Dumblestyle Overdrive Pedals... your thoughts

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
I have been looking into a nice dumble style overdrive but sadly I have not been able to find many that really fit this role. So I once again turn to you guys to see what you think.
So far the 2 I keep seeing pop are the Lovepedal Zendrive and the Fuchs Plush Drive. I have played the Plush drive and wasn't really all that into it, and well the Zendrive I just havent been able to play yet. Any other suggestions?

Take a look at the Jetter GS124, there is a video at the wildwood guitars web site. Great tone.

Hey Arturo, I just picked up one of the Jetter GS 124, they sound great. You might want to give it a try!

I have a Zendrive clone that I got in between Hermida stopping making them and the Lovepedal changeover. I dig it. It's not a tone I would gravitate to being a more crunchy riff rock kind of player, I'm more into Marshally/Voxy/Tweedy type amp in a box pedals but I use the Zen if I want a super smooth bluesy tone ala Robben Ford or something.

Ask Tag. He's actually owned a Dumble and can probably steer you in the right direction.

I tried a Wampler Euphoria and liked it quite a bit. Ended up going with the Plexidrive, because that's more what I was after, but still considering grabbing a Euphoria down the road.

I really really like the Zendrive Red. It is a limited production higher gain version of their original circuit. I can get everything from a simple clean boost with hair when you dig in to a smooth refined 80's sound all the way to the crunchy 70's Dumble rock sounds. It covers everything I would want out of a D style pedal. Of course playing it into a vintage blackface super doesnt hurt...

Im not sure if they can still be found, but they were available for purchase earlier this year at Guitar Center of all places

Having owned several Two-Rocks (Dumble style amps) I have found that you won't get the real-deal tone in a pedal, not even the Zendrive or Wampler. General ballpark? Sure. But close is no cigar.

But as I said, Tag may know of something.

I absolutely love every Jetter pedal I've played, and own two Jet Drives (one each for two different pedal board rigs).

This has been getting good reviews, though I have not played it:

Mojo Hand FX DMBL
http://www.mojohandfx.com/product/dmbl-overdrive/

Their stuff is good.

I went online and checked this one out, really liked the tones I heard. I think I may have to just order one !

still looking at a few other ones. Going to try and get as many of these checked out as I can

Having owned several Two-Rocks (Dumble style amps) I have found that you won't get the real-deal tone in a pedal, not even the Zendrive or Wampler. General ballpark? Sure. But close is no cigar.

But as I said, Tag may know of something.

You will never get it in a pedal, but the Ethos is excellent, the Zendrive pretty good (Ethos sent it packing) but the closest I have found yet is the Mad Professor Blue sky overdrive. One thing that makes this a pain is that you have to get the early hand wired ones that do not say hand wired on them. They say BJF design, and do NOT get the PCB version. I have heard he now makes an actual Dumble style pedal called the Simble overdrive, but I have not yet tried one. here is how good the Blue sky sounds though, A/Bd with the overdrive side of my Quinn Dumble clone, which I personally had cloned from my Dumble serial #183. I flew Shad (owned of Quinn amps) to my house from Washington state to reverse engineer my Dumble, because I was not 100% happy with any of the clones out there. He totally nailed it, and I A/Bd them side by side to make sure. If you want a Dumble clone, the Quinn TKT183 is the one to get, but I do not think Shad is taking any new orders until July because he is so backed up. No I have no ties with Quinn amps, I make no money from them, and I ended up paying way more for a clone of my own amp than you will!!! :mad: (It was actually a tremendous amount of work for him to get it right, but get it right he did!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew Tag would have the answer on this one.

When I look back, the time and effort (10 plus years!) I put into getting it right is insane. I should have just bought a Dumble first. Lesson learned. Spend the money and get what you REALLY want up front. . If you dont, most of the time you are going to waste a lot of time, waste a lot of money, and in the end, spend the money and get what you really wanted in the first place anyway. I went nuts. Rented 4 Dumbles at a time for hours on end, A/Bd them with everything that was suppose to be a clone I could find. I actually thought I was FINALLY happy with two older model TwoRocks. An "Artist" and "Emerald Pro". Each did something that the best Dumbles did, but it took two amps to do what ONE great Dumnble could do. One day, a buddy talked me into going to a local shop that had landed TWO Dumbles what seemed like out of nowhere. I was really happy with what I had, and just went for the fun of it. The first one was a 70s Dumble, and it was OK, but I had played several early and mid 80s, which to me sounded the best. The second one was ordered in the early 80s, and delivered about 6-7 years after it was ordered. The guy thought he was never going to see the amp, or get his money back, and one day Howie calls him out of the blue and says your amp is done. Like it was totally normal to wait 6 years for an amp. Anyway, I plugged in, played 2-3 notes, and my stomach felt awful right away. I had played some killer Dumbles, but this thing was unreal. They had 2 D style amps there as well, a carol Ann and a Fuchs, both very nice amps in their own right, but the heck if that dumble did not eat them alive. We changed cabs, speakers, everything. That Dumble was pure magic. I was not going to make the mistake again. I got it, and it put my TwoRocks to sleep as well. I was hoping to keep that baby until I was done, but the economy crunched and i had to let it go. I had it cloned before hand just in case anything like that happened. Another thing, every guitar I played through it sounded unreal, but the best match for it IMO, PRSs and Teles. The perfect combination. I still dig my fenders for pure cleans, but the Dumbles cleans are damn good, and there is nothing that touches the overdrive of the best Dumbles. The closest thing to a human voice you will find in an amp. There is nothing like them.

Here is a clip of the Dumble with my old PRS Modern Eagle 1 plugged in (You cant see it in the clip) I never meant to post this, as its just rambling, but the amp sounded so good, I put it up on you tube anyway. The verb is from a Trex roomate in the loop. You can see a few of my twoRocks in the picture as well that were sold a few days later.. And there it is! My old Monster studio cable! So thick it would never unwind correctly. Good thing I did not pull on it any harder! LOL!

Lots of Dstyle pedals out there - DMBL, GS124, Dumbbell, Zendrive, Ethos, FET Dream, Euphoria, etc etc.

I hope to pick up a Mojo Hand DMBL soon. I love that company and I use their Rook religiously. I also have their BlueBonnet, Clementine, and Socrates. Their OD's are very cool and I'm personally a big fan of independent bass and treble on an OD rather than one smiley-face tone knob.

Here is a clip of the Dumble with my old PRS Modern Eagle 1 plugged in (You cant see it in the clip) I never meant to post this, as its just rambling, but the amp sounded so good, I put it up on you tube anyway. The verb is from a Trex roomate in the loop. You can see a few of my twoRocks in the picture as well that were sold a few days later.. And there it is! My old Monster studio cable! So thick it would never unwind correctly. Good thing I did not pull on it any harder! LOL!

You're a mad man with that cord like that, but have never sounded better to my ears. That amp rips. Well done.

You're a mad man with that cord like that, but have never sounded better to my ears. That amp rips. Well done.

I like to live dangerously. :biggrin: Thanks, and yes, Dumble is the man! That ME 1 was a killer too. Sorry I sold that one.

I like to live dangerously. :biggrin: Thanks, and yes, Dumble is the man! That ME 1 was a killer too. Sorry I sold that one. I had 3, and that one was heads and shoulders above the other two.

You will never get it in a pedal.

Not to be negative, but I agree. I've played a real Dumble at Ultrasound Rehearsal Studios and bought one of Tony Bruno's Super 100s, which, to me, sounded virtually identical, and I've never heard a pedal that nails that tone. Although, that's not to say that there aren't pedals that sound similar or, depending on what you're after, better than the real thing. I just haven't heard anything that can make another amp sound like the real thing--then again, you also could say the same thing about a lot of other amps and the pedals that are supposed to reproduce their tones.

Last edited:
Back