Dunlop Jumbo fret wire on PRS?

boardn10

Anyone with experience with Dunlop jumbo fret wire on a PRS?
My tech I stalled all Dunlop Jumbo on his Fenders and it improved the tone.

I may have him do my LP Standard or PRS CE22.

I also have a PRS SC250 with I assume medium jumbo nickel?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

I can’t confirm fret wire brand now, but I was under the impression that DGTs - at some point - had 6100s (which is a Dunlop-only designation).

6100s have been on one of my Les Paul’s for decades and they are a game-changer. Easily my fav fret size.

I can’t confirm fret wire brand now, but I was under the impression that DGTs - at some point - had 6100s (which is a Dunlop-only designation).

6100s have been on one of my Les Paul’s for decades and they are a game-changer. Easily my fav fret size.

Thanks!

That's what my tech friend says about using 6100s on all his Fenders. He says the frets really cause the notes to pop more or leap off the fretboard like certain amps.

My LP Standard is up for a fret dress soon, so I will try 6100s.

I have an older PRS CE22 that may be cool with th too. That is a 10" radius board and I know that DGT is 12" like Gibson.

I seem to remember from a Grissom interview where Paul said they actually use a custom-made fretwire on DGTs that is "close" to 6100 specs, but not actually the Dunlop wire ?

I seem to remember from a Grissom interview where Paul said they actually use a custom-made fretwire on DGTs that is "close" to 6100 specs, but not actually the Dunlop wire ?
That’s what I know, too. I vaguely recall that 6100s may have been used in the proto period, but don’t hold me to that. DG is VERY particular and has no reservations telling PRSh if he missed the mark. Obviously, hearing them recall the content of phone conversations is hilarious and you know they aren’t exaggerating!

Thanka guys.
I may do Dunlop 6100 jumbo on my 94 CE22. I played tech's Fenders with installed Jumbo frets and it really makes a difference. Nice pop with the notes and great feel. I played some of his guitars before and after and he has some in his house with and without, so I could compare. We even talked about it on my LP and SC250.

As I recall, the 513 fret wire was also that “close to 6100” size. I like it quite a lot.

Thanka guys.
I may do Dunlop 6100 jumbo on my 94 CE22. I played tech's Fenders with installed Jumbo frets and it really makes a difference. Nice pop with the notes and great feel. I played some of his guitars before and after and he has some in his house with and without, so I could compare. We even talked about it on my LP and SC250.
I really love 6100s on my Les Paul.

I put 6100 on my CS336 and couldn't be happier with it. I found that I needed a more 'relaxed" left hand as it's easy to pull single notes sharp with those big bumps, but in the end that's not a bad thing, so I worked on playing more without a death-grip and it's so much nicer and easier to get used to than I thought.

Back