Dumb question...

You like the SS frets? Can you clearly hear/feel a difference? My other s type is still at the tech but I had them re-radius the neck and install Jescar SS wire. I haven’t got it back yet but I’m worried about how the tone might change.

I can't answer the tone because they've always been on my JP12. But feel I can comment on. They definitely feel different. They feel slick. When I'm used to it, I like it but if I don't play that guitar for a week or so, it throws me off a little at first. And, I'm not sure I'd ever change one of my PRS guitars over to them.

it could also be a worn nut that's causing the problem. I'd take it to a really good tech.

Hey @Casi1 good to have you back in the land of the living. Now all we need to do is send out a search party for @Cocorosa and @Boudica to make sure that they are adding to their respective PRSi collections :D

Still around. Distracted by work, world cup and lots of gigs but popping in to drool over some of the NGD's that have shown up here. Probably also slightly sulking I was too far away to go to the Experience days!

Still around. Distracted by work, world cup and lots of gigs but popping in to drool over some of the NGD's that have shown up here. Probably also slightly sulking I was too far away to go to the Experience days!
Good to know you’re still here in spirit.

+1 on Exp 2018. We’ll make it there one day!

Nice to hear you’ve had plenty of gigs.

Take care :)

you almost have to draw a picture to explain the fret/string contact.. But the simplest explanation I can give without stick people is...

you have a yard stick and you put one end on the floor, then rest it on a basketball. There is an area where there is real solid contact with the ball. With a string in fact, your pushing down, which even widens that contact area.

Now put one end of the yard stick on the ground, and rest in on a cardboard box. It's only has a thin line of contact. That's an exaggeration of what happens with the string when frets get flat. Instead of a good fat rounded contact patch, it might only be sitting on an edge of a fret, which will make the string lose volume and tone. It won't vibrate as much with a weak contact point.

WTF...Uh, guys...I think something has happened to DTR? :eek:Apparently, he's been kidnapped by one of my old physics professors! Okay, prof! You bring back our Winger loving buddy....or it's gonna get ugly! Hang on buddy we'll find you!:mad:

Last edited:
Back