Dunlop pick holder mounted on PRS...

ken2esq

I am a fan of guitar-mounted pick holders, nothing beats the convenience for grabbing a pick, at least IMO.

I like the Dunlop version with the rounded top (the one with the hard edges on top seems prone to snag, not as fluid to slide out a new pick, got one of those by accident, and three of the other kind).

I put one of these on my first EG, an epiphone G400, on the body next to the tone knobs, very easy to reach down and snag one. I also put one on an Ibanez acoustic electric, but this one went on the side of the body just above the neck, because it seemed more discreet and was next to the preamp controls. Not quite as easy to grab a new pick in an instant, but still very fast.

Then I got my PRS McCarty 10 top. I really debated whether it was sacrilege to mar it with a plastic pick holder. The body is thin enough that putting it on the side of the body seemed a no-go, so it looked like the only place would be on the face of the body, somewhere near the tone knob, pup switch, etc.. But the looks of it...well, I just was not willing to do that. I mean, the G400 had black tone knobs and wine-colored body, so black pick holder was discreet even on the body, looked fine, but my PRS Is light blue with golden-ish tone knows, so black pick holder would stand out like sore thumb. Then I found the perfect place. On the side of the body just about an inch under the strap button that is at the very bottom edge of the guitar. I have a black guitar strap and the side view of the Dunlop pick holder is very discreet, does nothing to take away from look of the guitar. I also found that the way I positioned it, it is very natural to grab a pick, probably fastest / easiest of any guitar I've put a pick holder on. This is maybe the fattest part of the guitar body, so it is just barely wide enough (and in fact, the pick holder may stick out like 1/32 of an inch on each side, but not enough to snag, I think, so I think it's a secure place). I was a bit worried about having this sticking out from the bottom of the guitar, since the guitar is a tight fit in the guitar case, but it is does not stick out enough to pose a problem, so far so good. I do see a potential issue putting it on a guitar stand, would be very near the prongs in a normal guitar holder, but the pick holder is centered enough, just an inch below the strap button, that it falls between the two prongs of the guitar stands I use. And, too, I think the two-sided tape Dunlop uses is pretty good strength, I have not had these pick holders fall off any guitar I've placed them on, going back over 2 years, so I do think it can take a bit of knocking/tugging and it won't budge (though I'm sure it would fall off from serious abuse or tugging).

I saw some pick holders online that seemed perhaps a bit more...stylish? But still plastic, and not much in terms of reviews to tell me how good they work (the Dunlop has a proven release mechanism everyone seems to like) and I was going for proven functionality and understatedness. Anyway, in case anyone was thinking of pick holder solutions for PRS, I thought I'd share because I probably would have given up on this option if I had not thought of this particular location for it.

Well, I know this thread would probably benefit from a pic or two, but I'm not presently at home. I'll try to get pics posted tonight if anyone's interested seeing it. I mean, it's such a simple concept, I bet most can picture it without need for pics, but still, a pic is worth a 1000 words...

Ken

Last edited:
You know that Levy's and Martin both make straps with built in pick holders, right? Here's a link to the Levy's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-MS17PH-BRN-backing-standard/dp/B003YC6NXO

And you can get pick holders for mic stands, too. Lots of players just scatter some picks on top of an amp that they can grab.

I just use a pocket. I'd never stick one of those things on one of my PRSes, but then perhaps I'm a bit fussy about my guitars.

Last edited:
I have nubile cougars hold my picks on stage. Only problem is they tend to drink too much and run off with the busboys.

I like having picks handy when I'm just at home messing around w/o mic stand, so that solution does not work.

Buying a guitar strap w/ pick holder sounds like an idea, but I don't care for the thick leather / rawhide look or feel of the one you linked to. Anyway, I already have my guitar strap and I really like it (Planet Waves, locking strap, in black satin, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planet-Wave...697?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c355ddb31). I liked it so much, I immediately bought a second back up. I'm also not sure that grabbing pick from the leather strap would be as quick and easy as getting one from a well-placed Dunlop pick holder. And there are times I might remove the guitar strap and just grab the guitar to mess around with while sitting down, and then I would not have any pick.

Basically, any solution that involves a pick holder anywhere other than on the actual guitar -- the case, the mic stand, the strap -- leaves you at risk of finding yourself without a pick and having to stop what you are doing, walk somewhere to get one, which I find annoying. I guess another option are those bracelet ;/ wrist mounted pick holders, but then I'd have to put on something special every time I play guitar which, again, is just another step, another hassle. So really having the pick holder on the guitar body is ideal, IF you can find a place that is suitably out of the way, does not mar the appearance (or if you really place function over form and do not care so much about appearance).

Or maybe I just drop my pick more than the average person. I also like to keep a variety of thickness / style picks in my pick holder, and sometimes I play around with using different ones depending whether I'm playing funk, or lead, or what, or just for a change of pace. So just leaving the pick in the strings is not an ideal solution either.

Ken

Pockets.

Keychain holder.

Necklace holder.

On the amp.

On the mic stand.

In a box on my desk.

Stolen from the guitarist next to me...

Just not mounted on my beauty!

I don't know what she charges per hour but...

TG-1-Plectrums-1_d.jpg

I just keep them in my pocket or on a desk somewhere... To be honest, they're all over the house being the messy sod I am!

I have plenty of pics they took at the police station.

BTW, mods, he link isn't lewd or anything.:hello:

I like having picks handy when I'm just at home messing around w/o mic stand, so that solution does not work.

To each, their own, of course!

I often use this, it's made by a guy in a small shop in England, I just pull it out of the guitar case and stick it in a pocket, has room for 3 heavy picks in each opening, and the closure keeps them from falling out. It opens flat, and I just put it next to me if it's not in my pocket; the leather is really fantastic:

For real, on stage I made sure they were on the mic stand, in my pick guard, in my poker chip, on my strap, on my amp, on my band mate's keyboard and in my pocket. If I dropped a pick I'd just play using my fingers until I got a chance to grab another. Did the same in practice, which was practice for dropping my pick.

Last edited:
A ten-penny nail will hold a lot of picks - less the further you drive it into the guitar.

il_340x270.324324480.jpg

A ten-penny nail will hold a lot of picks - less the further you drive it into the guitar.

il_340x270.324324480.jpg

You realize that if you rearrange the order of the sentences on that tag, a completely different meaning arises.

You realize that if you rearrange the order of the sentences on that tag, a completely different meaning arises.

Yes, but after being married as long as I have, I'm afraid if I found myself with someone new, that order would be too accurate. I proposed an experiment to see if that theory is correct, but all I found out is that my wife isn't as curious about it as I am.

Same here, but my wife did become curious if I could leave the house before she could hit me with a lamp.

Yes, but after being married as long as I have, I'm afraid if I found myself with someone new, that order would be too accurate. I proposed an experiment to see if that theory is correct, but all I found out is that my wife isn't as curious about it as I am.

Same here, but my wife did become curious if I could leave the house before she could hit me with a lamp.

As soon as an artist of any kind settles down, the work suffers. New love and sexual tension are the source of creative juices.

Thus, the creative person must have many relationships over a period of years to prevent the onset of boredom and to serve as inspiration.

I'm sure that if you sit down with your wife and explain this simple, inescapable fact, she will see the logic of your reasoning, and be delighted when you acquire whatever mistresses you need to accomplish your mission on this planet!

Last edited:
As soon as an artist of any kind settles down, the work suffers. New love and sexual tension are the source of creative juices.

Thus, the creative person must have many relationships over a period of years to prevent the onset of boredom and to serve as inspiration.

In my experience, you can accomplish the same with one relationship, so long as it is highly dysfunctional so you never really "settle down."

Ken

Back