Prs don't need a strap lock change, the strap buttons are huge. Speaking to better quality parts. The 2013 SE CU24 I have had little bitty buttons and I was worried they might cause the strap to come out. IMHO the SE need them.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Dimarzio Clip Lock Straps. I have them on all of my electrics!

Edit: This is what I get for not reading the first post...I had the same problem with the Clip Lock Straps on my SEs. I just used the factory screw that was originally in the strap button. So far, so good for me! Not sure if this might be an option for you.

Last edited:
I have been using Dunlop Straploks for many years now, maybe pushing 15 years or so, and I have always used the Dunlop supplied screws and never had an issue on any guitar including PRSi.

I have been using Dunlop Straploks for many years now, maybe pushing 15 years or so, and I have always used the Dunlop supplied screws and never had an issue on any guitar including PRSi.

Hi, whether or not dunlop's screws is too big to damage PRS's wood?

i have dunlop locks on all my electric guitars and have never had a problem.

to ease your mind, find a nail with a smaller diameter than the screw then insert it into the hole to measure its depth. i believe you'll find that it exceeds the size of the factory screw.

if you find you're not getting a snug fit when you put in a different screw, dip some toothpicks in wood glue, shove then in the holes, then put in your screws.

I am having so much fun misreading what you're all talking about...

:eek:

(Schaller user here - w/original strap button screws, and no added material in the hole.)

Never heard of any wood splitting from changing strap locks, should be safe there, and I love putting Dunlops on my basses, but the PRS family all get the US PRS stock ends...whoda thunk bass string retainers?!? Love them.

My CE24 has Dunlops, and I just put them in my Mira mapletop, no mods no hole stuffing, just screwed them in. No problems.

Back