Dude Shreds Dream Theater on a PRS

Drew

I found this and figured I'd share. I always believed that PRS should get some guys on board to showcase the shred-ability of PRS guitars. This also happens to be my absolute favorite solo by John Petrucci. Very tastefully melodic yet has some absolute technical wizardry.

Ok, I'll bite. Why?

It was no doubt great playing and the music was melodic then technical. For me, I just lost interest after a while.

I own a bunch of Satch and Vai - its not that I don't like this type of music....

Maybe it just had too many tricks, one after another. Or it's just so beyond what I can play so I zoned out?

It was no doubt great playing and the music was melodic then technical. For me, I just lost interest after a while.

I own a bunch of Satch and Vai - its not that I don't like this type of music....

Maybe it just had too many tricks, one after another. Or it's just so beyond what I can play so I zoned out?

I was just curious. Thought your specific mention of 1:47 might have had something or other that triggered it.

Still interesting. I can get bored with long solos that are all shredding. As much as I love Yngwie, I can't listen to it over and over, like I can with Dream Theater. And this particular solo has a lot of melodic playing with much smaller amounts of shredding runs mixed in. John does like long solos! And, it's hard to pull that off time after time, and do it as well as he does, IMO. If I play a 60 second solo, you'd be yawning about 12 seconds in. :D

I was just curious. Thought your specific mention of 1:47 might have had something or other that triggered it.

Still interesting. I can get bored with long solos that are all shredding. As much as I love Yngwie, I can't listen to it over and over, like I can with Dream Theater. And this particular solo has a lot of melodic playing with much smaller amounts of shredding runs mixed in. John does like long solos! And, it's hard to pull that off time after time, and do it as well as he does, IMO. If I play a 60 second solo, you'd be yawning about 12 seconds in. :D

I kind of thought that the flurry of sweeping right before that much have been what pushed Brian over the edge, and I kind of chuckled because there was virtually none of that the rest of the way.

I kind of thought that the flurry of sweeping right before that much have been what pushed Brian over the edge, and I kind of chuckled because there was virtually none of that the rest of the way.
I noted some spots where it sounded like he was playing ahead of the beat, but wouldn't say for sure since I listened at lower volumes at work and on a laptop. Thought they playing was very nice overall, just thought he was pushing the tempo a bit in places. I probably should listen at home though before putting that in print. LOL Oh well, that's what the "edit" button is for.

That was cool!

And it also reminds me that I want to put an EBMM bass up for sale on Craigslist. :p

Good performance.... without a doubt, I would say just too medically sterile for my taste! I would rather see a few things with high static content! the hairs must rise!

Back