Dumb question...

Casi1

Hey Guys!

I know I’ve been a bad bad PRS forumite... missing Experience (aka Enablers Unite), not logging in on the forum much over past month, buying F s-types, etc... but Imma do better. I promise.

:)

Here’s my latest dumb question. Is it possible that frets could be worn flat on just the treble side, making the E and B strings sound super wimpy?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.... and might save me some money.

Thanks!

Absolutely.
The wear pattern is closely tied to where you play. I’ll wear the B, G, D first between 7 and 12

Thanks! But a flat fret wire can produce a wimpy sound, right?

If this is the case, then all I can do is get a re-fret, correct? Literally, the metal is flat between the 1rst and 4th frets... I’m thinking there’s no way to reshape flat.

If this is the case, then all I can do is get a re-fret, correct? Literally, the metal is flat between the 1rst and 4th frets... I’m thinking there’s no way to reshape flat.
I have never really thought about it, but I believe the skinny strings over a flatter surface could dampen the sound.

I’ll defer the question of reshaping flat frets to someone else. It isn’t something I would tackle on my own.

As long as you are cool with the fret height a fret file will do the job.

Les Paul's have wide flat frets and they don't sound wimpy.

Does the guitar sound wimpy past the flat frets?

What do you mean by wimpy exactly? Don't sustain?

Frets wear where you play on them. If particular notes are choking out and you can see wear on the fretwire it's time to take it to a tech and have the frets dressed. They will straighten the neck, level the frets with a large filing beam and polish them all up, and you will have a brand new level playing surface. It's necessary maintenance for any good guitar, and it will make the fretwire last you longer.

I can't see fret shape changing your tone in that way at all. I mean, skinny tall wire might send you out of pitch if you press too hard, but it's better for intonation than fat flat-topped wire.

If your frets look like they're too flat on top, maybe they've already had a few levels, have a tech crown them.

Hey! There you are...I asked someone a couple of weeks ago if they knew what happened to @Casi1? I was concerned that one of my fellow creatins had offended you or made you uncomfortable in some way. I mean, I don't know how we could, seeing as how well adjusted, cordial and polite we are to one another at all times...couugh-bullsht-cough. Glad to see you!

Now, back to the fret thing...I have an old beater acoustic that has some VERY serious wear on a lot of the frets, especially the e and b strings both around the 12th but more so on 1,2 and 3...it causes a lot of fret buzz, unless I keep a death grip on it. Has the guitar got a ton of play over time or is it relatively new? My acoustic is I'm guessing 20 years old...so its been beat on and as soon as it's replacement is doable I plan on trying my hand at bringing them back to life.

Wimpy? Yeah, if the low frets are causing the taller frets to choke out notes.

You may be surprised as far as being able to save the existing frets. You'll need to take it to a good luthier to see what they say.

Speaking of frets and S types, I'm putting together a new one with stainless steel frets and I was an instant convert. Something to consider if you do need a refret.

As long as you are cool with the fret height a fret file will do the job.

Les Paul's have wide flat frets and they don't sound wimpy.

Does the guitar sound wimpy past the flat frets?

Hmmmm. I will check it out. The frets aren’t as flat after the 4th fret and the notes ring out louder/clearer. I will check again tonight when I get home to make sure I’m recalling that correctly.

What do you mean by wimpy exactly? Don't sustain?

Frets wear where you play on them. If particular notes are choking out and you can see wear on the fretwire it's time to take it to a tech and have the frets dressed. They will straighten the neck, level the frets with a large filing beam and polish them all up, and you will have a brand new level playing surface. It's necessary maintenance for any good guitar, and it will make the fretwire last you longer.

I can't see fret shape changing your tone in that way at all. I mean, skinny tall wire might send you out of pitch if you press too hard, but it's better for intonation than fat flat-topped wire.

If your frets look like they're too flat on top, maybe they've already had a few levels, have a tech crown them.

Yeah, I’m thinking that they are just super worn down on the treble side. By wimpy, I mean, say I’m playing Little Wing... the that first lil slide that involves hitting the high e and b... it sounds anemic. Like it’s barely there. And that’s way at the 12th. Bring it to the 3rd and it sounds almost dead. I’m using 9.5s.

Running my hand over the fret wires... they are so flat on the treble side that I can barely distinguish them from the board. Not the case with the bass side.

By the way, this guitar is super old.

I’m thinking it’s needs a doctors appt with the tech.

Wimpy? Yeah, if the low frets are causing the taller frets to choke out notes.

You may be surprised as far as being able to save the existing frets. You'll need to take it to a good luthier to see what they say.

Speaking of frets and S types, I'm putting together a new one with stainless steel frets and I was an instant convert. Something to consider if you do need a refret.

You like the SS frets? Can you clearly hear/feel a difference? My other s type is still at the tech but I had them re-radius the neck and install Jescar SS wire. I haven’t got it back yet but I’m worried about how the tone might change.

Hey! There you are...I asked someone a couple of weeks ago if they knew what happened to @Casi1? I was concerned that one of my fellow creatins had offended you or made you uncomfortable in some way. I mean, I don't know how we could, seeing as how well adjusted, cordial and polite we are to one another at all times...couugh-bullsht-cough. Glad to see you!

Now, back to the fret thing...I have an old beater acoustic that has some VERY serious wear on a lot of the frets, especially the e and b strings both around the 12th but more so on 1,2 and 3...it causes a lot of fret buzz, unless I keep a death grip on it. Has the guitar got a ton of play over time or is it relatively new? My acoustic is I'm guessing 20 years old...so its been beat on and as soon as it's replacement is doable I plan on trying my hand at bringing them back to life.

Lol. I am alive and well... You bunch of boy scouts and cherubs could never offend me.

:p

This guitar is from the 70s and has the wear and tear to prove it. It is exactly like the guitar you describe except mines not buzzing... it just sounds wussified.

You like the SS frets? Can you clearly hear/feel a difference? My other s type is still at the tech but I had them re-radius the neck and install Jescar SS wire. I haven’t got it back yet but I’m worried about how the tone might change.

They feel amazing to me. It's a new build, so I can't comment about a change in tone, but it is a dang fine sounding Strat so far. Nothing out of order at all.

my third fret is visibly flattened under the b, it is definitely a drag.

Mine always get a divot there and the second fret of the G and high E. Apparently I fret the open D major chord hard. In fact, if I keep a guitar long enough I put a divot in the fretboard between frets 1 and 2. Frets in the middle of the neck all get flattened from bends. The frets up top just corrode, LOL.

how does it sound with open B and E strings?
If that's also wimpy, and the strings are free to vibrate without hitting frets, then something else could be the problem.

you almost have to draw a picture to explain the fret/string contact.. But the simplest explanation I can give without stick people is...

you have a yard stick and you put one end on the floor, then rest it on a basketball. There is an area where there is real solid contact with the ball. With a string in fact, your pushing down, which even widens that contact area.

Now put one end of the yard stick on the ground, and rest in on a cardboard box. It's only has a thin line of contact. That's an exaggeration of what happens with the string when frets get flat. Instead of a good fat rounded contact patch, it might only be sitting on an edge of a fret, which will make the string lose volume and tone. It won't vibrate as much with a weak contact point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back